Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 02-20-2014, 04:46 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Default Feedback for my app icon and itunes screenshots

Hello all,

I've just released a simple maths app for kids and was looking from any honest feedback and thoughts you guys/gals have on my app icon and screenshots, especially your first impressions on seeing it on the itunes page.

itunes link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/simple-pinky-maths/id806199682?ls=1&mt=8
More details: http://www.appvism.com/projects/simple-pinky-maths.html

What do you think? Yay or nay? Appreciate any thoughts (and social media sharing too! )

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2014, 06:17 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

My first impression on looking at the screenshots was "It's too pink" - but then I realized that it was called "Pinky Maths", so that does make sense

Was breaking the word "Pinky" in two in the title screen a design decision? Personally, I would have preferred that the word was kept as a single word because it might be confusing as to what was meant. But that might just be me ...

I get the concept but do wonder if it would be fun for kids to play with simple shapes which are all the same shade of colour? What is your target age range? Are you expecting the child to play the game by themselves? Or do you expect an adult to explain the concepts (such as circles being 1 unit and triangles being 10) in case the child is too young to understand/read?
Old 03-13-2014, 10:06 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

What is the last screen?

You could enhance the screens with call-outs so that it's more clear what is going on. (They don't have to be pure screenshots)

On the screen with the equation I saw what you were going for, but the next screen says 1/10 with a similar screen, which could be confusing.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:18 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

On the title screen, I would rejoin the word "Pinky" so that the three words are stacked on top of each other like so:

Simple.
Pinky.
Maths!

As for the icon, it definitely captures the aesthetic of the game in a simple way. Great Job!

-Jak
Old 03-14-2014, 04:46 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

Looks great, although you may want to thicken up in the white lines on the app icon so it doesn't disappear for lower resolution versions of the icon.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:54 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

My only comment would be to reinforce what Jakintosh said above, plus also add "Maths" isn't a common usage in North America and seems like a typo. I know it's a common shortening of the word "mathematics", but I only know that because I did a four second google search... which is more than the average consumer might do.

Anyway, short version: Stack the title words like was suggested above and change "Maths" to "Math" for us dumb 'Murricans.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:38 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

The icon is great, but the screen shots make it (for me, atleast) hard to see what you do in the game.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:05 AM
iPod Touch (2nd Gen), OS 4.x

Default Pink pink pink...

It's maths for girls, right? It better have to be.

I don't want to go through this but of course it's got nothing to do with what I think of pink. Pink is fine. Mmh whether parents will dl this for their 4, 5, 6, 7 year old boy... remains to be seen.

imho the icon is spot on, the mmh... monochromatic pink of the screenshots does not convince however. And the font showing in screenshots (smaller text) does not feel casual enough?

If you (or others) want to comment on my screenshots and icon as well (already in store), ready to get some flak.

link => https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-strain/id816387993?mt=8

If anything, just a little white / padding would actually make this pink shine pinker.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:21 PM
Banned
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Too pink, especially two pinks and white, looks like a dating app or something girly, the icons ok, I'd advise just change the colours, I'd go white background with primary colours and some secondary colours if primary's are not enough, seen as it's aimed at children, I think that should help keep the colours playfull and childlike. I'd use a round font for the same reason.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:20 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

I'd add callouts to the screenshots so people understand better what they illustrate. 1 screenshot = 1 key feature = 1 call out.
Also the icon could be clearer about the promise of the game (maths): when I first saw it, I thought it was for a kind of pink Pong (pun not intended ^^) instead of a maths game.
Good luck !