Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Upcoming iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-18-2014, 03:08 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Default Jungle Rumble - Rhythm Game! Whaaaa?!

Hi Touch Arcade,

Iím making a rhythm game for mobile. You drum to control a tribe of monkeys. A rival tribe invades to steal your bananas. You send your tribe into the fray by drumming on the screen with a rhythmic grammar. Itís a Rhythm-RTS.

The game grew out of my love for rhythm games (especially mobile rhythm games since nerdy old me imported things like Rhythm Heaven). The cantankerous designer in me wants the player to make meaningful choices, to have branching, to have tradeoffs between fast-but-weak and slow-but-strong. Often, rhythm games have the player follow a script.

The game has a dynamic soundtrack that swells in response to the playerís actions. It is all CD quality, 44.1khz stereo sound. On good headphones it is delicious.

It is sort of Patapon meets Advance Wars.

Here is a trailer:

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Here are some screenies:

I would love your thoughts. Itís iOS and Android. If anybody would like to beta test a build, respond with what device you have and an anecdote about your favorite rhythm game.

-Trevor
http://facebook.com/discopixelgames
http://discopixel.com
Old 04-18-2014, 03:17 PM

Jungle Rumble is AMAZING. Had some time to play at PAX East and it was an absolute blast. The artwork is gorgeous!

What is your favorite monkey and why?
Old 04-18-2014, 03:22 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashobin1 View Post
Jungle Rumble is AMAZING. Had some time to play at PAX East and it was an absolute blast. The artwork is gorgeous!

What is your favorite monkey and why?
Hi Ashobin1, thanks. Did we talk at PAX?

My favorite monkey? Those guys in Japan who hang out in hot springs and eat fruit. That's the life!
Old 04-18-2014, 04:39 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsivak View Post
I also had a chance to play this at PAX East. Totally requires headphones but it is worth it. How long is the entire game going to be? What is the plan for new content after release?
Hi Sjsivak,

It's a rhythm game. So it's definitely best with headphones. It has super high-def audio. So it's definitely best with awesome headphones.

A first playthrough should be ~4 hours to just get through, depending on how good your rhythm is. However it would take much longer to get all gold medals.

Plans post launch? We've got some more "explanatory" levels in the works. The strategy gets quite deep and we have special levels that walk you through it. Also, we've got levels coming that get super deep into the strategy... experts only!

After that, a level editor is on the horizon. Being a weird mix of rhythm and RTS, this is a lot of fun to play with.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:13 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I've been waiting for this game since long time ago :') first time, I saw the game on IGF page and definitely this game looks neat. It said if the game will be released on April. Too bad my exam will coming soon so I can't participate on beta. Looking forward to the release
Old 04-19-2014, 09:25 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by copaeci View Post
I've been waiting for this game since long time ago :') first time, I saw the game on IGF page and definitely this game looks neat. It said if the game will be released on April. Too bad my exam will coming soon so I can't participate on beta. Looking forward to the release
Hi Copaeci,

Thanks! We are trying to finish it up and get it out there as soon as we can. Lots of late nights in front of glowing screens.

I read your opinion piece. Looking at the love the Gameboy/GBA/DS has gotten over the past twenty odd years, I think the current disdain for mobile games is very much caused by MBA types rushing to push shovelware into app stores.

Quality will rise to the top. At least, let's hope it does!

When are your exams? Hopefully you will get a chance to check out JR after you finish studying. School first, after all.

-Trevor
Old 04-19-2014, 10:31 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellos View Post
Hi Copaeci,

Thanks! We are trying to finish it up and get it out there as soon as we can. Lots of late nights in front of glowing screens.

I read your opinion piece. Looking at the love the Gameboy/GBA/DS has gotten over the past twenty odd years, I think the current disdain for mobile games is very much caused by MBA types rushing to push shovelware into app stores.

Quality will rise to the top. At least, let's hope it does!

When are your exams? Hopefully you will get a chance to check out JR after you finish studying. School first, after all.

-Trevor
My exams will be end on May 5, but I'll have two spare days on April 29-30
Old 04-21-2014, 12:20 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

A Rhythm Rts. That sounds awesome! Pun intended. Can you please post some pure gameplay without any extra music. I really want to see how the rhythm element works. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2014, 01:17 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

It's a shame I'm so busy with school to beta, but it does seem very interesting. I'm definitely stoked to try it out during release.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:24 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

I would love to beta test this when you "can come back". I have a ipad mini retina.