Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-23-2014, 08:00 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Default Red Wizard (by Charles Baker)

Roguelike anyone?

Old 03-23-2014, 08:48 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

I'm really enjoying this. I have to be upfront and say that I tend to get very passionate when I'm enjoying a game and roguelikes are by far my favourite genre, so be aware that some of my hyperbole may be just that.

Anyway, it's a simple roguelike. All the usual features are here and a couple have been moulded to create a unique personality. Any roguelike veterans will feel at home immediately as combat and exploration follow the tried and tested formulas. I certainly don't see that as a bad thing, but it I feel it's important to note that it's not going to change your view of the genre if you're vehemently against it.

The hunger mechanic is quite nicely approached; you start with a small amount of rations in your inventory and every four turns you consume one. This is your primary means of healing - unlike other roguelikes, you don't recover health by waiting a turn. This creates a nice balance and tension when you have to weigh up healing versus diminishing supplies. It also features equipment you need to identify and consumables with unknown effects which is a great feature that is normally missing from roguelike-lites.

I would prefer an optional control system for the iPad as tapping the space you want to move to can be awkward given the larger screen size. It would also be beneficial to be able to zoom out slightly. Currently, doing so turns the screen into a map which is a neat feature but when you enter a new room, it would be nice to be able to see how many enemies there are.
The last criticism I would make would be when you tap on a square across the screen, it would be preferable if the move was cancelled once an enemy intercepts you. Given the small display, this happens fairly often and it can feel a little unfair.

All of that said, the game is well made and enjoyable. It's also free with an IAP to remove ads which I haven't even noticed. I'm hugely looking forward to playing this some more!
Old 03-23-2014, 10:40 PM

What PeteOzzy said.

You can scroll the screen though, Pete.
Place and hold your finger by the edge of the screen and drag towards the middle.

I really enjoy Roguelikes too. This one is great to hold me over until we get something better. Hoping Quest of Dungeons is my new favourite for a while.
Cardinal Quest 2 is pretty decent for now as well.

Last edited by Nobunaga; 03-23-2014 at 10:59 PM..
Old 03-23-2014, 10:44 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOzzy View Post
Roguelike anyone?
Pete, I think I'm just gonna put you on follow. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:05 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobunaga View Post
What PeteOzzy said.

You can scroll the screen though, Pete.
Place and hold your finger by the edge of the screen and drag towards the middle.

I really enjoy Roguelikes too. This one is great to hold me over until we get something better. Hoping Quest of Dungeons is my new favourite for a while.
Cardinal Quest 2 is pretty decent for now as well.
I figured I probably missed a resolution to one of the issues, that's the main problem with me providing impressions so early - I just get over-excited about introducing a new game!

Quest of Dungeons is launching on Steam on the 25th, we may well get that this Wednesday. A Rogue's Tale is also hitting PC this week but I don't know if that's coming to iOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotDamn View Post
Pete, I think I'm just gonna put you on follow. Thanks for the heads up.
I did actually consider PMing you about this. I didn't want to be rude and assume but if you wanted me to, I'd be more than happy to do that in the future when I find roguelikes
Old 03-24-2014, 12:37 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOzzy View Post
I did actually consider PMing you about this. I didn't want to be rude and assume but if you wanted me to, I'd be more than happy to do that in the future when I find roguelikes
It's all good, not gonna put out you out. I appreciate the thought though.

Consider me always interested in RL like you. It's probably one of my favorite types to play on mobile.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:11 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

The more I play of this the more I enjoy it. It's a fully premium game, so I tried to purchase the remove ads IAP despite there having been none even when playing connected to the internet and even that wasn't available. I just had a box labeled Coffee and no options to do anything. I shouldn't be complaining but I'd have happily paid a pound or two for this, for free it's a no brainer.

The hunger mechanic has evolved slightly beyond what I first believed it to be. Running out of food doesn't cost you health, it just reduces the healing per 4 turns from 4 HP down to 1. So it's a noticeable penalty but it's not game over like other roguelikes

Its not a difficult game, which may appeal to some opposed to the generally brutal difficult the genre employs. But in lowering the difficulty, they've not removed any of the depth. There's so much loot per floor and with unidentified items being such a gamble, each playthrough remains interesting.

I'd love to see some player abilities. The title is slightly misleading in that you play solely as a warrior with only the basic bumping against an enemy to attack method so some spells and feats would be a great addition. Other than that, I would only want some UI tweaks mentioned earlier and a little more visual variation.

Hopefully the only reason this hasn't had as many comments is that it was posted on a Sunday, it definitely deserves to be played!
Old 03-24-2014, 03:13 AM

Default Game Impressions

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Old 03-24-2014, 06:37 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Downloading now.

Sometimes it takes a few days for iAds to synch in with a new app.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:05 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

This is a bit too easy for my taste. It has the elements of a true roguelike, but the difficulty is super easy which takes the fun away for me. It isn't bad and I like some aspects like the books, I'd just rather play others like Cardinal Quest 2 which offers a lot more.