Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-06-2014, 12:41 AM
Deewin Deewin is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 3GS
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 707
Default Which is better: iPad mini or iPad Air?

Which tablet do you find games more enjoyable on? I sold my 3rd gen ipad for the mini and haven't looked backed since because I like how the mini is so much lighter. But the Air is also ridiculously light! I have the Mini with retina right now and I'm loving Hearthstone on it. But I can't help but wonder how much nicer it would be on the Air with bigger screen and better color contrast...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-06-2014, 12:44 AM
coolpepper43 coolpepper43 is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deewin View Post
Which tablet do you find games more enjoyable on? I sold my 3rd gen ipad for the mini and haven't looked backed since because I like how the mini is so much lighter. But the Air is also ridiculously light! I have the Mini with retina right now and I'm loving Hearthstone on it. But I can't help but wonder how much nicer it would be on the Air with bigger screen and better color contrast...
I didn't know that the air has better color contrast. Are you sure?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-06-2014, 04:05 AM
cloudpuff cloudpuff is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 2,762
Default

It's personal preference really, I have the first gen mini which is going strong and my daughter has the ipad2. We are both saving for upgrades, I'll be sticking with the mini for it's size and portability and shell go for whatever full sized model is out at the time cos she likes the bigger screen.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-06-2014, 04:55 AM
zdn1042 zdn1042 is offline
Banned
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 643
Default

If you prefer portability, go with the iPad Mini.
If you prefer the bigger screen, Air it is.
That's my take. Me, I have always wanted a Mini since I can take it almost anywhere that I'd like.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-06-2014, 10:04 AM
Gov Gov is offline
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,264
Default

I want a widescreen ipad. Like the shape of an iPhone 5. 16:9 is better screen shape than the ipads square boxy screen look. Plus it creates ugly borders at the top and bottom of clips when watching movies and possibly games.

Last edited by Gov; 04-06-2014 at 10:07 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-06-2014, 09:52 PM
sampdx sampdx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpepper43 View Post
I didn't know that the air has better color contrast. Are you sure?
The gamut is not as good on the mini according to folks with both and tests done on both. Personally I did a quick side by side and didn't really notice a huge difference in colors. Of course they were both in demo mode though.

That being said if I were to buy another iPad it would probably be the mini because it seems like it would be easier to handle with games. Like with platformers especially. Devs now a days seem to add movable controls but some from the past are still fixed (I'm looking at you, Storm in a Teacup!) and they're awkward to play.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-06-2014, 10:03 PM
coolpepper43 coolpepper43 is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampdx View Post
The gamut is not as good on the mini according to folks with both and tests done on both. Personally I did a quick side by side and didn't really notice a huge difference in colors. Of course they were both in demo mode though.

That being said if I were to buy another iPad it would probably be the mini because it seems like it would be easier to handle with games. Like with platformers especially. Devs now a days seem to add movable controls but some from the past are still fixed (I'm looking at you, Storm in a Teacup!) and they're awkward to play.
I love my ipad mini with retina. I highly recommend it. I hope that the next version comes out soon because I need the 128gb version.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-06-2014, 10:23 PM
mr.Ugly's Avatar
mr.Ugly mr.Ugly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 1,627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post
I want a widescreen ipad. Like the shape of an iPhone 5. 16:9 is better screen shape than the ipads square boxy screen look. Plus it creates ugly borders at the top and bottom of clips when watching movies and possibly games.
Yeah thoose pesky borders when playing games. Annoying.

I personally actually like the colors better on the rmini compared to the air since more gamut does not always mean a more realistic color reproduction.

In alot of games on the air (as on previous ipads) the colors feel way too saturation feeling sometimes more neonish..

But the this is something you probably get used too if you dont switch devices constantly and see the differences all the time.

Of course retina on the mini is gorgeous
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-07-2014, 03:27 PM
MidianGTX MidianGTX is offline
Senior Member
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,765
Default

I would go with Air for superiority in strategy games. If those are your cup of tea, bigger is better. Also, typing.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-07-2014, 04:01 PM
Papa Deuce Papa Deuce is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post
I want a widescreen ipad. Like the shape of an iPhone 5. 16:9 is better screen shape than the ipads square boxy screen look. Plus it creates ugly borders at the top and bottom of clips when watching movies and possibly games.
Got news for you..... that can happen with any movie..... they don't all shoot in the exact same aspect ratio.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent