★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Metal Angel Updated!

09-06-2008, 12:29 AM
Metal Angel Updated!

Holy crap, it actually happened.

The game now runs pretty smoothly, has sound effects, and you can choose from three different ships to use!

The developer also implemented a new tilt control method thats laughably impossible to use! Controlling your ship is like trying to strategically move a bead of butter around a hot frying pan.

I think i'm officially obsessed with how bad this game is, and yet i really really want it to be good. It's kind of great in the same way a cheesy old B-movie is. The sound effects seem to be ripped right out of an 1980's anime, and a female japanese voice now yells things at you during play, seemingly at random.
09-06-2008, 06:09 AM
I'm in the exact same boat, I still believe the possibility is there for it to be a great game, but either the developer just can't do it himself, or just lazy with the game (he does have a lot of other games.) Not sure what he was thinking with the uber-sensitive tilt controls. It's an improvement, and I honestly didn't even expect an update.

Unfortunately, the game still needs better controls and shooting mechanics to be fun.

Matt
09-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Some devs are just blind and force what they want on an app even if it's ultimately flawed. I bet if you confront him on that he'll be super defensive instead of recognizing his mistakes.
09-08-2008, 02:30 PM
I'd try this, but I already got my fill of laughably bad gaming with Dreigit. Actually there was an update recently that I haven't tried yet, but the last update only made the game worse. For one, they added a feature that let you move the virtual buttons wherever you want. Unfortunately it's hard to use (trying to align the buttons is virtually impossible) and there is no way to go back to the original positions other than trying to move them there, which isn't easy. I moved my controls and now they're in some crazy setup and I just don't care enough to try to get them back to their original badness or find anything better. It's too painful, though perhaps slightly more fun then the game itself.

I must admit that there is some value in its badness. I am interested to see what the developer made even worse this time. What's more amazing is that some people actually like it.
09-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReformatPlanet View Post

I think i'm officially obsessed with how bad this game is, and yet i really really want it to be good. It's kind of great in the same way a cheesy old B-movie is. The sound effects seem to be ripped right out of an 1980's anime, and a female japanese voice now yells things at you during play, seemingly at random.
hahaha classic

sounds like it's got the appeal of a Don "the Dragon" Wilson movie