Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-26-2014, 06:01 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Out There (By Mi-Clos)

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by killercow; 02-27-2014 at 02:53 AM..
Old 02-26-2014, 06:04 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Yes! Now we just need FTL
Old 02-26-2014, 06:05 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Here's my preview from the beta build:

Out There is a Rogue Like experience in the vein of FTL but it strays from that formula in a lot of ways. The basic premise is simple: You are an adventurer who's lost in space. If you die, you need to start from scratch. Your goal is to find your way back to Earth. This is where the game is closer to FTL: You access a map of the galaxy and you choose a star system that is in range of your ship to continue your exploration of space and to be one step closer of Earth. In each system you'll find new planets, starbases and stars that you'll be able to explore. On some of those you'll encounter some strange alien races.

In every system that you enter there's a chance that something will happen. A random event that will cripple your ship, give you more resources or maybe even let you encounter a new race. Adopting the "Choose Your Own Adventure" template you'll have multiple choices and they'll lead to different consequences. The aliens that you'll encounter will speak a foreign language that you'll have to learn. The interesting thing is that even though you lose all progress when you die, you can still write every word that you learn and be able to decode it yourself, without the game's help.

Unlike FTL there's no combat. Your goal is to survive, your ship is not equipped with any kind of weapons that could destroy ships directly (I found a "weapon" that doesn't target ships but I'm not gonna spoil its use). This means that your main activity will consist in saving up resources and using them in a sparse manner. Out There features three kind of resources or lifebars: Fuel, Oxygen and your ship's Hull.

You repair and maintain those by finding materials on planet and extracting them from the planet's ground. They all correspond to a different element (He is fuel for example) and they are all pretty hard to find. Don't think that a game without combat is a walk in the park. As it currently stands, the game can be quite brutal and suffers a bit from FTL's chance factor that can ruin a perfect playthrough.

You'll also be able to find formulas that will help you craft new gear for your ship. But those will take a space in your cargo bay and thus will leave you with less resources. You can also find some new ships along the way that will have more cargo space and new abilities.

The audio is absolutely top notch (with the music made by the composer of Antichamber's OST) and the art is so gorgeous to look at. Although the beta lacks content for now, Out There has the potential to be something truly unique for any Sci-Fi fan and iOS gamer in general.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:09 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 8.x

Cheers KC for those impressions, much appreciated!
Old 02-26-2014, 06:09 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Woot!! Let the fight for my time and attention between this and Autumn Dynasty Warlords begin
Old 02-26-2014, 06:12 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baracus View Post
Woot!! Let the fight for my time and attention between this and Autumn Dynasty Warlords begin
Old 02-26-2014, 06:16 AM

Default Game Impressions

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Old 02-26-2014, 06:17 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah!

That's as constructive a comment as I can muster I'm afraid!
Old 02-26-2014, 06:18 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercow View Post
HAHA... don't worry I will be having both... just my time is very limited working about 15 to 18 hours a day at the moment on my own games, so only get an hour or so gaming in until the weekends

And usually that hour is spent reading TA instead of playing

Super excited to get into both tho! Most excited I've been for new games for a long time
Old 02-26-2014, 06:22 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Aroooooga!!!!!!!!!

It's finally out there