Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-13-2014, 04:25 PM
awp69 awp69 is offline
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 8,255
Default Apple rejects Hunted Cow WW II game for labeling Germans and Russians "enemies"?

Apple is getting crazy. Not sure if anyone saw this on Pocket Tactics but this is ridiculous. It's HISTORY.

It's like I currently live in the Southern US. If a Civil War game came out, I wouldn't throw a fit if it depicted the North as being on the right side of the battle. Just like I'm sure most Germans would agree that Nazis were on the wrong side of WW II.

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/io...sians-enemies/

Getting way too PC if this keeps happening.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-13-2014, 04:44 PM
awp69 awp69 is offline
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 8,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by majiktrip View Post
Since when did touch arcade forums become a place to complain? I'm guessing your not 10yrs old and can realize making a simple change wont hurt.. However you feel about them rejecting the game, others probably feel about you posting this childish thread. Rename whatever the problem is and get over it. Kthxbaii
Wow. Childish? Think that's the first time I've been called that before on these forums.

Whatever. I guess real history is too adult for me. Yikes.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-13-2014, 04:48 PM
squashy squashy is offline
Senior Member
iPad 2, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Garden of Sinners
Posts: 1,689
Default

Lol. Typical Apple. Always play it safe.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-13-2014, 05:03 PM
Primoz Primoz is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,788
Default

Awp, dont take this the wrong way, but I think only Americans think that there is a "right" and a "wrong" side in a war.

And only Americans could get mad, when they are not allowed to call the people from the other side enemies.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-13-2014, 05:34 PM
JCho133 JCho133 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
Wow. Childish? Think that's the first time I've been called that before on these forums.

Whatever. I guess real history is too adult for me. Yikes.
Only babies make logical points. Go play with your rattle

Last edited by JCho133; 03-13-2014 at 06:07 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-13-2014, 05:42 PM
awp69 awp69 is offline
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 8,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primoz View Post
Awp, dont take this the wrong way, but I think only Americans think that there is a "right" and a "wrong" side in a war.

And only Americans could get mad, when they are not allowed to call the people from the other side enemies.
So you think the Nazis and the extermination of Jews wasn't the wrong side? And that slavery in the case of the Civil War was the right side?

I think more than Americans would agree that the Holocaust and slavery were bad things. There were plenty of other wars that it's more of a grey area.

All I'm saying also is that if you play as the Americans, English, French, Polish or "allied" countries, what's wrong with saying the other side was the enemy? If a game allows you to play as Germans them they could call us enemies.

It's all just history and to sanitize it just to be politically correct is silly. It was a war. So do we need to say the guys we are fighting are just the "other side".

I'm not going to get into a political battle but to patronize Americans as the only people who think there is a right and wrong is also ridiculous. Hell, at least unlike other countries we're happy to call out our government when we think they're wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-13-2014, 05:55 PM
Primoz Primoz is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
So you think the Nazis and the extermination of Jews wasn't the wrong side? And that slavery in the case of the Civil War was the right side?

I think more than Americans would agree that the Holocaust and slavery were bad things. There were plenty of other wars that it's more of a grey area.

All I'm saying also is that if you play as the Americans, English, French, Polish or "allied" countries, what's wrong with saying the other side was the enemy? If a game allows you to play as Germans them they could call us enemies.

It's all just history and to sanitize it just to be politically correct is silly. It was a war. So do we need to say the guys we are fighting are just the "other side".

I'm not going to get into a political battle but to patronize Americans as the only people who think there is a right and wrong is also ridiculous. Hell, at least unlike other countries we're happy to call out our government when we think they're wrong.
Jesus, you really want to get into this discussion?

Only a selected few (compared to the mass) of the germans knew about the concentration camps. And why do people always start with concentration camps when there are Nazis mentioned? There were concentration camps before, there were concentration camps after that, there are concentration camps today. It's just the damn Bernays and his propaganda. Americans threw two atomic bombs on completely innocent people as well, not even knowing what consequences it would have and still has. Why gets this mentioned so rarely? Nobody ever mentions how innocent Germans were treated after WW1 as well.

Anyway, I think it's completely alright if you play as an American and another ally calls Germans "enemies". But it's definitely not appropriate if the game's narrative says that they are the enemies.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-13-2014, 05:58 PM
ednan ednan is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
Apple is getting crazy. Not sure if anyone saw this on Pocket Tactics but this is ridiculous. It's HISTORY.

It's like I currently live in the Southern US. If a Civil War game came out, I wouldn't throw a fit if it depicted the North as being on the right side of the battle. Just like I'm sure most Germans would agree that Nazis were on the wrong side of WW II.

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/io...sians-enemies/

Getting way too PC if this keeps happening.
If you are a german, you might find that germans are not enemies, even if you dislike what the Nazis did.

There is no right or wrong side in a war. Each one has their own interests. Don't be nave to think that the Allies were trying to save the world. They were just trying to save their butts and their economic interests.
That said, it's a quite simple fix. Just remove the references. No big deal. And spot on decision from Apple reviewers.

By the way, throwing 2 atomic bombs isn't exactly a good example. Sorry but you should go study and think about your values before saying stupid things like that.

Last edited by ednan; 03-13-2014 at 06:01 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-13-2014, 06:06 PM
awp69 awp69 is offline
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 8,255
Default

^^ Not to keep going on this, but if you think I think Americans have always done the right thing, you're wrong. I don't think the atomic bombs were the right thing to do. Just like not all Americans supported slavery and we fought each other over it.

And I don't think any war game is saying that "all" Germans or Americans or whatever are enemies. It's just in war, of course you are going to call the other army's troops enemies. I'm sure there were Nazi troops that didn't believe in what they were fighting for.

Anyway, just think it's silly to have a war game and not be able to use the term "enemy". It's not like either side went up and hugged each other.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-13-2014, 06:10 PM
JCho133 JCho133 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ednan View Post
If you are a german, you might find that germans are not enemies, even if you dislike what the Nazis did.

There is no right or wrong side in a war. Each one has their own interests. Don't be nave to think that the Allies were trying to save the world. They were just trying to save their butts and their economic interests.
That said, it's a quite simple fix. Just remove the references. No big deal. And spot on decision from Apple reviewers.

By the way, throwing 2 atomic bombs isn't exactly a good example. Sorry but you should go study and think about your values before saying stupid things like that.
That makes zero sense because it's in the context of a historical event. Back in the time of WWII, the Germans were the American's enemies. And vice versa.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent