Not enough free space in iTunes library to sync

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Matt33, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    #1 Matt33, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    Edit- Restoring from backup seems to have fixed the issue.

I just downloaded Wind-Up Knight 2 and Breakfinity in iTunes, went to sync them to my ipod touch and got the message:

The iPod cannot be synced because there is not enough free space to hold all of the items in the iTunes library (additional 244.1 MB required).

I've got a 32 GB device with 4.50 GB free space on it. I've got the same amount of apps on my iPod and in my iTunes library. Surely this must be an error? Otherwise, what's the point in having a 64 GB device if your iTunes library can't even hold 32 GB's worth? Please advise.

2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #2 Vovin, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014

Looks like the "others" bug.
    There are quite some solutions (most a bit complicated), so the easiest would be to download Battery Doctor (by KS Mobile) and clean all junk.
    Yeah, and setting the device up completely new also works in most cases.
    But setting up new compared to Battery Doctor makes a huge difference.
    Battery Doctor needs around 30 seconds to do the job.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Isnt this a case of not enough free space on your PC ? Nothing to do with the iOS device itself ?

iTunes backs up all the apps to a directory on your PC, it can get HUGE with all the apps (mines about 150 gig !)

So when it tries to sync or use an older backup it may come up with error messages if theres not enough space to back up apps etc. Its happened to me a few times

4. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Yeah I discovered this the other day, I dunno what I thought happened when you sync but I was go smacked when I had no storage room left on my computer, also the older versions get dumped in the recycle bin when updated apps are synced. It's worrying seeing how much I've I dloaded in the short time I've been an iOS user.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Ha ha i did the same when i thought 'Huh ?' when my computer said there was no space to save a small file. Then i realised !

I now copy most of the large iOS files into a cloud folder, i keep it in case theres a problem in the future and i need to install that game again. I've set it up so it copies all my iOS games into Dropbox but even then that folder gets hugeeee