★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: A battle/puzzle game with monsters so epic that you'll forget you're still in the bathroom.

Youre a busy hero. You have dragons to rescue and princesses to defeat. Or is it the other way around? Join the other players in a race to the fire-erupting, skull-faced volcano lair at the top of the world map. Its called Mount Death Dread Doom Skull. Within it, you will find the ultimate prize. The path there is an unforgettable adventure, fraught with peril (and puns). Battle dragons, zombies, and over a hundred unique monsters serving delusional arch villains.

It will take you less than 10 seconds to learn how to launch attacks using the battle gems. Drag your wickedly-talented finger over 3 or more matching gems to launch a simple attack. Each type of gem does something different. Learn new strategies, powers, animated skills, and grow stronger with every step of your journey. But your first opponent is a Red Dragon boss fight. Good luck with that!

FUN, ADDICTIVE & UNIQUE GAMEPLAY! Battle Gems is the evolution of our original PvP web puzzle game. It features over the top fantasy characters and interesting new game mechanics.

150+ FULLY ANIMATED MONSTERS! Battle crazy and bizarre creatures including Octobear (Octopus + Bear?), Brutalcorn (you sorta need to see this one for yourself), Gandolphin (You shall not splash!), crazy elemental and undead dragons and more...

BEAUTIFUL WORLD MAP WITH 450+ QUESTS! Every step of the way towards Mount Death Dread Doom Skull is filled with exciting quests and side challenges. Race your friends to the top.

COLLECT EVERY WEAPON, ARMOR & PET! Are you a rare item hunter? With Battle Gems unlimited inventory, you can get literally every item in the entire game. And you will want to! Not just because you can customize your character to look however you want, but each and every item you own permanently increases your power. Items are obtained in game using gold or by completing quests.

PLAYER VS PLAYER (PvP)! Battle your friends and then send them screenshots of your victory!

BECOME THE BATTLE KING! Do you have what it takes to journey all the way to the top of the world map and face the diabolical (OMG I love using the word diabolical) dragon which lives in the volcanic lair!?

PUNS! But you should download and install the game anyway.

ALSO FEATURES
* Boss Powers - defeat bosses and take their powers
* Cutscenes if you never played an Artix Entertainment game before... oh boy!
* Animated Skills fireballs, jump spin attacks, pet tornados... you get the idea
* An insane cast of quirky characters
* Challenge fights
* Full Character Customization

Follow @ArtixKrieger on Twitter
Like http://www.Facebook.com/BattleGems on Facebook

Battle Gems is the first major mobile game created by the friendly and creative team at Artix Entertainment you know, the guys who make web games like AdventureQuest & DragonFable.

Parents & wives/husbands of obsessive video gamers, please read!

This game includes:
- The ability to connect to Facebook (Age 13+)
- The option to make in-app purchases. Whoever is paying the devices bill better be told first!
- In the future we will most likely add links to other games we create.
03-18-2014, 06:50 AM
This is a lil gem right here.

It seems to be similar to many other app store games but there's way more in here. That map is gigantic (I love it)! And then the items list looks huge. I can tell they put a lot of effort into this. The best part is that I can play it offline so it's great for my bad connectivity at home.

I think I'll give this game a go and even purchase the founder package (iap for removing energy - though not cheap) if it still plays as good in the next few days.

Gamecenter ID: Raidriar // VainGlory: GodKing // Monster Hunter Freedom Unite: Mikasa

03-18-2014, 06:52 AM
Wait wut.. is this based on Battleon AdventureQuest? that brings me back. I used to play that many years ago.
03-18-2014, 07:12 AM
I'm still in my first battle, but my initial impressions are very high
You start out in a character customization screen, and get to create your own
The options here are pretty nice

After that you jump directly into a tutorial battle

It's a standard swipe and match gems to attack
Each move brings up very nice animations

Again, it's earlyin the game for me, but if you like the various other match-3/rpg/battle hybrids then this one should be played.
03-18-2014, 07:17 AM
I do wish it accepted diagonal inputs.

Only thing that's lacking besides that is I feel the interface doesn't seem smooth. It has the feeling like I'm playing an online game where buttons don't have sounds and there's a lag between button inputs (like loading). Luckily this doesn't happen during battle but I wish the UI was fixed so everything ran butter smooth like dungeon raid smoothness.

Gamecenter ID: Raidriar // VainGlory: GodKing // Monster Hunter Freedom Unite: Mikasa
03-18-2014, 07:33 AM
Further impressions:
- I also wish it accepted diagonal, but possibly that's a level-up down the road
- the map is seriously HUGE
- the shop has a lot of items to purchase, and get this, there's 17 shops. Only four are available now.
- there's some sort of energy system, which I fear is a timer.
- there's a $9.99 IAP which gets rid of the energy, gives you unlimited keys, 30% more gold! and a few other things. So this IAP appears to give you a premium experience. I wish it was $4.99 or so. If I keep playing until the weekend, the. I will probably spend the $10.

So far I'm really enjoying it, I just wish i could buy a premium version for a reasonable price.
03-18-2014, 07:46 AM
^ I have the same thoughts as you. Been a while since I've seen a match 3 game that really interested me and had a bit more depth / collecting. This game is actually pretty simple with depth but makes up for it with some great collectables and a giant map (so lots to do). I also wish equipment had different effects instead of all just pooling your level up but it makes it easier for you to "wear whatever you want" instead of just putting on the efficient gear. Good and bad but def less strategy.

I do wish that purchase was cheaper but it seems like this is a decent game. The energy is indeed a timer. Well I think I'll pay to get rid of it anyhow.

03-18-2014, 08:14 AM
So far I'm really loving this. Will buy the iap today to support (:
03-18-2014, 08:14 AM
I've been playing this for a bit this morning and its an interesting game, formulaic match-3 play but the quests are amusing and there is a gear element as well. Not sure how you just spending 10 bucks on it though.
03-18-2014, 08:42 AM
I'm loving the games humor.
I just battled a "Level 4 Forum Troll".

You have pets which you take into battle, and you can match the blocks with the paws to make your pet attack.
There's a quest which unlocks Flappy Bird as your pet.