Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-21-2014, 11:23 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Default Into the Shadows (by Dogbot Studios)

Old 03-21-2014, 11:42 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

I do love a good ARPG dungeon crawler and this looks to be perfectly enjoyable. The screenshots don't really do it justice - it is a little rough round the edges but it's far prettier than the images would have you believe. I have to play it much more to be able to give impressions but I'd definitely say it's worth trying if you like Diablo-lites
Old 03-21-2014, 11:45 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Thanks Pete! Keep up the good work.

I enjoy these types of games, even though Darkstone just came out I will definitely check this one out.

Edit: IAP $1.99 to unlock the full game.

Last edited by ojtitus; 03-21-2014 at 11:49 AM..
Old 03-21-2014, 11:51 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojtitus View Post
Thanks Pete! Keep up the good work.

I enjoy these types of games, even though Darkstone just came out I will definitely check this one out.
It fills quite a different niche to Darkstone, which is nice. It's a typical shallow dungeon crawler but to be honest, I'm fine with that. Much like roguelikes, they don't have to be outstanding for me to enjoy them.

I love the artstyle, but the environments are a little bland. Enemies are repeated quite a bit but they do look pretty cool. The UI is a little rough but it's not a massive issue. As I'm still early in the game, it's hard to tell if the gameplay will get repetitive or stay as simple as it starts but the controls are solid and there seems to be plenty of content and challenge.

For free (I'll comment on IAPs when I find them) I can't think of any reason not to give it a go! Thanks ojtitus

Edit: Got totally demolished by the first boss but at least it made it clear what the IAP situation is. You can make a one time purchase for the ability to revive when you die for a small amount of coins. Unfortunately, I couldn't see how much it costs without entering my password which always makes me uncomfortable.

At least this way, you can play with one life for free or essentially unlock the full game. I definitely think it will be very hard to progress without buying the unlock but it's a much nicer pay system than it could have been!

Last edited by PeteOzzy; 03-21-2014 at 11:56 AM..
Old 03-21-2014, 12:22 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOzzy View Post
It fills quite a different niche to Darkstone, which is nice. It's a typical shallow dungeon crawler but to be honest, I'm fine with that. Much like roguelikes, they don't have to be outstanding for me to enjoy them.

I love the artstyle, but the environments are a little bland. Enemies are repeated quite a bit but they do look pretty cool. The UI is a little rough but it's not a massive issue. As I'm still early in the game, it's hard to tell if the gameplay will get repetitive or stay as simple as it starts but the controls are solid and there seems to be plenty of content and challenge.

For free (I'll comment on IAPs when I find them) I can't think of any reason not to give it a go! Thanks ojtitus

Edit: Got totally demolished by the first boss but at least it made it clear what the IAP situation is. You can make a one time purchase for the ability to revive when you die for a small amount of coins. Unfortunately, I couldn't see how much it costs without entering my password which always makes me uncomfortable.

At least this way, you can play with one life for free or essentially unlock the full game. I definitely think it will be very hard to progress without buying the unlock but it's a much nicer pay system than it could have been!
Thanks for the impressions, Pete. I played it for a bit and found the IAP cost to be $1.99. I personally like the art and animation but agree with what you've said so far. Neat find.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:33 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

A few minor annoyances I've found so far:
- no auto-targeting on spells combined with small hit areas and only shooting straight (fireball at least) makes it frustrating
- your sword swing seems smaller than it looks, making it hard to judge distances and get close enough to hit, which is compounded by:
- you stop moving when you attack, which makes hitting moving targets pretty annoying

Edit: maybe someone can confirm, but it seems like the dungeon layouts and monsters are always the same, with just the traps and barrels/boxes/chests being randomly placed.

Last edited by strivemind; 03-21-2014 at 12:39 PM..
Old 03-21-2014, 12:50 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 8.x

Title sounds like a ninja game.

Saving this spot
Old 03-21-2014, 02:36 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

early impression:

Old 03-22-2014, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOzzy View Post

I have that same issue; the password blocking the price issue, that is. Both on my iPad Air and iPhone 5S... Seems like an issue that would require Apple's immediate attention, but I guess not.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:05 AM
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x

Does anyone have impressions? Is the one time charge worth it? Any long range weapons? Thanks in advance...