★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Romu (Price drop to $1.99)

08-19-2009, 07:41 AM
Romu (Price drop to $1.99)

I've seen this mentioned in a couple of threads but no real info and I have not found any reviews.

The Lite plays nice but it's one fairly small level so if there are different modes which add to the gameplay they are not apparent.

Anyone played it?
What genre is it (Match 2?)? Be nice to find the competition to it.
08-19-2009, 07:45 AM
So I post and then find the answer:

Shisen-Sho Mahjong Solitaire

Anyone played?

08-19-2009, 08:56 AM
I've never even heard of this type of game (four rivers) until I saw this thread and clicked the iShisen link, but now that I know about it, it looks pretty fun.

iShisen itself looks basic, but still fun.

As for Romu, I love the look of the graphics, and I like the fact that there are some twists to the game, like beating the clock etc.

I'm gonna try Romu Lite, and i'll get the full version if I like it, and i'll post some impressions here.

Either way, thanks for bringing this to my attention. These types of games are right up my alley.

Two guys walked into a bar. You think they would've seen it or something.
08-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Hmm, interested.

Is it anything like Kyodai?

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
08-19-2009, 12:24 PM
never heard of it before, but really nice artwork
08-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Lite version...

Currently Playing - Space Miner / Wooden Labyrinth 3D / Star Hogs / Isotope / Pool Rebel
Front Page Tug Boat "Radar"
Beta Testing - iPhone 3G S⃣
08-19-2009, 12:31 PM
thank you
08-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by djflippy View Post
Is it anything like Kyodai?
Exactly but with powerup tools and wacky twists in later levels (respawning pieces, gravity, pieces moving on their own, etc.)

Chains aren't directly rewarded, it's just a matter of how many pairs you link added to the time left at the end of level (pairs and end of level time bonuses are both worth more in later levels). Each level awards you a few tools to use at your discretion and unused tools will be added to tools granted at the next level (up to a certain max). The timer is pretty tight (at least if anything like the lite game) with me never having enough time to even finish the second level (especially since the second level adds in the respawning pieces).

I'm tempted but, although the game lists global scoring, I have no idea if it tracks local device scores (and preferably allow you to store them offline as I sometimes play with my ipod touch outside of wi-fi range).

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
08-19-2009, 01:31 PM

I've said before how important I think a website is - and there isn't one there.
No video.
No explanations
No high score info

I really like the look and I'll probably get it but they are doing themselves no favours in promotion.