★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

that spider game.....in a nut shell

08-16-2009, 06:41 AM
that spider game.....in a nut shell

Hi guys.

Yup, Spider: the secret of Bryce manor. technically and artistically it's a brilliant app.

it's a fab cool game, but i've completed totally each level about 5 times round. i've pressed buttons, finished secret rooms/compartments, turned things on/off, eaten every bug to eat, filled rooms with webs etc etc, and it upsets me to say for such a great game, i'm now COMPLETELY board with it.

i'm quite surprised there's so little rooms and levels to be honest. I've read and even participated in the 51 page thread going on, and understand there's more to do? i've read the spoilers and they already concur with my own findings. (not that i've trawled through each page meticulously).

But am i missing the point? what is the point? is there a point? the instructions dont make it too clear.
I'm in serious danger of never picking up this great app again because of this.

Last edited by sjleworthy; 08-16-2009 at 06:45 AM.
08-16-2009, 06:53 AM
There is only 1 point: did you enjoy it?

If you did then the money was well spent and the developers deserve the praise for entertaining you.

08-16-2009, 06:59 AM
Not sure why you needed to start a new thread about it, but nevermind.

This game has a number of modes as well as "mini games" that increase the challenge and extend the life of this great game. You went through it in "Adventure Mode". I suggest you try others for extra challenge.

there is "feeding frenzy" where you need to get as many bugs as you can in 3 minutes.
"Precision" where silk is limited in amount and length so you have to be very precise when setting your web. and 2 others.
I went all the way through it 3 times. Now on my 4th time and loving it.
The beauty of this game is that we unravel the mystery through the eyes of a spider who is travelling from room to room eating bugs, finding secret crevices, compartments and discovering the story of the family that lived there. The images tell us a story in a very subtle way, but at the end of the game you figure out what transpired in Bryce Manor by simply observing your surroundings, without being told anything. This is pure art. The spider is a sort of narrator who helps you progress through the story.

This is not just about eating bugs, although the process of catching them is done extremely well as well.

Hope I helped.
08-16-2009, 12:08 PM
You paid 99 cents and completed it 5 times over. Job done.

Anyway, one of the devs asked if anyone's gone for scores yet... and I don't think many people have. Get competitive, it'll take you ages to refine your technique. Try and complete the story mode with as many combos as possible, then refine your skills in the other modes.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
08-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
You paid $2.99 and completed it 5 times over. Job done.

Anyway, one of the devs asked if anyone's gone for scores yet... and I don't think many people have. Get competitive, it'll take you ages to refine your technique. Try and complete the story mode with as many combos as possible, then refine your skills in the other modes.
Corrected.

It's well worth the $2.99 though and honestly if you played it five times you must have got your moneys worth.

Games Uncovered / Twitter / YouTube
We are looking for reviewers to write at Games Uncovered. PM me if you are interested!
08-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palfince View Post
It's well worth the $2.99 though and honestly if you played it five times you must have got your moneys worth.
Seriously. I paid $10 to see a 90 minute movie last night. People here sure ask for alot out of an app.
08-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMc99 View Post
Seriously. I paid $10 to see a 90 minute movie last night. People here sure ask for alot out of an app.
Such an interesting phenomenon, isn't it?
08-16-2009, 12:33 PM
sorry guys, i didn't mean to sound too negative. it's a great app, i feel i fully got my moneys worth, and i'll try out the 'mini missions' for sure. i was just expecting something more from the main game, especially after everyone's convinced there's more to it. i'm just concerned about less lastability (in my case anyway) where idigit for example keeps me going and going and going. (i class myself as a real 5hit gamer, so if i can finish it this fast i must be missing the point)

perhaps an update or updates, with further screens in the future would be cool
08-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjleworthy View Post
i was just expecting something more from the main game, especially after everyone's convinced there's more to it.
I don't think anyone was expecting all the little secrets from this type of game. Highlight or quote to see the text.
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpo...3&postcount=47
08-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Oh yeah. I keep thinking everything's 99 cents now since about 95% of my games were, it's rare I go to $2.99.

Anyway Re: the main game, the devs have been listening to everything that's been suggested for updates, so there's definitely more content to come and the chances of it adding to or enhancing the story mode is pretty good.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ