Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Upcoming iPhone and iPad Games

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 01:38 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Default [Looking for testers] Tales of the Adventure Company - Puzzle/RPG/Roguelite

Hi!

For the 7DRL (building a roguelike in 7 days) competition recently, I submitted Tales of the Adventuring Company. It's a complete redo of another game I released, Adventuring Company, which I released previously on web/Android. Since the competition a month a go, I've been working on an updated version. I finally uploaded that version to Game Jolt and you can try it out in your browser:

Play it now (Browser, Unity)
http://gamejolt.com/games/rpg/tales-...company/23973/

It's still in development, so you might see bugs, balance issues, etc... but I'd love to start getting feedback from you guys. Once I'm totally satisfied with this first episode, I intend to add additional episodes with more heroes/monsters/etc...

I frequently update twitter with the latest development news/new builds, so feel free to follow me there if you're interested https://twitter.com/slothwerks

If you have a few minutes, give it a try and let me know what you think!

Trailer

Youtube link | Pop Up

Screenshots

Last edited by slothwerks; 05-09-2014 at 03:21 PM..
Old 04-12-2014, 11:31 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Spent this morning beginning work on a couple of the upcoming episodes. Not sure yet how many episodes will be in the eventual release, but I'm aiming for somewhere between 5 and 10. The new episodes aren't up on the Game Jolt version yet, but will be in the coming days/weeks so you can guys can give it a try!

Old 04-12-2014, 12:24 PM

Holy cow this looks frickin amazing
Old 04-17-2014, 10:41 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

@JCho Thanks for the encouragement!

Things are coming along quite nicely, and I hope to have an updated version to the web version of the game by this weekend/next week. It will add two new themed episodes to the existing 'Undead' episode; the themes are 'Egyptian' and 'Slime/Ooze' respectively. Once I get that out, I'll be hard at work on the platform specific stuff -- Game Center leaderboards, achievements, things like that. I hope to round it out with a couple more episodes for the final release.

Starting playing with some cool particle effects to give unique visual flair to each episode/level. Rain in the undead episode, dust/sand storm in the Egyptian episode, and bubbling ooze in the Slime/Ooze episode. It's just a visual thing, but it helps to further differentiate the look & feel of each area.

Lastly, another screenshot preview!

Old 04-17-2014, 12:03 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

I really dig that art style, particularly the character designs! How did you come up with it?
Old 04-17-2014, 12:52 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesu View Post
I really dig that art style, particularly the character designs! How did you come up with it?
Thanks, glad you like it! I'm more of a developer than an artist, so I'm glad I can create art that people enjoy

The design kind of evolved over time. I'll include a screenshot below of a few different designs I tried before settling on this one. It's hard to pinpoint an exact inspiration; I follow a lot of pixel artists on Twitter, and I try to adapt styles that I like (and more importantly, am capable of). In this case, I needed something that I was stylistically happy with, but also something that I could realistically produce a large quantity of. I'd say that in general, the style draws a lot from the 'minimalist' design popular in a lot of indie games. @cgbarrett (better known as Oryx) is a big inspiration.

I try and hide the fact that I'm only a so-so artist behind motion tweens and particle effects

Old 04-17-2014, 01:19 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Ah, cool! Well, it's very unique, and adds a lot of charm.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:21 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Can't wait for the update, and the release. Was happy to find out the plan's for this to just be a few dollarsówithout IAPs or ads. I wanted to reply on Game Jolt but it seems I couldn't reply to dev comments? Iunno, new to that site; probably just missing something.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:51 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemindead View Post
Can't wait for the update, and the release. Was happy to find out the plan's for this to just be a few dollars—without IAPs or ads. I wanted to reply on Game Jolt but it seems I couldn't reply to dev comments? Iunno, new to that site; probably just missing something.
Weird that you couldn't reply on Game Jolt. I'm sort of a Game Jolt newbie myself, so not sure what's up with that. In any case, thanks for taking time to seek out the thread over here. I really appreciate the comments you PM'd as well! I plan to comment on them with a more detailed response later this evening when I have time. To answer one of your questions, yeah -- only the first episode is available right now. I plan to put up 2 and 3 hopefully this weekend and if not, by next week.

And yeah -- while not all f2p games are bad, I'm tired of poorly implemented f2p mechanics that ruin what could otherwise be awesome games. I strongly prefer reasonably priced games that are optimized for fun instead of monetization. People tell me the model is dead, but I refuse to believe it :P

Last edited by slothwerks; 04-18-2014 at 03:54 PM..
Old 04-18-2014, 05:59 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Wow this looks right up my alley.

Closed Thread