★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Turbo Trainz is a fast paced train race which gets your heart thumping and your thumbs pumping!

Take up the challenge and race against the best drivers from around the world to compete for the Turbo Cup! Your opponents are cunning and will stop at nothing to win. Watch they dont fire a missile up your caboose, make you lose control with an oil spill or bully you off the rails with many other special tactics. You can fight back with many of your own abilities to even up the race!

If your opponents dont get you then the environments will test your limits! With broken tracks, earthquakes, crazy mazes and pesky animals, just to name a few. Youre in for a rough time!

FEATURES:
Compete in 12 tracks split across 3 Cups you must unlock. Each track is set in 1 of 4 challenging environments!
A huge range of unique obstacles throughout all tracks to interact with or try and avoid.
10 unique abilities and special weapons to pickup throughout the race.
8 crazy trains to choose from with their own unique abilities.
03-23-2014, 08:48 AM
Me is TOFTT

03-23-2014, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baracus View Post
Me is TOFTT
Thanks matey, I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions - it has a lot of potential judging by the screenshots
03-23-2014, 09:18 AM
This is was actually a game released on the Wii.

Here's a trailer from that version:

Follow me on Twitter for all the latest iOS news. And sometimes more.
03-23-2014, 09:40 AM
Well I've done a couple of tracks and the painful tutorial, in 1 word = underwhelmed.

I don't want to be too unkind but I think these guys should stick to making the more boring and serious train simulator games, which are unique to them and actually pretty good for what they do. This just doesn't cut it compared to what they are obviously aiming for.

There no feeling of satisfaction, no sense of achievement, no real way of reliably judging obstacles because the camera is wildly moving around so much as you turn that you literally don't have time to see an obstacle you need to jump over right as you come out of a turn.

There is more to control here than your normal runner, with steering whilst pressing the "boost" button to get a speed increase (which doesn't feel good like a speed boost in say Sonic karting), jumping to change lanes (but it's all a bit too hard to judge when to do it), power ups to collect (which all feel pretty lame in use), and opponents to race (but the frame rate and swinging camera makes it hard to actually keep an eye on them) but none of it feels polished or good to use together. There's no satisfaction of firing a powerup at the right time or overtaking a train. When you get attacked with a powerup (like derailed or made slow or something) it just happens and there's no warning or anything you can do about it (which is fine) but adds to the unsatisfying experience of plodding through the levels.

It's like they went through the checklist of features and coder said yes it's done, but nobody played to see if they felt right.

Graphically it's pretty cheap too. No depth, basic textures, low detail models, z-fighting in places, even the static splash screens and backgrounds are low resolution and wishy washy colours. Menu animations are really tacky and the tutorial is as pedestrian as they come but you are forced through it to start the first race.

It all moves too fast for the frame rate they have, and actually made me feel a bit nauseous at a point with the low frame rate and fast turning.

On the plus side, seems you can pick any train and location you want to start with (yay for premium!) but the maps certainly don't look as nice as in those 6 small screenshots. The range of stylised cartoon trains is pretty cool and imaginative but the actual graphics of them are very basic in game.

Basically it doesn't feel fun to control and don't think I will be going back any time soon

Last edited by Baracus; 03-23-2014 at 09:42 AM.
03-23-2014, 10:11 AM
Well, that is a massive shame. But thank you for the very detailed impressions, always good to have candid opinions from someone who expresses them well!
03-23-2014, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOzzy View Post
Well, that is a massive shame. But thank you for the very detailed impressions, always good to have candid opinions from someone who expresses them well!
No worries! Has been a while since I took one for the team (hardly much reason to these days with 90% of games being free anyway). It is a shame coz the concept could have worked - just needs something more.

Makes you realise that things with the quality of something like Agent Dash and Boson X don't just happen by accident

My gaming & gadget blog: http://hatenintendo.wordpress.com
03-23-2014, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baracus View Post
Makes you realise that things with the quality of something like Agent Dash and Boson X don't just happen by accident
This is quote worthy.

Thanks for the imps!

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
03-23-2014, 12:52 PM
Is there a lite version for this ?
03-23-2014, 03:39 PM
downloading now!

let the game speaks for itself

Beta Testing : Forgotten Memories: Alternate Realities, Sky Force 2014, Rush Rally 2

Last edited by redribbon; 03-23-2014 at 11:46 PM.