Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 04-06-2014, 12:41 AM
iPhone 3GS

Default Which is better: iPad mini or iPad Air?

Which tablet do you find games more enjoyable on? I sold my 3rd gen ipad for the mini and haven't looked backed since because I like how the mini is so much lighter. But the Air is also ridiculously light! I have the Mini with retina right now and I'm loving Hearthstone on it. But I can't help but wonder how much nicer it would be on the Air with bigger screen and better color contrast...
Old 04-06-2014, 12:44 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deewin View Post
Which tablet do you find games more enjoyable on? I sold my 3rd gen ipad for the mini and haven't looked backed since because I like how the mini is so much lighter. But the Air is also ridiculously light! I have the Mini with retina right now and I'm loving Hearthstone on it. But I can't help but wonder how much nicer it would be on the Air with bigger screen and better color contrast...
I didn't know that the air has better color contrast. Are you sure?
Old 04-06-2014, 04:05 AM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

It's personal preference really, I have the first gen mini which is going strong and my daughter has the ipad2. We are both saving for upgrades, I'll be sticking with the mini for it's size and portability and shell go for whatever full sized model is out at the time cos she likes the bigger screen.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:55 AM
Banned
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

If you prefer portability, go with the iPad Mini.
If you prefer the bigger screen, Air it is.
That's my take. Me, I have always wanted a Mini since I can take it almost anywhere that I'd like.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:04 AM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

I want a widescreen ipad. Like the shape of an iPhone 5. 16:9 is better screen shape than the ipads square boxy screen look. Plus it creates ugly borders at the top and bottom of clips when watching movies and possibly games.

Last edited by Gov; 04-06-2014 at 10:07 AM..
Old 04-06-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpepper43 View Post
I didn't know that the air has better color contrast. Are you sure?
The gamut is not as good on the mini according to folks with both and tests done on both. Personally I did a quick side by side and didn't really notice a huge difference in colors. Of course they were both in demo mode though.

That being said if I were to buy another iPad it would probably be the mini because it seems like it would be easier to handle with games. Like with platformers especially. Devs now a days seem to add movable controls but some from the past are still fixed (I'm looking at you, Storm in a Teacup!) and they're awkward to play.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:03 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampdx View Post
The gamut is not as good on the mini according to folks with both and tests done on both. Personally I did a quick side by side and didn't really notice a huge difference in colors. Of course they were both in demo mode though.

That being said if I were to buy another iPad it would probably be the mini because it seems like it would be easier to handle with games. Like with platformers especially. Devs now a days seem to add movable controls but some from the past are still fixed (I'm looking at you, Storm in a Teacup!) and they're awkward to play.
I love my ipad mini with retina. I highly recommend it. I hope that the next version comes out soon because I need the 128gb version.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post
I want a widescreen ipad. Like the shape of an iPhone 5. 16:9 is better screen shape than the ipads square boxy screen look. Plus it creates ugly borders at the top and bottom of clips when watching movies and possibly games.
Yeah thoose pesky borders when playing games. Annoying.

I personally actually like the colors better on the rmini compared to the air since more gamut does not always mean a more realistic color reproduction.

In alot of games on the air (as on previous ipads) the colors feel way too saturation feeling sometimes more neonish..

But the this is something you probably get used too if you dont switch devices constantly and see the differences all the time.

Of course retina on the mini is gorgeous
Old 04-07-2014, 03:27 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

I would go with Air for superiority in strategy games. If those are your cup of tea, bigger is better. Also, typing.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post
Got news for you..... that can happen with any movie..... they don't all shoot in the exact same aspect ratio.