Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-11-2014, 11:38 PM
iPad Air

Default Fleet Combat 2: Shattered Oceans - (By TRIAD GENE)

HD version: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id817311082?mt=8

TRIADGENE WEB FACEBOOK TWITTER

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by TRIADGENE; 03-11-2014 at 11:49 PM..
Old 03-12-2014, 01:14 AM
iPad Air

It looks like there's a ton of content here, all nicely polished. I thought it was probably my turn to TOFTT so I hit the HD purchase link. Unfortunately, I saw that it offered IAPs, and with the app so new, I couldn't tell if they consisted of consumables, content, or unlocks. Afraid I'll have to wait...
Old 03-12-2014, 05:26 AM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubisububi View Post
It looks like there's a ton of content here, all nicely polished. I thought it was probably my turn to TOFTT so I hit the HD purchase link. Unfortunately, I saw that it offered IAPs, and with the app so new, I couldn't tell if they consisted of consumables, content, or unlocks. Afraid I'll have to wait...
It is only 99, but what rang alarm bells for me was the screenshots. I have found that games which squeeze multiple screen shots into each screen shot, typically aren't fun to play. Why would that be so?
Old 03-12-2014, 08:34 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

Let me preface this by saying that I have not played long enough to determine if there is a push towards IAP in order to defeat more difficult levels. If there is, there is a free mode where the player can grind for progression in order to overcome obstacles (not saying I would do so myself, but might alleviate some fears).

However, there are no paywalls (content locked away behind IAP) and no timers. Only an option to purchase additional xp (the same currency that you gain from gameplay).

The game itself is actually a very pleasant casual mix of RTS and tower defense (with active ship abilities that makes gameplay a little bit more involving than just positioning ships), with a nice update and progression system (additional ship types can be purchased in between missions, and every ship type can be individually upgraded in several categories. Ships can also be customized with lots of different weapons).

One thing I appreciate especially is the attempt to weave a complex story grounded in politics and international relations. It is not well presented, it might not have much or any bearing on gameplay, and I'm not sure the narrative succeeds in its attempt. But I appreciate the effort regardless.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:24 AM
iPad Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadisGreat View Post
It is only 99, but what rang alarm bells for me was the screenshots. I have found that games which squeeze multiple screen shots into each screen shot, typically aren't fun to play. Why would that be so?
The HD version is $3, but based on the detailed entry just above me, I'll throw down.

By the way, loved your point regarding screenshots. Totally agree.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:37 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubisububi View Post
By the way, loved your point regarding screenshots. Totally agree.
I'm surprised developers even do mashup screenshots anymore. It has almost become synonymous with an attempt to shift focus away from gameplay, at least in the minds of TAers.

By the way, do note my implicit emphasis on "casual" in my description Autumn Dynasty this ain't. But if you are on the prowl for something very accessible and relaxingly enjoyable in the RTS/TD vein, this is probably one of the finer candidates.