Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 04-10-2014, 12:40 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Would the App Store be better if IAP weren't allowed? How much better?

It would do away with freemium games and for that alone, I think it would vastly improve the state of the App Store.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:56 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

That'll never happen. Basically freemium games make a lot of money, plus now many indie teams are releasing freemium games as they cant survive due to possible low sales, imagine working on a game with a team of 4 people with no money coming in for 9 months or a year, then the game goes on sale and you read lots of 'gonna wait for a price drop...' type comments.

Looking at your post history you're quick to go for price drops or free games. This doesnt help devs. If everyone does that they wont make any money

I'm no huge fan of freemium but it 'can' be done right. Plus devs have to survive, if game x sells for $1.99 and only makes say $10k, but game y is freemium and is racking in a lot of money week in week out its obvious what you would do.

I still believe in supporting premium priced games, i dont wait for price drops and rarely use promo codes. Want the dev to get as much money as possible so they wont think of going freemium
Old 04-10-2014, 01:21 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
That'll never happen. Basically freemium games make a lot of money, plus now many indie teams are releasing freemium games as they cant survive due to possible low sales, imagine working on a game with a team of 4 people with no money coming in for 9 months or a year, then the game goes on sale and you read lots of 'gonna wait for a price drop...' type comments.

Looking at your post history you're quick to go for price drops or free games. This doesnt help devs. If everyone does that they wont make any money

I'm no huge fan of freemium but it 'can' be done right. Plus devs have to survive, if game x sells for $1.99 and only makes say $10k, but game y is freemium and is racking in a lot of money week in week out its obvious what you would do.

I still believe in supporting premium priced games, i dont wait for price drops and rarely use promo codes. Want the dev to get as much money as possible so they wont think of going freemium
Yes, just look at the top grossing games on the App Store chart. They are almost all free apps.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:38 PM

So... Let's say that oh idk, warhammer quest has to be sold with no IAPs. That's a $40 game. Period. You have to pay for all of that. Who the heck would do that? NO ONE. Plus, who wants all the expansions? I tried it, I didn't like it. I don't wanna pay $40 for a game that I don't like. So this is extremely stupid, though I do understand where your coming from. There are other solutions.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:04 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by spader623 View Post
So... Let's say that oh idk, warhammer quest has to be sold with no IAPs. That's a $40 game. Period. You have to pay for all of that. Who the heck would do that? NO ONE. Plus, who wants all the expansions? I tried it, I didn't like it. I don't wanna pay $40 for a game that I don't like. So this is extremely stupid, though I do understand where your coming from. There are other solutions.
I disagree with this example. Expansions shouldn't be included in the freemium discussion because games on all platforms release DLC expansion content. You don't have to buy expansions to experience a full game.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:10 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

The discussion is all IAPs, not just freemium. So his example is valid.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saansilt View Post
The discussion is all IAPs, not just freemium. So his example is valid.
Exactly. The OP said ALL IAP's. Now if we're talking about freemium stuff, I think it should be worded like 'banning all currency IAP's'
Old 04-13-2014, 01:35 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

It's a worthless discussion.

This crap exists because people buy it, it will continue to exist because people will continue to buy it... and banning it is an outright unnacceptable solution.

*also, freemium games cannot be done right and it's not my responsibility to support developer survival; either make a product worth paying for or change vocations.

Last edited by Topherunhinged; 04-13-2014 at 01:40 AM..
Old 04-13-2014, 02:11 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Dungeon Quest is a brilliant example of a freemium game done right. I've bought a few IAPs so the devs get some money as I'm getting so much fun from this game which doesn't force me to buy anything or had paywalls etc

It's superb
Old 04-13-2014, 03:12 PM

If anyone feels inclined to know how little their opinion on IAP matters, just go take a look at the top 100 grossing apps.
If you don't like freemium stuff, don't download it.
If you don't mind, as long as it's not in your face, take advice from members like PSJ who can maybe guide you to some more decent games with a free entry price.

I personally disagree with PSJ about "freemium done right".
I feel that it is almost always set up to seperate rubes from their money. And more of it than the game deserves in most cases as well.
Or it's set up to be "fair" to a user and the developer/publisher doesn't really profit from the game. Most of us have seen situations where these are the facts. I can't think of a game where I've felt the game wasn't set up to rob people and the developers actually did well off of it.
I could easily be wrong though.