★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Ipad 4 vs Ipad air for gaming?

03-23-2014, 10:39 PM
#1
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 570
Ipad 4 vs Ipad air for gaming?

I want to upgrade from my ipad 2 finally. I still play some older games. Just wondering what would be the best? Ipad 4 would be cheaper. I really don't know what to do. Thanks for the help.
03-23-2014, 11:24 PM
#2
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Burlington, Vermont.
Posts: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodrocks123 View Post
I want to upgrade from my ipad 2 finally. I still play some older games. Just wondering what would be the best? Ipad 4 would be cheaper. I really don't know what to do. Thanks for the help.
As a dev, the Airs weight and overall slimmer profile is a nice upgrade for active users. However if it's just an accessory device then might not be worth it.

03-23-2014, 11:28 PM
#3
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 570
I use my ipad as my primary device. More than just games. Lots of web and email and doing lots of other stuff with utility apps.
03-23-2014, 11:36 PM
#4
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Burlington, Vermont.
Posts: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodrocks123 View Post
I use my ipad as my primary device. More than just games. Lots of web and email and doing lots of other stuff with utility apps.
Nice to hear others using ipad as primary too!! If you can, head to a best buy or apple store and compare. Personally I found the upgrades well worth the marginal increase in cost.
03-24-2014, 12:01 AM
#5
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 570
I just don't know if a iPad air would be worth the 100 dollars more. I do like that it has 64 bit CPU. I just don't know.
03-24-2014, 12:51 AM
#6
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 25
I do not own any of the two but I'm planning to buy one in the future.. I hope someone will provide a more detailed comparison. I'm planning to use the device primarily to play games
03-24-2014, 02:04 AM
#7
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonuvaGames View Post
Nice to hear others using ipad as primary too!! If you can, head to a best buy or apple store and compare. Personally I found the upgrades well worth the marginal increase in cost.
And if you are going to buy (or have one local), check out microcenter, they always have sales.
03-24-2014, 02:49 AM
#8
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodrocks123 View Post
I just don't know if a iPad air would be worth the 100 dollars more. I do like that it has 64 bit CPU. I just don't know.
That 64-bit CPU is not being utilized at its full potential because it requires minimum 4gb of RAM to show its true power. The iPad air & iPhone 5s only have 1gb of RAM. Right now it is a gimmick (future proofed for next model ihardware)
03-24-2014, 03:04 AM
#9
iPad Air all the way. I have owned iPad 3 and 4 before i got the Air.

The air is future proof and is faster in general.
03-24-2014, 05:01 AM
#10
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: France
Posts: 3,532
I've owned both an iPad 4 and an iPad air (that I'm currently using).

The iPad Air is lighter, the form factor is better and it's simply a device that you can hold for longer periods of time. Because you're upgrading from an iPad 2 this is important as the iPad 4 is heavier than your second generation device.

Now it's also true that the iPad 4 performs a bit better in everyday tasks. The 64bits Cpu found in the air is using more ram and you can't have a lot of tabs open. Your air will crash from time to time and multitasking will be limited, forcing you to reload your tabs and games. This is quite annoying and one of the biggest disappointment with the latest iPad. This is compensated by a faster cpu but still, Apple could have added more Ram...

Finally there's one thing that might surprise you with the air. The screen is... Different. When you tap it it feels less resistant and more "plastic". It's a bit weird at first but you'll get used to it eventually. That's one of the trade-off they had to make in order to get that bezel smaller.

I'd say go with the Air because it's future proof but personally I'd wait for this year's iPad which will hopefully have a lot more ram.

Follow me on Twitter for all the latest iOS news. And sometimes more.

Last edited by killercow; 03-24-2014 at 05:04 AM.