Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-31-2014, 02:14 PM

Default Slalom Car - A Top Down Endless Racer (by Nalin Sharma)

Hi All,

I just wanted to let you know that SlalomCar is now available on the App Store

This is a top-down endless racing game where you must weave your way through the cones and collect all the stars. Dodge all the obstacles, speed through the checkpoints and slalom your way to success.

Controls are simple tilt left and right, backed up by some cool 2D physics so that it feels realistic. Meanwhile, the rocket boost makes your car fly and go further.

Youtube Trailer is below:

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

The game is free at the moment.

I look forward to any feedback, suggestions that anyone may have in how to improve the game.

EDIT - 1.03 release is now out, so the video has been updated accordingly.

Graphics have been overhauled in this latest version with many obstacle graphics updated.

Added parallax scrolling with plants and palm trees to give a lovely scrolling effect and enhanced with building shadows to give a real depth to the action. All this plus a cool new 3D icon!

cheers

Nalin

Last edited by VideoMindGuy; 05-21-2014 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: Updated video for 1.03 release and features
Old 04-01-2014, 02:43 PM

My sincere apologies.

There is a technical issue that means Game Center will not work on version 1.0.

I have just submitted version 1.01 which will fix this, and hopefully it will be out soon.

thanks

Nalin
Old 04-02-2014, 03:48 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Could use some more work, I find the controls a bit annoying and that really puts me off and the scale of the items is really off. The cones are really huge compared to the car, but the road block sign is just ridiculous. Also when I collect the rocket, it makes it very difficult to land and drive on as the speed is so fast after that, that you will most certainly crash into something, I's suggest lowering the speed more before the car lands again. And the perspective of the artwork doesn't seem to match. The car is top-down but everything else seems to be at an angle.
Not trying to belittle your work here, just suggestions on what to fix.

I would also be nice if you could give an opinion on my game.
Link in the signature.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:59 AM

I find the controls a bit annoying and that really puts me off

What exactly is annoying and what would you do to improve it?

Essentially I simplified the steering such that when you tilt left or right, the speed reduces. Do nothing and it goes as fast as possible. Originally I did have an accelerator pedal, but removed it as I wanted to keep it simple - the down side is that by default the car goes faster. The other alternative is to have a brake pedal.

The cones are really huge compared to the car

This helps when you need to bounce off the cones sometimes to take you in to collect the Star, as sometime it is easy to miss.

but the road block sign is just ridiculous

Ok - so make that smaller - noted.

I's suggest lowering the speed more before the car lands again

Ok - noted

And the perspective of the artwork doesn't seem to match. The car is top-down but everything else seems to be at an angle.

Yeah maybe. I did think about having a very simplistic / minimalistic art style as they seem to be in vogue these days, but my focus initially is the gameplay to see if players like it and to tune it.

I would also be nice if you could give an opinion on my game
Ok - will try and get to this over the weekend.

Thanks for your feedback - much appreciated, as I am trying to create something new, something different, and hopefully something good.

cheers

Nalin

Last edited by VideoMindGuy; 04-02-2014 at 04:03 AM.. Reason: qualify controls
Old 04-03-2014, 05:32 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

I think it would help a lot if you flipped the view. So you would be driving towards the top of the screen.

The cones I suggest you replace with something that wouldn't look out of place at this scale. Barrels perhaps.

Also it could use some concept, right now I have no idea why the car explodes when I miss a star. Maybe add a timer to the game and increase it when you pass through a gate. That way when the timer runs out and you blow up, the player can deduce that there must have been a bomb in the car.

I like that the sound changes as the car speeds up or slows down and also the screech sounds and the smoke when you turn fast.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:03 AM

So you would be driving towards the top of the screen.

Thanks for this - something my brother mentioned to me a while back as well. I'll see how flexible the code is
Old 04-18-2014, 01:48 AM

Hi Everyone,

Version 1.02 has just been release on the AppStore!

This is a massive change which will make Slalom Car much easier to play and much more fun, so you can get higher scores!

1 The car now travels upwards which means that the tilt controls will feel far more intuitive.
2 A brake control has been added, simply touch the screen to brake.
3 The controls are now more tilt sensitive which makes the car much more responsive and easier to handle.
4 Stars have been made much bigger so they are easier to collect.
5 The vertical spacing between obstacles has increased significantly which makes turning much easier.
6 Kamcord video recording has been added to allow you to record and share video gameplay.
7 Facebook integration has been added so you can share your scores and achievements this way.

A long long time ago I wrote the Atari ST version of SuperSprint along with some friends. This game hopefully shares some of that same spirit

N
Old 05-21-2014, 10:51 AM

1.03 release is now out, so the video at the top has been updated accordingly.

Graphics have been overhauled in this latest version with many obstacle graphics updated.

Added parallax scrolling with plants and palm trees to give a lovely scrolling effect and enhanced with building shadows to give a real depth to the action. All this plus a cool new 3D icon!
Old 05-21-2014, 11:15 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoMindGuy View Post
A long long time ago I wrote the Atari ST version of SuperSprint along with some friends. This game hopefully shares some of that same spirit
Wait, you programmed THE Super Sprint??!
The one I'm actually thinking about?!