★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Diceworks - A Steampunk puzzler

08-18-2009, 10:18 AM
#1
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 102
Diceworks - A Steampunk puzzler - Free web version available!

We are about to release our first game, a steampunk inspired puzzle game called 'Diceworks', on 28th of August!

It's a rather simple puzzle game, but at least it's not a Bejeweled clone The basic idea is to trace your finger on the board to find combinations of dice (pairs, straights and so on).

More information is available on the website (see the links in the signature).

Play the free web version here:
http://www.dicework.com/games/diceworks/play/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DW_screen01.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	6614   Click image for larger version

Name:	DW_screen03.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	6615   Click image for larger version

Name:	DW_screen02.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	6616  


Kyy Games

Trouserheart - Arcade Action Hack & Slasher
Rimelands: Hammer of Thor - 3D Turn-Based RPG
Cabals: The Card Game - Collectible Card Game

Last edited by dicework; 08-27-2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: More information
08-18-2009, 11:48 AM
#2
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Saratoga, CA, USA
Posts: 11,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicework View Post
We are about to release our first game, a steampunk inspired puzzle game called 'Diceworks', on 28th of August!

It's a rather simple puzzle game, but at least it's not a Bejeweled clone The basic idea is to trace your finger on the board to find combinations of dice (pairs, straights and so on).

More information is available on the website (see the links in the signature).

We'll also release a free browser version of the game!
I'm looking forward to it! Stylish and intriguing. I also appreciate how you guys aren't claiming to re-invent gaming as we know it, just a good solid, and in your opinion, addictive little puzzler.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews

08-20-2009, 01:37 AM
#3
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
I'm looking forward to it! Stylish and intriguing. I also appreciate how you guys aren't claiming to re-invent gaming as we know it, just a good solid, and in your opinion, addictive little puzzler.
If we'd claim that, wouldn't it imply that there's something wrong in gaming as it is? No, we're perfectly happy in creating games that we feel have a place in the current market.

And oh, the price will be $0.99 (something we forgot even from the official press release, it seems I still have a lot to learn about this PR stuff...)

Kyy Games

Trouserheart - Arcade Action Hack & Slasher
Rimelands: Hammer of Thor - 3D Turn-Based RPG
Cabals: The Card Game - Collectible Card Game
08-21-2009, 01:46 PM
#4
Great puzzler

Good: Excellent presentation (graphics, sound effects), fun gameplay

Bad: Can’t think of anything worth mentioning…

Bottom line: Fresh new look at a favorite old puzzler. Get it.

Diceworks is an exciting new look at the old Bubble Breaker/Same Game/etc type game with a few interesting twists. In those old games you select groups of like colors to make them disappear. The more you can pop at a time, the better your score. Diceworks is quite similar, only with numbered tiles instead of colored balls. Using numbers really opens the door for so many new and exciting possibilities.

Valid groups of numbers in this game extend not only to pairs/triples/etc, but also to straights, reverse straights, two pairs, and so forth. If you have a row that includes the numbers 2 2 6 6 6, you can select all five tiles at once and get a significantly higher score than if you selected the 2 2 and 6 6 6 separately. This not only allows you to get some crazy scores, but it speeds things up a bit, too.

The graphics in Diceworks are pretty excellent – as excellent as a tile-game’s graphics can be. There are some really cool animations of gears and things turning in the background and some steam blowing around here and there. The sound effects leave nothing to be desired either – playing this game makes me feel like I’m in some sort of giant machine, with things clicking and ticking, wheels turning, steam escaping. The presentation of this game is truly a treat.

At the time of this writing there is only one tiny, tiny complaint I have. After waiting a few seconds without selecting a group, the game goes ahead and points one out for you. Now, this can be really helpful when you’re in a jam and you need a group fast (in timed mode), but in the play-until-there-are-no-groups-left mode I find it completely unnecessary. Sometimes I want to focus and plan out what I’m going to do to get the next mega-huge combo, and I don’t need the two 5’s on the top row lighting up for me. This is really only a very minor inconvenience (if even that), and it’s nothing the addition of a “Help on/off” button couldn’t fix.

Really though, that’s my only issue with Diceworks. And if a tiny, tiny not-even-problem problem is all I can come up with, I think that really says a lot. This game is definitely worth buying if you like puzzle games, and if you’re fond of games like Bubble Breaker, etc, Diceworks is a must have.

One other cool thing I forgot to mention is that the developers promise an in-browser version to be released on their website in the near future. So with this title, you can try before you buy!

iPhoneAppRatings.org
08-21-2009, 01:55 PM
#5
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Saratoga, CA, USA
Posts: 11,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhoneAppRatings View Post
Good: Excellent presentation (graphics, sound effects), fun gameplay

Bad: Can’t think of anything worth mentioning…

Bottom line: Fresh new look at a favorite old puzzler. Get it.

Diceworks is an exciting new look at the old Bubble Breaker/Same Game/etc type game with a few interesting twists. In those old games you select groups of like colors to make them disappear. The more you can pop at a time, the better your score. Diceworks is quite similar, only with numbered tiles instead of colored balls. Using numbers really opens the door for so many new and exciting possibilities.

Valid groups of numbers in this game extend not only to pairs/triples/etc, but also to straights, reverse straights, two pairs, and so forth. If you have a row that includes the numbers 2 2 6 6 6, you can select all five tiles at once and get a significantly higher score than if you selected the 2 2 and 6 6 6 separately. This not only allows you to get some crazy scores, but it speeds things up a bit, too.

The graphics in Diceworks are pretty excellent – as excellent as a tile-game’s graphics can be. There are some really cool animations of gears and things turning in the background and some steam blowing around here and there. The sound effects leave nothing to be desired either – playing this game makes me feel like I’m in some sort of giant machine, with things clicking and ticking, wheels turning, steam escaping. The presentation of this game is truly a treat.

At the time of this writing there is only one tiny, tiny complaint I have. After waiting a few seconds without selecting a group, the game goes ahead and points one out for you. Now, this can be really helpful when you’re in a jam and you need a group fast (in timed mode), but in the play-until-there-are-no-groups-left mode I find it completely unnecessary. Sometimes I want to focus and plan out what I’m going to do to get the next mega-huge combo, and I don’t need the two 5’s on the top row lighting up for me. This is really only a very minor inconvenience (if even that), and it’s nothing the addition of a “Help on/off” button couldn’t fix.

Really though, that’s my only issue with Diceworks. And if a tiny, tiny not-even-problem problem is all I can come up with, I think that really says a lot. This game is definitely worth buying if you like puzzle games, and if you’re fond of games like Bubble Breaker, etc, Diceworks is a must have.

One other cool thing I forgot to mention is that the developers promise an in-browser version to be released on their website in the near future. So with this title, you can try before you buy!

iPhoneAppRatings.org
Wow, sounds very cool! Is this out yet?

What are the different gameplay modes (it looks like in screenshots they just have clever gem code names)?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews

Last edited by LordGek; 08-21-2009 at 01:57 PM.
08-22-2009, 03:39 PM
#6
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 102
It's out on 28th of August. The web version will be out earlier next week.

There are three game modes, the 'vanilla' (Ruby) mode where you play until you run out of possible moves, a timed mode called Absinthe where you get more time from longer combinations and the more called Orchid where there's a turn limit (basically you have to maximize the score from every move).

The 'clever gem code' names were meant to create a more steampunkish atmosphere. To be honest, I'd really like to know if people prefer those or more straight-forward names. Pressing and holding the game mode button also shows a tooltip that explains the game mode.

Kyy Games

Trouserheart - Arcade Action Hack & Slasher
Rimelands: Hammer of Thor - 3D Turn-Based RPG
Cabals: The Card Game - Collectible Card Game
08-22-2009, 03:47 PM
#7
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicework View Post
It's out on 28th of August. The web version will be out earlier next week.

There are three game modes, the 'vanilla' (Ruby) mode where you play until you run out of possible moves, a timed mode called Absinthe where you get more time from longer combinations and the more called Orchid where there's a turn limit (basically you have to maximize the score from every move).

The 'clever gem code' names were meant to create a more steampunkish atmosphere. To be honest, I'd really like to know if people prefer those or more straight-forward names. Pressing and holding the game mode button also shows a tooltip that explains the game mode.
I like the name idea - but need the tooltip. I am sure that the casual gamer will complain...

Looks great and I am looking forward to this.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
08-22-2009, 03:52 PM
#8
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Saratoga, CA, USA
Posts: 11,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto6 View Post
I like the name idea - but need the tooltip. I am sure that the casual gamer will complain...

Looks great and I am looking forward to this.
+1 to this!

It's stylish nonsense but as long as the tooltip explains it, all is good.

In the final mode described, can one earn extra moves?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
08-23-2009, 06:14 AM
#9
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
In the final mode described, can one earn extra moves?
Currently, no. We thought about that too, but felt that it went against the nature of the game mode.

Kyy Games

Trouserheart - Arcade Action Hack & Slasher
Rimelands: Hammer of Thor - 3D Turn-Based RPG
Cabals: The Card Game - Collectible Card Game
08-23-2009, 08:52 AM
#10
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Saratoga, CA, USA
Posts: 11,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicework View Post
Currently, no. We thought about that too, but felt that it went against the nature of the game mode.
Okay, cool enough.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews