Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-15-2014, 10:05 AM

Default Tidal Drive - Run and drive from a tidal wave!

Hi everyone at Touch Arcade.

I'm proud to announce that my new game Tidal Drive has now released worldwide for iPhone and iPad!

It's a free-to-play title, and offers up a unique combination of running and driving - to escape a tidal wave. It takes the gameplay of 2D physics driving games, but also lets you swipe up to jump out of vehicles and run!

Youtube link | Pop Up

Enjoy!

Gary

Last edited by Pebble Pinky Studios Ltd; 04-16-2014 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: Updated to use appinfo tag
Old 04-16-2014, 06:05 AM

It should now be out in all territories! Here's the app store link:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tidal-drive/id626286356

Would be great to get some feedback on what people think of it! It's free-to-play with are very relaxed approach to IAP - no timers/paywalls.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Thanks for looking!

Gary
Old 04-16-2014, 06:27 AM

Can't wait to try this, looks and sounds great
Old 04-16-2014, 06:30 AM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

Looks great, I will definately check this out! But why free to play? Why not charge 99 cents or 1.99 and be done with it?
Old 04-16-2014, 07:01 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

looks fun...gonna try this.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraser74 View Post
Looks great, I will definately check this out! But why free to play? Why not charge 99 cents or 1.99 and be done with it?
Thanks!

I think a premium price point could be justified, and I've definitely had moment of temptation. Not sure I'd have the marketing muscle to get that initial exposure though.

Free-to-play is actually what initially drew me to the platform. I think it could be a great thing for games. There's always going to be competition between developers to make games better. With paid-up-front apps, that competition takes place between making the game look appealing and marketing it well. With free-to-play apps, it moves into making the game consistently play well. If people are always free to walk away from your game and start a different one for free, then you've got to make better games that have longer lasting fun!

Obviously looking at some examples though, it doesn't quite work like that yet. Almost the opposite! I think that will change though, once we start getting some really good free-to-play games. #tidaldrive

Short answer, I like the idea of free-to-play and don't have a marketing budget.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:49 AM

Anyone played it yet?
Old 04-16-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebble Pinky Studios Ltd View Post
Anyone played it yet?
Yea. I just played for only about 20mins and wanted to come on here and say, OMG THIS GAME IS FRANTIC! Haha, in a GOOD way though. I've played the first level about 5 times now and haven't escaped yet. I've come pretty close though. You have to pretty much strategize on the fly. "Would it be better if I just ran instead of jumping in that dozer because the dozer is hard to handle? Should I jump in the bus? But the bus can't make it up hills very easily. I need to find a vehicle so I can pick up people because my fatigue is low. Oh no, I keep missing people, I need to jump out because I have to touch 3 billboards. But I don't see any! Where are they all??!!" Lol, all this while a huge wave is right behind you. You can hear it coming in the background. The game is crazy.

Even though I haven't passed the first stage yet, I'm absolutely loving it. It's really fun. Plus, there are plenty of upgrades and rewards that keep you wanting to play. I highly reccomend this one. Even if you don't think it's your cup of tea, try it out. I was just expecting another side scrolling endless runner when I downloaded it. Very good game PPS.

Oh. I had a question. How do you buy extra energy drinks? I know you get one free when you start, but can you buy more or do I have to progress to earn that ability?

NOEN
Old 04-16-2014, 12:48 PM

Wow, great to hear you're enjoying it! That's like the most perfect reaction I could've hoped for. Thanks for making my day

By the way, you can tap the billboards while you're driving - you don't need to jump out first. I might have to mention that tip somewhere in the game!

As for the energy drinks... it used to be that you could buy more with points or money. That was definitely going to be the main revenue stream! In the end, I decided to change it so you only ever get one. Having more than one energy drink starts to make the game a bit too easy and loses a lot of the intensity. Especially since you can use it after the wave has caught you!

There are the other items to unlock and buy though, which are similar. The mini-fridge item is basically the same as a super energy drink - except you use it while you're driving. The endurance bar item you use while running to get back your energy. Unlike the energy drink though, you can't use it while you're in the wave and it doesn't get rid of your fatigue. These quirks make deciding when to use these items much more interesting than the energy drink!

You can buy as many of these other items as you like. But in order to keep the game always fun, it limits how many you can use in a single play: 2 mini-fridges and 5 endurance bars. So they can make the game a bit easier, but without making it any less intense!

Really glad you're enjoying the game!

Gary
Old 04-16-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebble Pinky Studios Ltd View Post
Wow, great to hear you're enjoying it! That's like the most perfect reaction I could've hoped for. Thanks for making my day

By the way, you can tap the billboards while you're driving - you don't need to jump out first. I might have to mention that tip somewhere in the game!

As for the energy drinks... it used to be that you could buy more with points or money. That was definitely going to be the main revenue stream! In the end, I decided to change it so you only ever get one. Having more than one energy drink starts to make the game a bit too easy and loses a lot of the intensity. Especially since you can use it after the wave has caught you!

There are the other items to unlock and buy though, which are similar. The mini-fridge item is basically the same as a super energy drink - except you use it while you're driving. The endurance bar item you use while running to get back your energy. Unlike the energy drink though, you can't use it while you're in the wave and it doesn't get rid of your fatigue. These quirks make deciding when to use these items much more interesting than the energy drink!

You can buy as many of these other items as you like. But in order to keep the game always fun, it limits how many you can use in a single play: 2 mini-fridges and 5 endurance bars. So they can make the game a bit easier, but without making it any less intense!

Really glad you're enjoying the game!

Gary
Hey, thanks for making the game. Hopefully it catches on here and starts getting some attention. It deserves it.

Fun as hell!

NOEN