My Android game: Veritas LCD. An Open World LCD Adventure

Discussion in 'Android Games' started by brainskis, Apr 8, 2014.

1. brainskis

brainskis Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Hi all,

I have recently completed development of an Android adventure game called Veritas: light Conquers Darkness. I am talking to some publishers at the moment and I hope Veritas will be in the wild in the coming days.

Please check out the trailer here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUb9kJE7eQ4

The homepage is here. More pics and information:
    www.veritaslcd.com

Some screenies:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This game will be made available at a very reasonable price and will feature NO in app purchases or advertising.

I'd love to hear your initial impressions and - if you are a games publisher - I'd love to talk to you about getting this game out there. Also - if you're a reviewer and would like to spread the word about this game, get in touch too.

Thanks so much for reading :)

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I think it looks okay. It did remind me of the old days.

I think you will struggle to get anyone to purchase on android without significant advertising (and i am not convinced you could make your investment back).

Feels like it should of had chiptune music.

3. brainskis

brainskis Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Thanks Destined - I hope you're wrong but I appreciate the feedback :)

I must say I was in two minds myself about what to do for the music, But I couldn't be happier with how it sounds now. I hope to change your mind :)

4. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    Android is just plain hard to generate sales, it is also hard to be visible in those stores. It is hard to generate downloads even if you are free. So making it cost adds a significant barrier.

It is as much about the android ecosystem as your app. All of my apps have generated more downloads and income on iOS over android by a factor of 10.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm a big fan of these game and watch style games. Agree it needs retro music totally

Would buy this if it was on iOS as I buy a lot of retro looking LCD games. Think it's a specialized market though and might not appeal to kids mostly older gamers

6. brainskis

brainskis Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Hi Destined. The game will be ported to IOS soon. But I believe in the Android gaming market - if you give people real games to play, they will buy them. It might be a bit early, and the market needs to grow, but I believe in this game and will keep relaunching it until it sticks :)

So long as us developers and gamers keep promoting the good stuff, I'm sure we'll get there.

7. brainskis

brainskis Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Thanks psj!

This isn't an LCD remake like the games you see in the app stores at the moment. It is a fully fledged adventure game that just so happens to use the LCD graphical style and constraints to interface with gamers.

It is not necessarily a niche market I'm aiming for. The monochrome LCD appearance is also a nod to how difficult it is for indie developers to match the production standards of recent consoles. Beyond it - I hope gamers will see a game that flourishes under the constraints imposed (i.e. the limited graphical capabilities) and still manages to provide a wonderful adventure.

And I believe that gamers are intelligent enough to see this and embrace the change. We are all just trying to inch the artform forward: none of us will blow it out of the water.

Thanks for your feedback :)

8. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    #8 Destined, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    The android market is huge already, just most of it is free downloads.

while a bit old http://blog.appannie.com/app-annie-index-market-q1-2013/ this shows that while downloads are similar revenue on iOS is way higher than android.

People have to know those games exist to buy them :) Anyway I will stop derailling the thread. But I think you get my point of view. I wish I knew how to better get downloads on android, but you need to base your choices on facts not beliefs.

9. brainskis

brainskis Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Destined - I agree with you. You are right. But Veritas will outlive the Android market. Good games always outlive their original platforms. And until that day - I do not want to cheapen the game with IAP and ads. I spent nearly 2 decades (literally) thinking about this game's setting; ambience; character. I do not want a single element in there that is not 100% geared towards bolstering atmosphere and improving playability. We alreday have enough on our hands to compete against the big developers, why shoot ourselves in the foot?

And another thing you're right on is that the Android and IOS markets are already huge, arguably even mature, but it sells real gamers short. And we have only ourselves to blame for that. When the mist clears, and the casual gamers have been bled dry, these are the games people will remeber.

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I know its not a remake, its like a 'new' old game and watch style game. I've got quite a few from the app store.

I do think you need old game n watch noises though (not that i've played this) rather than 'new' sounds. I still think this will appeal to mostly older games. Look forward to the iOS version

11. brainskis

brainskis Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Definitely noted. I will check back with you once the game is launched to see if you still desire this feature. Thanks!

12. brainskis

brainskis Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Veritas LCD: Available now on Android

Veritas: Light Conquers Darkness has just been released for Android via Google Play.

[​IMG]

This is an open world adventure game with a unique LCD graphical style. There are hours of exploration ahead of you as well as stunning sound and artwork. There are achievements to unlock, 40 orbs to collect across 4 lands, as well as a beautifully illustrated game story.

If you enjoyed SNES adventure RPGs growing up, or you have a penchant for LCD handhelds, I think you will enjoy this title. If you don't know what those things are, but you are looking for something more fulfilling than than most mobile offerings - you can do a lot worse than Veritas LCD.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.brainskis.VeritasLcd

Thanks for reading.

13. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    Thats a steep price for a mobile game. Do you have a free version so people can try?

I am curious if you sell any at that price.

14. brainskis

brainskis Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback Destined. The price has been revised. I hope you will check it out :)

15. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    I will when there is a free version but I tend to only buy mobile games I have tried. There have only been a couple of exceptions to that.

Actually only 1 on my iPad I think rymdkapsel is the only game I have bought without trying. I guess that is just my mentality.

16. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    will you be adding a free demo version. I am kind of curious if it is fun or not.

17. brainskis

brainskis Member

Apr 8, 2014
    A free demo is not planned at this stage. But the price is very low. Thanks.

18. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    no worries :)

Good luck, I will try and keep an eye out in case. I can't justify buying an android game when I only have android devices for testing and my actual playing devices are iDevices.