Chinese publisher

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Alda Games, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Alda Games

Alda Games Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Brno, Czech Republic
    Hi there,

does anybody here any experience with Chinese publisher iPlayJoy?

Their representative has contacted us with the opportunity to publish our previous games (Android version) in China. I realize that Google Play is not "mainstream" in China market, so it could be an interesting way... But only what they want to is implement their own ad system or something, which won´t be in conflict with our own, they even translate the game for free. And this sounds kind a...

Thx for any feedback!

2. jumbee

jumbee New Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Hi Alda

how was your expirience with IPLAYJOY.COM?

thank you...

3. Alda Games

Feb 11, 2014
    Brno, Czech Republic
    Hi, well, we are preparing a build for them. But for now I can say, they are nice and helpful. But well, the most important will be results after submitting our game on Chinese stores. So, we are still waiting...

4. artcue

artcue Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Gamedeveloper, Co-Founder of Artcue
    Vienna, Austria
    If you do not give them access to your code, you should be fine ;-)

5. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    ask for an advance... even tiny
    if they refuse then back off.

JC

6. Alda Games

Feb 11, 2014
    Brno, Czech Republic
    We will see, the game should reach Chinese market soon, build has been sent so... We have to just wait.

7. Antony Blackett

Antony Blackett Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Male
    Game Developer
    Wellington, New Zealand
    If your game is already out in the west it's likely already pirated in China so there's not a lot you need to worry about. The worst that can happen is getting stuck with a bad, real publisher without an option to switch to a good one if you get an offer.

8. Alda Games

Feb 11, 2014
    Brno, Czech Republic
    Yeah, the game is already published, but problem is that Google Play in China is really not the main source for Android games.

9. lores3000

lores3000 New Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Switzerland
    We've just been contacted by them as well. @Alda Games: Do you have anything new to add? Is it working out?

10. Alda Games

Feb 11, 2014
    Brno, Czech Republic
    Well, we have managed some additional downloads, must admit it, but about the revenue, it cannot be said the same. But it costed us nothing but little of time.

11. frogvsflies

frogvsflies Member

Apr 10, 2014
    Defend the Frog Kingdom
    Ottawa
    Hi Alda,

We got approached by iPlayJoy too regarding our game! hows your experience with them so far? :)

thanks

12. Nikira

Nikira Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Level Design
    Munich
    #12 Nikira, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  13. AppsAsia

AppsAsia Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
  14. Alda Games

Feb 11, 2014
    Brno, Czech Republic
    Well, actually it really seems that they contact everyone in order to reach some impact. Anyway, before we decided to sign the contract I´ve read this forum thread and found that "well, there is nothing to loose".

So basically, they don´t charge anything, they even did localization for free (the game as well as banners, etc.). We have to use AdMob in the game but when I asked how are they going to make money, the answer was about their own ad system (just ask for it, you will even get a screenshot of how does it look like).

Nikira understands it right, they distributed that over (in our case) 18 main Chinese stores. I had some negotiations with another Chinese friend and she confirmed that these stores are really spread among China market. Actually, it might be, our downloads from China really increased (I am talking about the game World of Cheese, 奶酪英雄 in Chinese :D ) but I cannot say the same about the reveneus unfortunately.

About the game itself, they actually did some changes in origin APK. We only integrated language and AdMob (banner and interestial as well). But, when I downloaded the Chinese version, our programmer checked the APK and here we are:

- it seesm that they extended competencies related to phone: unlocking the phone, alarm set up to call http request with notifications each 30 or 60 minutes.
    - rest remains without changes, but I guess it depends on particular game.

I do not think they are some huge publisher but at least we invested only little bit time for integrate their stuff. But as I mentioned before we will probably try out some another publisher. In my opinion we cannot afford to ignore Chinese market :)

Hope, I helped,
    Martin from

15. FrOfCh

FrOfCh New Member

Sep 16, 2014
    I tried to work with iPlayJoy when released app on Android. They were asked to change the application, and then stole it. They changed my ads on their own and no longer met. In my case:

They are rascals. DO NOT WORK WITH THEM.

16. Alda Games

Feb 11, 2014
    Brno, Czech Republic
    Well, I am sorry for that. We have no that kind of experience, they added their ads but our system remained. And as I know so far, they didn´t steal the game :) And still responding on my e-mails, so...

I don´t try to defend them, actually we are going to try different ways in case of upcoming games for Chinese market.

17. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    I wouldn't give a lot of credit to an anonymous new account (1 post) without even a link to the games.

18. Alda Games

Feb 11, 2014
    Brno, Czech Republic
    Ouch, I didn´t noticed that, you are right. Well seems like shady practices...

19. iplayallday

iplayallday Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2012
    #19 iplayallday, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    Hi Alda Games
    I've PM'ed you, do you mind sharing IPlayJoy contact with me?
    We've published our game with them and I've been trying to get in touch with them since they havent released any reports for us since July.

The person that used to be the contact person seems no longer online

*if any of you guys know how to contact them and would like to share with me, that'll be really helpful

Thanks

20. 1stSPIN

1stSPIN Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    We are checking this publisher out and will get back to you when we have more info. The Chinese market is going to be the biggest and should not be ignored but when you deal with Chinese you have to be careful because there are no laws that you can call on to protect you. :) If Windows, Twenty Century Fox, books, name brand water, beer etc get ripped off then what hope do you have when things go south?