★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Jumboo - introduction of our first iPhone game

08-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Jumboo - introduction of our first iPhone game

Hello guys,
I am Michal from Handjoy and I would like to introduce you our iPhone / iPod Touch game called Jumboo. It is our first game on iPhone, but we've created few J2ME games before. We decided to move on iPhone platform in the begining of July. Mac and everything Apple was completly new for us, but I think we handled it quite well and fast. We've been working on Jumboo last days and nights for 2 weeks right now and we plan to finish it this week.

It's still work in progress - few things are missing, some things will be changed, but overall we think there is enough to present it. We would like to know your opinion on our game.

Update 1.9.2009 > New trailer released!

First gameplay video

Here are first 3 screenshots of the game:

Jumboo is a game about one big gorilla. It's your main character and by simple slides of you finger you can easily control it. Your goal is to jump as high as possible - you can do short jumps, long jumps and even combos (with combos you can get higher score). It's simple in the beginning, but later on you have to be faster and faster, and do only long jumps in combos to survive.

For more information check out the game website: http://www.GorillaGoesHigh.com/ or stay in touch with latest news on game's Facebook or Twitter.

Last edited by Handjoy; 09-01-2009 at 04:00 PM.
08-17-2009, 06:43 PM
It looks interesting... however I am a bit confused about the gameplay...

7/26/10-- Matt Garza throws first no-hitter in Rays history!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyoHazuki View Post
It may strike you as disrespectful to ask questions, that's ok, it strikes me as stupid not to.

08-17-2009, 06:47 PM
It looks really nice. It looks kinda hard to control the gorilla.

Add me on Game Center: weisome
Beta Tested: America's Next Top Model, Earth Vs Moon, iPlutoid, Minigore, Ground Effect, GeoSpin, Contre Jour
08-17-2009, 10:36 PM
The game looks pretty fun, but do you have to bounce the gorilla off one of the side walls in order for him to jump?

Also, the music fits the game well, but I think you should definitely get rid of that "singing" voice and just leave the tribal sounding drum beats. No offense, but that voice could get really annoying, especially if it loops and keeps playing over and over.

Two guys walked into a bar. You think they would've seen it or something.
08-17-2009, 10:41 PM
looks interesting and I like the graphics but is that all you do no powerups, enemies, or anything extra. It seems that it will keep someone occupied for only a few minutes if all you do is go up on the platform and flick the gorilla against the wall imho

You can contact me @ Skyye06@gmail.com
08-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Love the graphical style, but I've seen gameplay similar to this in a lot of games.

And "handjoy", hmmmm, interesting username
08-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamazar View Post
Love the graphical style, but I've seen gameplay similar to this in a lot of games.

And "handjoy", hmmmm, interesting username
I think someone already took the "b"

You can contact me @ Skyye06@gmail.com
08-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyye06 View Post
I think someone already took the "b"
Bandjoy? I don't get it....

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
08-18-2009, 02:08 AM
The graphics are good but i dont get how you make the ape jump. Seems like you are slamming him against the wall haha
08-18-2009, 07:04 AM
Thx for positive response about the game and the graphics

About the gameplay and controls. Gameplay itself is top priority for us. We try to keep it as simple as possible, but it must be comfortable and enjoyable. If you simply tap the screen, gorrila will jump. Smashing/slaming gorilla againts the wall doesn't do a thing. But if you hit the wall during a jump it's gonna bounce you higher in your jump. So you can use walls as your advantage if you want.

What you see on the video is kind of "advanced technique" of controls. The video doesnt show really clearly what I am exactly doing on the screen. The thing is, that i quickly slide and even quicker after that I tap the screen. That gives gorilla enough speed to perform long jump and the tap itslef do the jump. We do not expect, that begginers will start doing long jumps and combos in their first game. They probably start with simple tapping, doing normal jumps, moving gorilla to the right place and so on. And thats perfectly fine. You can still make great score. But after few games you will realize, that there is more in the game, techniques that can help you achieve better score. So you need to discover them and master them. Fast slide and tap is on of them, hitting walls during a jump another. And there are others...

This is not game music. We added this song only into this video, because game music and sound effects were not finished in that time and the game was silent. We got them right now and I think they fit the game quite well.