Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-09-2014, 07:36 PM

Default Outernauts - (by Insomniac Games, Inc.)

Old 03-09-2014, 07:43 PM

Hmm. Soft launch, oh boy. Boo.

The game looks cool nonetheless.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:49 PM

Default Game Impressions

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Old 03-09-2014, 09:03 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Why the heck would Insomniac release a timer-based game like this…?
Old 03-09-2014, 09:06 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

I played this when it was on Facebook. F2P always online crap with nice graphics.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:36 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroVoid View Post
Why the heck would Insomniac release a timer-based game like this…?
you mean energies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kioshi View Post
I played this when it was on Facebook. F2P always online crap with nice graphics.
the people who played Outernauts on Facebook will start all over again
Old 06-04-2014, 10:43 PM

Now this is out worldwide anyone playing it? Seems like a good reworking no requirement for bugging friends to progress.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:04 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

So this is a global launch today or a long time ago?
Old 06-05-2014, 01:28 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
So this is a global launch today or a long time ago?
it is launched globally last month
Old 06-05-2014, 07:35 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

(Before I go into my giant ramble below, I am enjoying this game despite all its money-making gimmicks. Since you can trade gifts with friends or alliance members, feel free to add me on Game Center: Peridot Weapon if you're looking for someone to swap the daily gifts with.)

Yeah, it's been around for awhile but there wasn't really much interest until it ended up as the App of The Week last Thursday. Most people, like myself, never even knew there WAS a Facebook version a couple years ago (that got cancelled around the end of last year). Guess it didn't have enough to make it stand out from the crowd there.

If you can look past the fact that it borrows just about EVERY classic delaying tactic and money making boost in the book, it'd actually take a decent amount of strategy to create a team and grow it to its full potential. A properly-developed Uncommon team can wipe the floor with an all-Rare one that's shoddily assembled and enhanced.

However, it's pay-to-win and frustratingly restrictive like nobody's business. You have to enjoy a game that's fighting tooth and nail to keep you from improving, and coming up with ways to get better anyway. Fortunately, I'm a max-minner and I'm used to that kind of abuse

A list of the delaying tactics - all of which can be sped up or purchased with gems, of course:

* Let's start with the spaceship. It determines your money holding capacity, energy available for PvE/PvP battles, and amount of "monster points" you have for your team. If you want to buy better buildings, you'll need a higher max money capacity. If you want rarer monsters on your team, you'll need more monster points. Every time you upgrade your spaceship you need to be holding the MAXIMUM possible amount of money to do it. Naturally, this inflates in a hurry (I think the third upgrade is already at 500,000 coins).

* You start with one "breeder" and one "hatcher" station, which can be increased to five each (at Gem rates similar to Clash of Clans or games like that). The breeder can be enhanced up to five times to improve speed of completion and egg rarity, the hatcher has similar enhancements. (This is a "tech" upgrade which affects all breeders or hatchers. So if you've already spent money on more breeders, naturally you'll want to spend even MORE to improve all of the breeders!)

* Six different elements, 3+ different types of creature per element per rarity. Six levels of rarity. Depending on the elements of creatures you breed together, you'll have certain possible elements as a result. Interestingly, you'll never get the SAME element of either of the type you're breeding. Two high-level monsters breeding together have a chance of creating an egg of the next-highest rarity, but only when you're a high enough player level to be allowed to GET those eggs.

* You need habitats to store creatures. Each habitat can only hold three creatures, each island can only hold three habitats. Habitats need to be upgraded to hold rarer creatures. Islands need to be bought (with level restrictions of when they're available). Extra creatures can be put in Cryo Storage so you'll have the element types you need for proper breeding combinations later, but they can't make money, fight or be improved there. And even Cryo Storage has limited capacity which you need to pay to upgrade!

* Monsters can be upgraded to Level 25. You'll need to "evolve" them twice along the way, which will change their form and let you select one of two special abilities (which vary by monster type), but you'll need to have collected Runes through battle or selling hatched eggs to evolve. The runes, of course, also exist by rarity - and you'll often have the eggs available before you can find the runes you need! (Gems can fix that, of course. Gems solve everything!)

* Monsters can be "enhanced" by Crystals. You can find them through battle, or get superior ones by crystallizing your own Monsters and using them as 'feeder' for another monster. Monsters can only use same-element crystals, and only four crystals per monster. Unless ...

* Monsters can be "fused" with other monsters of the same type. This will give a stat boost (dependent on the stats and level of the monster you're fusing with it) AND let the new monster use even more crystals to grow further! This is borrowing the idea from several other collectable games of creating a "perfect team" by fusing crystal-enhanced monsters with other crystal-enhanced monsters and then fusing THOSE together with each other. You can fuse at least three times ... and of course you need a Fusion Generator building that needs to be "upgraded" to fuse the higher rarities. Do I even need to mention that at this point?

* Creatures being bred or fused are unavailable to be used in your team for PvE or PvP actions. This means your gold reserves can easily be plundered if you're breeding or improving your best creatures and don't have back-up monsters available for your team! You can get around this by being on-line 24-7 (heh), having low enough cash reserves that it's not worth attacking you, or the standard "protection shields" that can be bought (or earned automatically after being attacked).

... I could go on, but you get the idea by now. Any gimmick you've ever seen to encourage you to reach for the wallet is on display here. But at the same time, it's a pretty balanced number-crunching exercise for people who enjoy that kind of thing, and since there's so many variables, an "absolute best team" is practically impossible to obtain.

But it's SUCH a cash cow. A "competitive" player could easily throw $50 at the game to start just to get 4 Hatchers, 4 Breeders and max their tech out. With the speed upgrades (if I'm doing my math right), that would give them a 16x production boost compared to a Freemium player. No way anyone can complete against THAT.

If you actually READ all of that, more power to you.