★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Suggestion: new rule

02-21-2014, 08:00 PM
#1
Suggestion: new rule

No doubt I'll get flak for this but it think I have a valid point.

I would like to propose that the Touch Arcade forum BANS all and any 'win $ for reviewing my app' threads.

These are a blight on the site and are ONLY used to generate fake 5* reviews on The App Store which in turn misleads future buyers of the said game. This is a pretty despicable and underhand way of getting reviews and I do not think Touch Arcade should allow this practice any longer.

Last iOS game I bought: 6/1/15
02-21-2014, 08:05 PM
#2
There's nothing wrong with a developer encouraging people to review their app. Even the big name developers encourage their players to post a rating and/or review on the app store.

It's only dodgy if a developer says: "Give my app a 5-star review" in exchange for some reward. Whereas requesting (or rewarding) an honest review/rating is fine.

Last edited by Red1; 02-21-2014 at 08:09 PM.

02-21-2014, 08:21 PM
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1 View Post
There's nothing wrong with a developer encouraging people to review their app. Even the big name developers encourage their players to post a rating and/or review on the app store.

It's only dodgy if a developer says: "Give my app a 5-star review" in exchange for some reward. Whereas requesting (or rewarding) an honest review/rating is fine.
They don't say 'give me a 5*' but let's be totally honest here, people put 5* ratings on it no matter how good or crap it is, in the faint hope of winning something. I'm also willing to bet no 1* review ever won one of these 'so-called' competitions.

'Review and win' is terrible and creates heaps of fake reviews, if a dev wants ppl to play their game, why not 'highest score after 1 week wins'? That way ppl will play AND the App Store won't be swamped with fake reviews?

Either way, I think it's a very dubious practice.

Last iOS game I bought: 6/1/15

Last edited by Mene; 02-21-2014 at 08:27 PM.
02-21-2014, 08:45 PM
#4
You've obviously never participated in one of these contests. I don't enter very often, but I've won around 3-4 of them. The devs ask for honest and constructive reviews, so that's what I give them. I rarely rate an app 5 stars, unless I think it really deserves it. The winner is chosen randomly. I'm sure you could look at the majority of winners reviews, and many would not be 5 stars. I use these contests to help devs make there games better, discover new apps and maybe even win something along the way. It's a win-win for everyone.
02-21-2014, 08:48 PM
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinS View Post
You've obviously never participated in one of these contests. I don't enter very often, but I've won around 3-4 of them. The devs ask for honest and constructive reviews, so that's what I give them. I rarely rate an app 5 stars, unless I think it really deserves it. The winner is chosen randomly. I'm sure you could look at the majority of winners reviews, and many would not be 5 stars. I use these contests to help devs make there games better, discover new apps and maybe even win something along the way. It's a win-win for everyone.
I've not, I see them as a bribe and quite frankly I value my integrity higher than an App Store card.

Last iOS game I bought: 6/1/15
02-21-2014, 08:52 PM
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mene View Post
I've not, I see them as a bribe and quite frankly I value my integrity higher than an App Store card.
So you're against reviewing games fairly and providing constructive feedback to developers? Anyways, it's your choice.
02-22-2014, 04:41 AM
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinS View Post
So you're against reviewing games fairly and providing constructive feedback to developers? Anyways, it's your choice.
No, you totally missed my point..

Last iOS game I bought: 6/1/15
02-22-2014, 07:11 AM
#8
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 10,468
I think I'll enter some competitions and if I hate the game I'll leave a 1 star review. Something tells me I won't win any
02-22-2014, 08:06 AM
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
I think I'll enter some competitions and if I hate the game I'll leave a 1 star review. Something tells me I won't win any
Please do, I'd love to know if you win with a 1* review

...I won't hold my breath

Last iOS game I bought: 6/1/15