Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-20-2014, 07:54 PM
Developer

Default Word Mage - Destroy enemies by playing a fast-paced word game

The game I've been working on independently for over a year is finally released, please check it out! It breaths life into the word jumble category by introducing variety, time-pressure, and aspiration. It already ranks as a top 25 paid word game in the app store!

Last edited by dominostars; 02-20-2014 at 08:33 PM..
Old 02-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

This looks really cool.
So how do the mechanics work? Bigger words equal more powerful attacks? Is there any strategy for the actual battling (like prioritizing certain spells, etc.)?
Old 02-20-2014, 08:26 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxsta View Post
This looks really cool.
So how do the mechanics work? Bigger words equal more powerful attacks? Is there any strategy for the actual battling (like prioritizing certain spells, etc.)?
The core game plays a bit like Boggle or Scramble with friends, except when you find words you deal damage instead of adding to a point total. The longer the word, the bigger the attack. It builds from there as you gain passive and active abilities that reward using longer words or playing a certain way.

Most of the strategy comes from the different kinds of status effects enemies will cast on you. For instance, Ogres cast "Stupify", which requires you to use two letter words. So, in the stages with Ogres, a basic strategy is to wait to spell 2-letter words until you fight them. Different spells are more effective against different enemies and situations, so prioritizing the right ones also plays a role. Later levels and bosses get more involved, but that should give you an idea.

Thanks for your interest! Let me know if you want any more details, I didn't want to bombard you with information straight away.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:26 PM
Developer

Here are some free codes for people to try the game, I would love to get some feedback!

XXHY6YTLK96W
7NE4PT6WTX4H
P46FKKX69TAM
T66TEEYPERRX
4YPNH3H4EA6E
Old 02-20-2014, 10:42 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Redeemed XXHY6YTLK96W, thank you!
Old 02-20-2014, 10:53 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Okay, played the tutorial and first few levels and I'm really enjoying this game. The presentation is excellent. Word game and combat/RPG elements mix together much better than I imagined.

The gameplay has an urgency that I was not expecting, due to a time/"health" bar that drops each turn. Getting damaged reduces the bar faster and it adds some nice intensity as you search for new words. You also have a variety of one-use spells you can equip that do everything from lightning attacks to stopping time and revealing words. There's a whole bunch of other mechanics that flesh out the game: harder difficulties for each level, leveling up, items to collect to create new powers, different powers to discover and equip.

I definitely recommend Word Mage. It's fun, polished, and offers a cool unique take on word games.
---
Two questions for dev:
- What's the difference between difficulties? Bar drops faster?
- What kind of content/ideas to you have for updates? Would love to see a randomized endless mode

Last edited by Bronxsta; 02-20-2014 at 11:50 PM..
Old 02-20-2014, 11:02 PM
Developer

Thanks so much for the immediate feedback! If you have a minute I would really appreciate a review on the app store.

Harder difficulties lead to:
- Time bar drops faster
- More enemies
- (Sometimes) harder enemy types
- Harder word boards
- Better drop rates

My first content update, which will come soon, will have more achievements and an endless "practice mode". In the future, however, I'm beginning to design an "arena" of some sort, which will be a sort of "randomized endless mode". It would involve random enemy types, and its own unique reward structure.

Thanks again, seriously!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:08 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominostars View Post
Thanks so much for the immediate feedback! If you have a minute I would really appreciate a review on the app store.

Harder difficulties lead to:
- Time bar drops faster
- More enemies
- (Sometimes) harder enemy types
- Harder word boards
- Better drop rates

My first content update, which will come soon, will have more achievements and an endless "practice mode". In the future, however, I'm beginning to design an "arena" of some sort, which will be a sort of "randomized endless mode". It would involve random enemy types, and its own unique reward structure.

Thanks again, seriously!
Unfortunately, you can't review games received through promo codes. But I'm spreading the word elsewhere!

The future content sounds great, can't wait. I wasn't sure what to expect, but you really did a great job with this game. It's quite tense to have used all the "easy" words and trying to find a good word as the bar is almost done. And the pixel art is great as well.

One suggestion: have the words you used in a separate list than the 'all possible words' list when you complete a level. Could still keep the current list with the highlighted words, but it would easier and less scrolling to also have a list that only shows the words you used

Last edited by Bronxsta; 02-20-2014 at 11:14 PM..
Old 02-20-2014, 11:32 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

I grabbed 7NE4PT6WTX4H. I am really looking forward to playing this!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:32 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxsta View Post
Unfortunately, you can't review games received through promo codes.
Hah, I had no idea! I feel like this didn't used to be the case but maybe I'm probably misremembering.

Quote:
One suggestion: have the words you used in a separate list than the 'all possible words' list when you complete a level. Could still keep the current list with the highlighted words, but it would easier and less scrolling to also have a list that only shows the words you used
This would be a pretty easy thing to add to my existing word-length filters, I'll look into it!