★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Collaboration for a side project - coders/artists/musicians wanted

08-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Collaboration for a side project - coders/artists/musicians wanted

Hey team!

I'm looking to create a game for the iphone/ipod touch, and was wondering if there are any coders, artists, and musicians out there who would like to collaborate on a project. As a full-time student and employee, this would be a side project for myself, so I'm looking more for people who are new to developing, and would like to get their feet wet/build a portfolio. We all contribute, we all share the profits.

I have a game script written and combat system designed for a 2D sprite-based (perhaps 3D depending on the artist) RPG with 30+ hours of gameplay. If you are interested, please reply to this thread or message me and we'll get in contact.

08-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Hey there

What exactly are you looking to do? I've been wanting to collaborate with someone for a long time. I don't have the ability to program but I do more of the creative stuff, music, drawing, stor etc

shoot me an email

08-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Forgive me if I've missed something, but where would you fit into such a project? It kind of seems like you're the idea man. Coders, musicians and artists kind of make up a complete team already.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
08-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Kinda agreeing with Mindfield here. While it's great that you have a game script and all (most people are like, "I have a cool game idea. Two sentences can pretty much sum it up. Code it for me and we'll split the profits 50/50), I doubt that anyone'll wanna take the risk of teaming up with you, unless they know you closely and personally.
08-17-2009, 01:02 AM
I hear you both Mindfield and Kamazar, I think that every person who's ever played a video game has come up with some idea that they think they can make into a game. 99% of them couldn't write a line of code or draw a decent stickman. I can write a line of code, and draw a stickman WITH eyebrows, but I'm nowhere near good enough at either to actually create a decent game.

What I do have is a character development, combat, and magic system that I designed several years ago, that has proved to be balanced and fun, and provide equal parts of action and strategy as a pen-and-paper system. I've added some more complicated elements for an electronic version (the calculations took too long to do to implement in a pen-and-paper setting) that need to be tested and balanced, but overall the system works great!

I also have a story that spans to approx. 20-25 hours of gameplay (more depending on combat and leveling up), with original characters complete with back stories/side quests/flashbacks. A world created with different cultures, governments, and conflicts that shape the plot and affect the characters within. The script contains dialogue for every major event in the plot (NPC/townsfolk dialogue not completed), as well as the general layout of each scene and the actions of the characters who play it out. Choreographing sprites on a computer screen is not unlike staging real people in a play. I work as a professional dancer, choreographer, and stage director/producer, and my talents lie in creating a story, developing characters, and the ability to communicate and connect with an audience.

My contributions to the project would be the RPG system (CD, magic, Combat), the story (script, characters, environment), marketing (I have graduated college with a major in marketing, and have gone back to complete a degree in accounting), and directing the "play", as it were (what the characters do/say).

I'm a pretty busy person, so this would be a side project for me and a work of passion. I'm not asking professional coders to quit their job to collaborate. I'm hoping there are some people out there who have some skills they want to practice and/or apply, and a passion for stories. Im looking for people like students or emerging artists who have been thinking of collaborating on a project like this, whether it be for fun, practice, or to gain experience or build a portfolio.

Because of the amount of work involved, I think the game should be a paid application, and because it is a side project, I think it's fair that everyone split the profits for equal contributions of work. Mindfield and Kamazar make a good point, in that it would be hard for me to find people who don't know me personally. But regardless, I thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone is interested, and go from there.

It's probably a long shot, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take, right? So hit me back if you're interested!