Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-07-2014, 11:46 AM

Default Pocket Starships: Space MMO / MMORPG (by Spectacle Games)

Old 03-07-2014, 11:51 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 8.x

Thought I'd post this one.
I tried this out yesterday when I saw it pop up on the "New Games" section. It's actually not too bad. I haven't been able to really dig into it yet, but there seems to be a lot going on. Multiplayer, mining, tons of upgrades. The graphics are pretty and the controls (dual stick) seem to work well. I've only played about maybe 20 mins of it so far, so I'm not sure of the IAPs, but it's a F2P game, so they ARE there.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:08 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Old 03-09-2014, 12:51 AM

It's taken a bit of effort to get into this one and find out what it's all about. The game itself does not do a great job of holding your hand.

The core gameplay is a twin stick shooter with a space theme. There is the ubiquitous leveling system leading the better guns, ships etc. these seem to be produced through the asteroids you mine on missions. The individual weapons and ships can be leveled up too.

The most common mission type I have been on was a wave based defense mission, with the time between the waves allowing you time to mine. Your job is to defend the ore processer that is processing your ore.

I've also ventured into a pvp area, although it was being dominated by my faction and any luckless enemy players that spawned were dealt with quickly. I can see potential there for alliance based raids and defenses.

I suspect the freemium aspects are pay to win rather than a paywall, as it's a competitive game.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:06 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

Pocket Starships is absolutely littered with freemium mechanics, timers aplenty and possibly lesser paywalls (some rare starships and weapons, although this is just a suspicion). And there are definitively real-money purchases which will help you win battles against other players. Pocket Starships is highly guilty of violating the "Sell variety, not advantage" creed of fair freemium models.

So this is not for the player whose eyebrows start twitching at the sight of free-2-play limitations, and most certainly not for anyone looking for even grounds, balanced competitive play and skill-based victories.

Also, the number of activities are currently very limited, and there is not even a fraction of the sense of freedom of choice which is one of the defining principles of open space games.

But here's the thing... there is quite a fun and partially polished action MMO underneath the layers of sad (and possibly sadly necessary) monetization principles.

Just about since the very inception of the App Store, I've thought to myself: "A dual stick space shooter MMO, a super-mini-EVE/Vendetta Online, a Escape Velocity Nova Online, would probably be one of the MMO models best suited for the smartphone paradigm".

This is the closest thing. For that reason and the gameplay alone, I will keep this on my device and see just how long I will find myself called back to this particular miniaturized version of the final frontier.

On that note... Ambrosia dudes, where is Escape Velocity for iOS already?

Last edited by Ayjona; 03-10-2014 at 10:00 PM..
Old 03-11-2014, 02:59 AM
Banned
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

This game is truly disgusting. It keeps popping up with buy VIP kit or buy this buy that.. ALL timers can be skipped by using funny money that you pay for with real cash.

Every thing in this game has a timer. even regaining health after you die.

The combat is pretty nice but gawd damn this game is smeared in gawd awful freemium bullshit.

STAY AWAY. Don't give them money

You can buy your way through all crafting with funny money even if you don't have the resources

PAY TO WIN.

If you had enough money you could stay in the space station and max everything except for pvp rank.

Last edited by FuurinRei; 03-11-2014 at 03:04 AM..
Old 03-11-2014, 10:51 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

I didn't make it far enough to run into any timers - it would send me on a mission to take out a base or something and upon jumping to that location it was mass chaos, couldn't tell who I was supposed to be shooting or not shooting before overwhelming lag kept freezing the action making it unplayable for me. I'll try again this evening but if it's the same experience I'll uninstall.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:18 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Just found this in the AppStore and it's rly cool imo.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:38 PM

It's actually not bad, I do like the combat and upgrading along with different weapons ect

But I do agree it has a lot of p2w which is unfortunate but expected really. But without playing more it's hard to tell if people paying just get there quicker to the end game or still have an advantage end game.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:22 PM

Default Game Impressions