Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-04-2014, 08:21 AM

Default FlippyBit. Retro-styled flappybirdalism

Hey people,

In case there's someone out there who's not yet tired of Flappy Bird clones, FlippyBit is my take on this "genre". Flappy Bird already had "retro" graphics, but FlippyBit is a somewhat deeper cut. Think "Atari 2600" instead of "NES".

$1, no ads, no IAP. The way nature intended. More here. If you're familiar with Flappy Bird, the gameplay and features of FlippyBit will be unsurprising. If you're an old geezer like me, the ancient stylings may warm your hardened old heart.

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Old 03-04-2014, 08:46 AM

At least this one looks cool with the Atari style graphics, but there's no way I can get myself to pay any amount of money for a flappy anything...
Old 03-04-2014, 08:47 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

I loveeeeeee old skool Atari 2600 style graphics (Basically lots of blocks !). But yeah i'll pass on this, shame this dev didnt try to recreate a classic Atari game (or a new game with Atari graphics) instead of the usual daily clone
Old 03-04-2014, 03:15 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

I thought Apple was banning these clones? Everyday there seems to be a new flap crap
Old 03-04-2014, 04:07 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deixa View Post
I thought Apple was banning these clones? Everyday there seems to be a new flap crap
Apple is only rejecting them if they have the word flappy in the name.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:45 PM

Deixa: AFAIK Apple is refusing apps that abuse "Flappy Bird" as a search term, especially for apps that are completely unrelated. I haven't heard of them refusing a game just because it's in an overrepresented genre.

As for the price that a few have mentioned: Sure, this could have been a free app. I'll be the first to admit that I didn't spend a huge amount of time on this one. But as a developer I want to do my part to fight against the "race to the bottom" pricing trend, and also I really don't want to ugly up my apps with ads (I've tried that before, with disappointing results) or with a freemium model relying on IAP (which I just dislike on principle). So, if people don't want to pay a buck for this simple game, they have plenty of other options out there. I'm trying to provide an option for people, like me, who dislike ads and IAP.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknutting View Post
As a developer I want to do my part to fight against the "race to the bottom" pricing trend.
What about the "race to the bottom" creativity trend?
Old 03-04-2014, 05:35 PM

Just because ..... I bought the game. It's not too bad but it crashes after 1 time around. I rebooted my iPhone 5S and it crashed again after only playing 1 time.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bez View Post
What about the "race to the bottom" creativity trend?
Touché! I'm the first to admit this app is extremely derivative. Note that I didn't use any words like "original" in my app description.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsami View Post
Just because ..... I bought the game. It's not too bad but it crashes after 1 time around. I rebooted my iPhone 5S and it crashed again after only playing 1 time.
Hmmm, sorry to hear that. I haven't actually tested on a 5S (just the 64-bit simulator), I'll have to take a look and see if I find something wrong.