Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

View Poll Results: Is iPad only a big deal?
Yes, it's a big deal to me. 7 31.82%
No, not that big of a deal to me. 15 68.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2014, 09:20 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Default How do you feel about iPad only?

We are currently developing a cowboy-styled steampunk RPG called Age of Grit. You can check out the thread here. I know there's a lot of iPhone only gamers out there and we don't want them to be left out. But I'm not sure if the game's UI is going to work very well on the limited real estate of an iPhone screen. Then again--maybe we can figure something out.

So my question is how big of a deal is it to everyone here if a game is iPad only? I assume if you don't have an iPad it would be an issue, but maybe there's some people out there with iPads who still like it when a game is on both platforms. Either way: what do you think?

Learn more about Age of Grit.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:33 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

I hardly ever buy ipad only games, the only one i can think of is Baldurs Gate. SW KOTOR was eventually made universal and thats got a lot of icons etc.

I think its a bold move going ipad only as others have said you cut out a huge market, ipod touch/iphone market etc.

The game looks great and i love RPG's (Aralon/Ravensword etc), they all work very well on a small screen.

I hope this is universal but like i say its a bold move to go ipad only i think
Old 03-04-2014, 09:40 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

If I had an Air, I wouldn't mind but I've been stuck with my iPad 2. I currently rarely buy iPad-only games because things just look and run better on my iPhone 5 which I also happen to bring with me everywhere.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:47 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoen View Post
If I had an Air, I wouldn't mind but I've been stuck with my iPad 2. I currently rarely buy iPad-only games because things just look and run better on my iPhone 5 which I also happen to bring with me everywhere.
Same for me, i do love my ipad but like you say my iphone goes with me everywhere so i just tend to do most of my games on my iphone
Old 03-04-2014, 09:50 AM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

I don't play RPG's because I don't have an iPad. If I owned one, I'd start playing RPG's. I think that is the case with most iPhone/touch users. They only play RPG's on the iPad. But a universal app is welcome over just an iPad only app.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:48 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

I mostly game on my iPad anyway. When I do want to game on my phone, there are more than enough games which do work really well on the small phone screen, so I have no desire to try playing games which work on my phone, but are a struggle to play on such a small screen. So for me it just depends on the game. If you think you'd have to compromise a lot to get the game to work on a phone, then don't bother, otherwise sure it'll expand your market if it's universal.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:19 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I don't mind either way as long as the game/app still works on my IPad. I prefer my IPad for games because the IPod screen is small. When there is so much info going on.

I've stuck to my IPad 1 forever. At Christmas time, I finally broke down and got the IPad air almost free because of the points I accumulated from my credit/debit card. Got a bunch of best buy cards so I ended up paying probably around 100 or 110. US dollars for it. I use it mostly for photography demos.

Of corse if the app won't work on either IPad b/c it is IPod/phone only then my mind would change from don't matter to does matter.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:57 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

I always appreciate when a developer tries to make it work on a smaller screen. If I owned an iPad, it wouldn't matter as much. It sucks to miss out on a lot of great iPad only games.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:49 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Now that I have a new iPad (I used to have to use an iPad 1) it doesn't matter. A few months ago though, i would have been upset.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:55 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Don't game on a phone, fingers too big, screen too small.

So Ipad only is ok, but so is universal.

I can see how it can become a headache though (programming for universal I mean).