Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 03-31-2014, 10:13 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Default Future of single player gaming on iOS due to f2p popularity

The big concern I have with free to play is how it seems to really destroy the concept of the single player game. Look at Puzzle and Dragons. It's a fun game but it is purely social team building and dungeon runs. The 3DS port of PAD Z actually has a Pokemon like single player campaign, but that's a no go for the mobile version. It seems like most recent RPG's aside from Square Enix and Kemco are PAD or other card/team building clones with no story and often automated combat. No story or exploration as you would get in a single player experience. I'd love to see something like PAD Z on mobile, but it seems like even in Japan where mobile is insanely popular, it's all social type games with no single player depth at all.

The same goes for other genres as well. Look at how Gameloft essentially stripped single player out of Dungeon Hunter 3 and Six Guns.

I guess my question is if with more and more devs going towards f2p, games as service and online required, will single player campaigns be a rare exception on this platform in the future? Makes me a little sad if true.

Thoughts?
Old 03-31-2014, 10:28 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Usually just play and buy premium games nowadays. Getting bored of the freemium junk and flappy bird clones.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:27 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Usually just play and buy premium games nowadays. Getting bored of the freemium junk and flappy bird clones.
Yep, same here.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:43 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

I dont think we'll see the death of it. I'm fed up of games which require me to be online to play games. Actually loaded up Six Guns the other day, still single player but all the IAP's etc ruin it.

As theres SO many iOS games out there i think due to the wide mix we'll be okay.

I cant stand games which go on about twitter/facebook but sadly the 'kids' seem to like clicking on the buttons to get extra coins etc.

Quote:
You just used a promo code for another clone !

For me games like Ravensword/Shadow Sun are the games i want to support, huge great single player RPG's, people should buy these at full price to support the dev then hopefully we'll get more
Old 04-01-2014, 04:49 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
You just used a promo code for another clone !
Yes, but that doesn't mean I am not bored of 5,000,000 flappy bird clones (EP don't kill me for saying this )

Actually I got it mostly for the name.

Flappy Head

Wonder how Flappy Head will look. Hopefully really good.

Last edited by Connector; 04-01-2014 at 04:55 AM..
Old 04-01-2014, 04:59 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Yes, but that doesn't mean I am not bored of 5,000,000 flappy bird clones (EP don't kill me for saying this )
Haha... Well, there good clones and bad clones so it isnt a bad idea to keep a couple flappy games on your device.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:02 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

But again i'm not worried about the single player experience. I'm sure like many of you i have lots of different folders on my device for all types of games (single player i concentrate on). If the app store shut down tomorrow for a year i still have 100's of games to play.

Again being an 'oldie' its so good having classics from the 80's and 90's on my device, all on one device. A dream !!

We had all the Angry Bird clones, Temple Run clones, granted these Flappy clones are still around but it'll be something else in a few months time.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:13 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

I think developers often seem to think that the App Store is ONE market. It isn't. It's full of gamers of all types, from ultra casual to extremely hardcore.

Hardcore games will never, ever appeal to everyone. But we're talking about a big pool of potential customers here. Enough hardcore gamers are in that pool to support the niche.

I'd like to see developers market to that niche. Raise prices significantly, cut out all the social / timer / ad BS. Truly embrace the fact that your limited market, niche game will NEVER become number 1 on the charts. That's okay - the App Store is huge, and the audience is there if you look for it.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:22 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Plus a lot of the more 'retro' games which appeal to us oldies, i'm quite happy for those prices to be higher (no IAP crap etc).

After years of copying games as a kid at school on tape, i'm quite happy now buying as many games as i can to help out devs (after feeling guilty as a kid !)

I mean look at quality games like Baldurs Gate, SW KOTOR, premier price, sold by the bucketload which is great
Old 04-01-2014, 05:34 AM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Quote:

Actually I got it mostly for the name.

Flappy Head

Wonder how Flappy Head will look. Hopefully really good.
Hey, not all Flappy style games are crap. Mr. Flap and Flappy Golf are genuinely good games