Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-09-2014, 06:17 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Default Power Grounds (by Diego Cathalifaud)

Last edited by PeteOzzy; 04-10-2014 at 10:45 AM..
Old 04-09-2014, 06:19 AM
Banned
iPhone 5

The first had potential but was really frustrating, I hope this is more accessible
Old 04-09-2014, 06:20 AM

Yes! Can't wait for this, 17 more hours!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:35 AM
Developer
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

[Edit: This post answered a couple of concerns about the game, but those posts have been deleted]

Hi everyone. I want to clarify a few things:

- I made Power Grounds immediately after Amber Halls.
- PG is very different from Amber. The art might be similar, but the mechanics are very different. Also, PG is a lot less frustrating than Amber. It is a lot easier to beat it once you understand all the spells. This is why I added some very challenging achievements and a second game mode.
- The game is very simple to implement, even more so having done Amber Halls right before. This is why I could finish it in just a few weeks.

Last edited by YellowHat; 04-09-2014 at 11:06 PM..
Old 04-09-2014, 08:38 AM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Okay, I guess it's best to get back on topic. I've only played the PC version, so I can't say anything about any improvements or additions to the IOS version

If you enjoyed Amber Halls or strategic roguelikes with depth, I think you'll enjoy Power Grounds. Normally you are defenseless. All you can do flee the various enemies within the levels. But by activating various tiles on each floor, you open up a wealth of abilities to use. This freeform system allows for a ton of different strategies and tactics.

Is it better to remain evasive, using movement abilies to keep space between you and your enemies? Or maybe activate a shield to allow you to muscle your way through a gauntlet? Perhaps you want to freeze enemies, then use teleport to reach a better position and then smash through them with a dash attack?

The tile system lets you customize your skills on the go. This doesn't make the game any less challenging or strategic. You will still die fast without planning ahead. In fact the gameplay makes planning even more critical since you can't attack. Asssessing the board, enemy positions, what abilities are available, which you want to use and in what order, if you can reach them without getting cornered...all this makes Power Grounds a fun challenging strategic roguelike.

Edit: well, at least you guys have the PC version in the meantime. You can download it here:
7DRL original
7DRL updated

Last edited by Bronxsta; 04-09-2014 at 08:47 AM..
Old 04-09-2014, 09:24 AM

Oh, **** sorry, I thought you made it before, I'm not sure why I thought that

Last edited by JCho133; 04-09-2014 at 10:25 AM..
Old 04-09-2014, 10:14 AM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Any idea when it will be on the Store? Maybe by the weekend or is next week more likely?
Old 04-09-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxsta View Post
Any idea when it will be on the Store? Maybe by the weekend or is next week more likely?
Is it not in NZ?
Old 04-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Developer
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxsta View Post
My expedited review request has just been accepted, so the game might still be released as early as tonight. But you never know.

I've my fingers crossed.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:16 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Game Impressions

I liked Power Grounds (the 7DRL version) much better than Amber Halls. I liked Amber Halls, but overall found it frustrating. The dev made a comment to me that Amber Halls was more like a true puzzler -- trying to figure out THE move to make, whereas Power Grounds is a lot more tactical.

You'll see comparisons to 868-Hack, and I think that's accurate, in a good, non-clone way. It's actually nothing like 868-Hack at the same time, but it exercises your brain in the same way, if that make sense.

One of the innovations in Power Grounds is that the abilities you acquire in each level can only be used when standing on certain tiles. For instance, you might have a freeze ability that freezes all the enemies to use it. After acquiring the freeze ability, several random tiles will transform into freeze ability tiles. To use the ability, you have to make your way to one of those tiles. My description sounds a little confusing probably but the result is really neat.

Each level has several abilities that you can acquire (and which abilities are present is random). Coming up with clever combinations of abilities is essential to doing well.

I haven't actually played Power Grounds THAT much because I was waiting for the more polished iOS version, but I can say that the 7DRL version is the real deal and worth checking out tonight. Must buy for me.

Last edited by slothwerks; 04-09-2014 at 01:42 PM..