Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-21-2014, 09:49 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Default Calculords (by Ninja Crime)

Stumbled upon this-looks interesting. DL'ing now, dont know if IAPS are required.

I know there are other members who will want to give this a shot.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:04 PM

Downloading
Nice find
Old 02-21-2014, 10:28 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Finally! Seanbaby has come through! I've been waiting for this for months! No updates! Yes!!!!
Old 02-21-2014, 10:30 PM

Multiplayer?
Old 02-21-2014, 11:04 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

ARGH I SUCK AT MATH! Very unique game and the iap seems unnecessary.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:09 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Screenshot look good, will give a try.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:44 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

I already bought the fun club pass. So far it's good stuff! Gotta love 2nd grade math! It's funny, it's strategic and it's fair. The fun club removes ads and gives you a bonus card at the end of every victory. Every other IAP are for card packs which shows exactly what cards you get and they're all $1.99. In fact, every IAP is $1.99.

If anyone remembers reading EGM (Electronic Gaming Monthly) this is Seanbabys game. He's a comedic writer and would write reviews of the most ridiculous games available on consoles.

Last edited by ScotDamn; 02-21-2014 at 11:49 PM..
Old 02-22-2014, 11:08 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

So after playing this for a while now, I have some impressions.

IAP Overview:
As a free to play game, they don't come much more complete. The IAP is pretty much completely optional. There's IAP for the "Calculords Fun Club" which is $1.99 and rewards you with an extra bonus card with every victory. You also get rarer card rewards. There are 5 other IAP card packs which come with 6 cards each (all cards are shown in description) and cost $1.99 each. Once you unlock a card pack, it also unlocks those cards to be rewarded from victories - so you can obtain more of them. Most importantly - NO Consumable IAP

Gameplay Overview:
You're given a base deck of "cards" or units to use in battle. You can have up to 3 decks with a minimum of 30 cards. You deploy your units to attack the enemy and his base. There are 3 lanes to deploy units. Placing units to attack the enemy units to break through and ultimately damage their base. It isn't unlike Combat Monsters, but in 2D with lanes and a retro look.

The units all have their own unique skills and attributes. Some spawn 2 units with one card, some are flying units, some are push units (primarily for taking point in a line - usually having more HP than other cards but less Attack points) some are tactical, which might buff all the units in a line or just attack the enemy base, bypassing all the enemy units. There's plenty of variety.

Number Puzzles:
This part is super unique to the game. Each unit has an assigned number that never changes. Let's say you're given 4 cards. One is assigned a 2, another 34, 21, and so on. You're given 6 numbers (1-9) to add, subtract, or multiply to achieve a solution to deploy either one or all of your units, depending on your math skillz. The cool part is getting a bonus. This is when you use all 6 numbers when deploying units. So you can make it so you deploy one or a few, but as long as you use all the numbers, you get a point bonus and another set of cards and numbers which allows you to go again - before the end of your turn. If you use all of these numbers as well, you get a double point bonus which goes towards leveling up your base. This is a really neat mechanic.

Personal Input:
I'm no math wiz, so it took me a few goes to get my brain around the math. It's super easy stuff though, and is something we've all learned early in school. Once you get your mind into it, everything becomes much more intuitive. I find it a refreshing way to keep my mind thinking, in a totally different way than in nearly any other video game.

The game has charm. It will repeatedly talk smack in battles. I was taking my time deploying units and the enemy would poke fun at how long I was taking, some pretty funny stuff. This certainly helps keep it a fun atmosphere.

Things that need work:
Sometimes, the chat tips can disappear before I finish reading it. This seemed to be more apparent in ths beginning of the game.

Another mark is it currently lacks MP. Playing against the AI is fun and challenging so far, but MP could really add a lot to this game.

It also seems to lack any sort of GC achievements/leader boards - though this is the last thing I look for in a game - I know some enjoy it and it would be a nice addition.

If you're remotely interested, I suggest you check it out since it takes up minimal space and is a complete experience without spending cash on IAP. Also for it's unique gameplay. It doesn't hurt that Seanbaby who conceived, designed, and did all the art work for the game is one hilarious kat.

Installed Size: 64.5 MB

http://www.seanbaby.com/

Last edited by ScotDamn; 02-22-2014 at 11:58 AM..
Old 02-22-2014, 11:24 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

I'm really enjoying this as well. ScotDamn has given a great overview of the game, but he didn't talk about the interest "lands" aspect of the deck building. Instead of different lands ala MtG that you need to play your cards you can add different numbers to your deck. If you're playing a deck with big cards then add bigger numbers. If you don't have too many even numbers then consider dropping a 2 and a 4. There is a lot of depth to the game. The card iconography is also great, once you learn the symbols you'll never have to double tap on a card to learn about it which will speed up the game. You also progress fairly quickly in the game, at level 5 you are already given one additional card slot in your hand. All the opponents have 10+ achievements of sort of accomplish. There is a ton to do.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:33 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_neo View Post
I'm really enjoying this as well. ScotDamn has given a great overview of the game, but he didn't talk about the interest "lands" aspect of the deck building. Instead of different lands ala MtG that you need to play your cards you can add different numbers to your deck. If you're playing a deck with big cards then add bigger numbers. If you don't have too many even numbers then consider dropping a 2 and a 4. There is a lot of depth to the game. The card iconography is also great, once you learn the symbols you'll never have to double tap on a card to learn about it which will speed up the game. You also progress fairly quickly in the game, at level 5 you are already given one additional card slot in your hand. All the opponents have 10+ achievements of sort of accomplish. There is a ton to do.
Thanks for the compliment! You are absolutely correct. I forgot to mention you can handpick what numbers you have for your deck. It's quite configurable in that sense! Thanks for pointing that out!

Edit: That's a great way to look at it. I have limited experience with MtG but it can certainly be looked at as land in a number sense. Great insight there.

Last edited by ScotDamn; 02-22-2014 at 11:36 AM..