Universal Levitar - Vector

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Lesbird, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Lesbird

Lesbird Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Boston Massachusetts
    #1 Lesbird, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    Remember Gravitar? Thrust? Lunar Lander?

Levitar - Vector puts you in control of your own powerful spaceship. Fight gravity, defeat the enemies and save the spheroid.

Vector graphics, lots of ship upgrades, a variety of enemies and unlimited levels!

Full support for MFI controllers and iCade!

Coming in early May to the App Store.

Runs on all devices with iOS 5.1+ including iPad 1 and iPhone 3Gs.

2. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    That looks great!

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Looks great but shame it's iPad only

4. Lesbird

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Boston Massachusetts
    Actually it's a universal app. I said it runs on iPad 1 and later but that's not very clear. I meant it runs on all devices from as far back as iPad 1. It will support iPods and older generation iPhones, like the 3Gs, too.

- Les

5. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Super pumped for this one! I was a big gravitar and Oids fanatic. Does it use old-school controls (left/right/thrust/fire/shield)?

6. Lesbird

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Boston Massachusetts
    Hi Ubi, I adapted the controls as best as I could to the iDevices. It uses a custom filtered accelerometer algorithm for rotating the ship and left-side touch to thrust and right-side touch to fire. Personally I'm not a big fan of virtual buttons for games because (1) they take up too much screen space and (2) you can never tell by feel if you're touching the button or not. With that said, I do have virtual buttons for bombs and smart bombs although I thought long and hard how I could do them without buttons, but no good solution came to me.

If you have an iCade or MFI controller, then the weapons are separated out to the different buttons, including shoulder buttons, and there are separate buttons for thrust, fire, left and right.

Shields, however, will always be active as long as they exist. By default each shield protects you from 5 direct hits but by using in-game credits that you earn while playing the game (or via an IAP purchase) you can add as many shield hits as you want. Also you can upgrade the shields to add anti-gravity (pushes projectiles away from you) and/or deflector (bounces projectiles back to where they came from).

- Les

7. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Thanks for iCade support

I haven't seen many (any?) games use buttons rather than stick for steering, but this is the kind of game where the stick would just feel wrong for that. Glad you went with left/right buttons.

(Makes me want to dig out the Amiga and play some TurboRaketti II.)

8. Lesbird

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Boston Massachusetts
    Adam, my apologies for clearly mis-wording that. The left/right controls are still using the stick (for compatibility with other controllers) but thrust and fire are on separate buttons.

Also, I think your post in the iCade thread about standardizing the controls is a great idea. I will see if I can adapt that to my Levitar - Vector game and push out an update for it.

- Les

9. Lesbird

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Boston Massachusetts
    Levitar - Vector is scheduled for release this Thursday, May 8th. The cost will be FREE with NO (as in zero) ADs. IAPs for ship upgrades and for buying fuel are completely optional - you can earn credits to buy this stuff by completing levels but if you want to support the game and/or are in a hurry to upgrade your ship then you can use IAPs.

- Les

10. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Oh lovely!!!! I had a very similar game on my black and white MacIntosh long long ago and loved it!

11. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    Great job guys! I'll download it and probably support you with IAP

12. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Cool--I guess I did play TurboRaketti with joystick, so I'm sure your game will work fine that way too.

Look forward to seeing it.

13. Lesbird

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Boston Massachusetts
    I used to have an Amiga (actually I still do, A1000) but I don't remember TurboRaketti. I YouTube'd it and it looks pretty cool. I probably would've really enjoyed that game back in the day.

- Les

14. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    Coming out this week?

15. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    It's out - I picked it up yesterday. Got it going with a controller too.

16. How is it with mfi . The touch controls are kind of hard cause it is combo tilt and touch, is it better for you?

17. Lesbird

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Boston Massachusetts
    It is live. I just posted in the "new games" thread.

- Les

18. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Mfi is very good and iCade works a treat too.

19. Lesbird

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Boston Massachusetts
    Do you think the game would benefit from virtual touch controls (left/right/thrust/fire)? It just seems to me like it would consume too much screen space by doing that.

Would love to get some feedback from others so I can push out an update to fix the flaws.

Also, are you running out of fuel too soon? I'm thinking I might need to reduce the rate at which fuel is consumed but not sure if that's an issue. For me, I can make it to about level 20 with the basic ship and farther with ship and weapon upgrades.

- Les