Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 02-24-2014, 04:21 PM

Default Why do games want permission to phone calls?

I don't know if it happens on iOS, but almost every game I have tried to DL for my Galaxy S4 asks for permission to access phone calls. When I see that, I won't DL it..... what's the deal there? Are these game makers just overstepping their boundaries?
Old 02-24-2014, 04:43 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Deuce View Post
I don't know if it happens on iOS, but almost every game I have tried to DL for my Galaxy S4 asks for permission to access phone calls. When I see that, I won't DL it..... what's the deal there? Are these game makers just overstepping their boundaries?
I'm so glad you asked this, I've been dying to ask the same but worried I'd look silly for not knowing, I got my s4 last week and the permissions you have to give for every download kinda scare me, it doesn't happen on iOS so it kinda freaked me out, the only stuff I've loaded on it are ones that I have from trusted devs on here.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:32 PM

I don't mind looking silly to get the information I need.

I just read that about 60% of all Android apps have some malicious code in them. That should be enough for anybody to be concerned with downloading Android apps.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:03 AM

Here you go

Quote:
Phone calls -- read phone state and identity

The most abused, and least understood permission of them all. Some apps need to know if your phone is about to ring. Maybe they need to save state (ie freeze what they're doing) for when the incoming call screen pops up, or they need to turn over audio control back to the OS. But this is also the one that can read, and send your IMEI and other identifying information back to some random server in Russia or God knows where. Often, these unique numbers are needed as piracy control, or to keep track of you without using any more sensitive personal information. The issue is when developers use these numbers for things like remembering your preferences for online services or app history. Remember the big wallpaper app scare? After some investigation, we learned the developer was using your device ID to keep track of your favorite wallpapers on his servers. Seemingly harmless, but not the right way to handle it. My only advice here is to be sure you trust the developers of the app when you see this one. Or take a moment to email them and ask why they need this permission.
http://www.androidcentral.com/look-a...on-permissions
Old 02-25-2014, 07:36 AM

Thank you.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:38 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Deuce View Post
I don't mind looking silly to get the information I need.

I just read that about 60% of all Android apps have some malicious code in them. That should be enough for anybody to be concerned with downloading Android apps.
yet u guys still sticking to an android phone even if it rose your concern , LOL