Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 04-09-2014, 11:26 PM

Default Does story matter in a fighting game?

I have been working on a fighting game for almost a year now. And I've grown playing tekken and Mortal Kombat and somehow I feel MK has the best storyline for a fighting game. I might be wrong what do you guys think for a real sick storyline for a fighting game.

We're planning to get this one on Mobile soon. But still contemplating on having a Muay Thai theme or should it just have a generic fighting theme ?

I think many of the fighting fans are slowly getting familiar with the Muay Thai fighting style but still I'm sitting on the fence on this one.

Here are some screenshots. Cheers!

Here's a short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub3Yiw7ERlU

Last edited by Rusty Cohle; 04-09-2014 at 11:28 PM..
Old 04-09-2014, 11:42 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

I'm a fighter fanatic. I don't think a story really matters, at least to me it doesn't. Unless we are talking about the classics like Street Fighter and MK. They were a series of games. Unless you plan on making it a series I don't think it matters. Those games were all about the mythology of the continuous series. To me a fighter especially on ios needs to focus on the core fighting mechanics, cool special moves, and well balanced gameplay with great controls.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:53 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

I like a good story mode. It makes the charecters feel more real and esthablishes their reasons for fighting.
Even just a blurb here and there, its the effort that counts.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:07 AM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

What really matters in a fighting game for mobile in particular is simplicity. Using swipe gestures got moves will work great. If you get the controls right, story comes second. They story can be cheesy, no big deal IMO
Old 04-10-2014, 02:40 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

At the end of the day how many people here know the 'story' to Mortal Kombat or Tekken etc ?

I dont remember at all, just remember having a great time fighting against the computer or friends. As others have said as its a fighting game i wouldnt go too OTT about the story. Its all about the controls
Old 04-10-2014, 04:11 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

I'm with coolpepper on this. If you're planning on making a series of games, you might want to think of adding even the slightest bit of a storyline which you could flesh out as time goes on. If not, meh...don't bother.

As for psj's post about people knowing the story of Mortal Kombat, for example? Well, Mortal Kombat specifically is a totally different beast since you have to take into consideration the movies, TV series and even Shaolin Monks and Mortal Kombat (9)...the latter especially, which proved that yes, story does matter. While the same could be said for Street Fighter, the games haven't really taken a cinematic turn yet.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:37 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

When i played Mortal Kombat back in the 90's (or now) i didnt know anything about the story, just started it up, two player game from the menu and fight fight fight.

Granted there was a film afterwards but when the game first came out before anything else no one cared about a storyline or that

Look at Double Dragon, a very short intro where you see an animation of your girlfriend getting punched (!) and then taken away, that was it
Old 04-10-2014, 04:43 AM

Character background, history and personality is probably more important than story. Nothing too verbose, just something that fleshes out the uniqueness of each character.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:09 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

I always like the fact that each character has a different ending makes it worth playing each of them at least once while it isn't the meat of a combat game to me it's a pretty important part for singleplayer.

Another thing the Street Fighter franchise does well is changing the ending depending on how well you do just as an example watching SF2 in the Arcades people can tell you won without losing a round by the type of ending credits and music you get.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:39 PM

Thanks guys! Actually I do agree with most of you'll. Being a big Mortal Kombat fan I don't think I've come across a story for a fighting game which is as good as that. Though Tekken and Street Fighter are legendary, more character centric and visually appealing probably which is why story becomes secondary.

I'm planning on having 10 characters at least for the 1st alpha version (that is whenever we are able to get this game out! ) Also for now what I'm using is motion capture, it's gonna be a challenge to get all other 8 characters who'll have distinct fighting style.

Any suggestions for some bad ass characters, let me know! Would love to work on some prototypes.

Last edited by Rusty Cohle; 04-21-2014 at 11:49 PM..