Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 04-07-2014, 03:43 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default How often is it necessary to upgrade one's iDevice to play the most-advanced games?

Every other generation (iPad 3>iPad Air for example)? Every third generation?
Old 04-07-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
Every other generation (iPad 3>iPad Air for example)? Every third generation?
I usually do every 2 years. I don't have an iPad so I just go by my phone upgrades. But 2 years (for iPhone) seems to be the best number. iPads are very different, because the iPad 2 is just now becoming unsupported little by little
Old 04-07-2014, 04:09 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

I agree with jcho, best is every 2 years. And be on the even cycles.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:49 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Every year for me. I've upgraded from 4, 4s, 5, 5s... Next is 6. Already got a buyer waiting to get his hands on my ancient iPhone 5s.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post
Every year for me. I've upgraded from 4, 4s, 5, 5s... Next is 6. Already got a buyer waiting to get his hands on my ancient iPhone 5s.
I'll buy it for a buck.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:56 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post
I've done every 2 so far (3GS, 4s, and 5s) but I hate being on the odd cycle. I may bite the bullet and get an iPhone 6, especially if we have a bigger screen this year. I'll prob get the new iPad too so it will be an expensive fall for me.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
I agree with jcho, best is every 2 years. And be on the even cycles.
I'm on the S cycles. Not sure if that's better or worse. They both have their pros and cons

Ehhh yeah being on the nonS cycle is better, because you can always get the new models when they come
Old 04-07-2014, 06:47 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I had an iPad 2 and iPhone 4 up until Christmas, when I replaced them with an iPhone 5S and an iPad Air. I think there were a couple of games that wouldn't work on the iPhone 4 but everything worked on the iPad 2 but not always perfectly.

If possible, I hope to skip the next two upgrades for both the iPad and iPhone this time too (so I'll get the iPhone 7 if they still stick with the same naming convention and the equivalent iPad), I will have to see if they are still supporting the lastest games at that time.

And then of course after spending hundreds on upgrading, most of my time will be spent playing games like Kairosoft ones that would probably work on a 3GS. Oh well.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:49 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

I've upgraded every iPhone, but skipped a few iPads.

Based on what I've seen, you're safe going every 2 years in the world of iPhones. The 4S is still a powerful device. It's lifespan has perhaps been artificially extended by the use of A5 class chips in so many iPads. It's still a great phone. In fact, I'd probably rather own a 4S today than any Android phone available.

Now if we limit the discussion to just gaming, the fact is that the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5S already dramatically out-perform any iPad, due to the significantly smaller resolution screens. Because game makers tend to optimize for the weakest common device - the iPad - the iPhones basically get great performance for free. We won't see games that really obsolete existing iPhone hardware until 1 of 2 things happens: either the iPhone gets a significantly higher resolution screen, or the iPad goes back to getting higher performance parts. Either could happen...
Old 04-08-2014, 01:32 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

I'm still using an iPhone 4s and and iPad 3 and I've yet to find a game that doesn't perform well on either of them - though there are a few that run in a lower resolution on my iPad than they do on later models.

Every three years should be fine - though every two years is great if you can afford it.