Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-21-2014, 02:45 AM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Default double drop - an hypnotising minimal action arcade game

/*
> Edit!
> Here are a couple of gif
*/

Double drop is a game inspired by nights out in Tokyo Arcades and Pachinko.
It starts as a very approachable game, with simple mechanics, and it evolves into a fast paced, reaction based arcade game, which really tests players skills and endurance.

The game creates a hypnotising experience with generative music, build with over 200 single note music samples, and features both, a fast, raw, same-device multiplayer experience, and a solo mode, designed to allow co-operation, with about 80 challenges.

http://www.gerardrallo.net/doubledrop
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/double-drop/id846597898

Extra video, of a whole game:
https://vimeo.com/90297487

This is what the VS game looks like:
( This is an older version, the sound is not working on that video, and the interface is now slightly different )

https://vimeo.com/80773789

Please, give it a try!

Last edited by gerardrallo; 05-03-2014 at 08:47 PM..
Old 04-21-2014, 02:52 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

This looks completely fun and amazing! I am completely into minimalist type games that are hypnotic. The sound is also very beautiful. I know what pachinko is but I really do not understand what is happening in those videos.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:20 AM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpepper43 View Post
This looks completely fun and amazing! I am completely into minimalist type games that are hypnotic. The sound is also very beautiful. I know what pachinko is but I really do not understand what is happening in those videos.
Hey, thanks!
Actually, even though it might end up working against my benefit, this was exactly my main intention with this game!
This is the feeling I got when I went to a gaming arcade in Tokyo for the first time. I would see someone playing something really fast, with lots of things happening on the screen that I would really not understand, but I wouldn't stop watching because of the momentum the motion, colours and sound created...
And that is exactly what I tried to achieve.

Once you start playing, the mechanics really are very simple, though.

You drop balls from the bottom of the screen, to pick up triangles and bring them to the other side of the screen.
Each time you do so, you score 1 point, and get 1 extra ball.

Enemy balls fall from the other side of the screen, if they make it to your side with a triangle, you loose one ball.

If you run out of balls, the game is over.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:31 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardrallo View Post
Hey, thanks!
Actually, even though it might end up working against my benefit, this was exactly my main intention with this game!
This is the feeling I got when I went to a gaming arcade in Tokyo for the first time. I would see someone playing something really fast, with lots of things happening on the screen that I would really not understand, but I wouldn't stop watching because of the momentum the motion, colours and sound created...
And that is exactly what I tried to achieve.

Once you start playing, the mechanics really are very simple, though.

You drop balls from the bottom of the screen, to pick up triangles and bring them to the other side of the screen.
Each time you do so, you score 1 point, and get 1 extra ball.

Enemy balls fall from the other side of the screen, if they make it to your side with a triangle, you loose one ball.

If you run out of balls, the game is over.
Ok, I'm starting to understand it. So the X circles are like the pegs/pins in pachinko. I have been to japan and Taiwan and their arcades are awesome. Usually the people who were playing pachinko were old people smoking a bunch of cigarettes. I saw some of the new machines when I was in Chicago and they look so amazing. Super high tech. Could you please explain the colors bars at the top of the screen? Thanks!
Old 04-21-2014, 04:11 AM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Ok, I'm starting to understand it. So the X circles are like the pegs/pins in pachinko.
Exactly!

Quote:
I have been to japan and Taiwan and their arcades are awesome. Usually the people who were playing pachinko were old people smoking a bunch of cigarettes. I saw some of the new machines when I was in Chicago and they look so amazing. Super high tech.
Exactly! So true!
I think the kind of games that exhibit the most amazing spectacle in arcades are the rhythm games and shoot'em ups, which, when played by a local, are completely un-followable. BUT! These games are extremely hard to master.
Pachinko, offers a very unique spectacle on its own, but as you said, it is being played by a bunch of old guys, smoking, not even paying attention to what they do. So, I wanted to do something in between. Simple mechanics, that can generate satisfaction without the need of mastering the technique, but giving the possibility of bringing it to "the next level" if you actually do master it.

Quote:
Could you please explain the colors bars at the top of the screen? Thanks!

Sure!

The truth is... they are not very useful most of the time.
They display the amount of triangles you have collected for each colour.

The game is procedurally generated, and always plays the same way. What changes is the difficulty of the 80 challenges to complete ( think... Tiny wings or Jetpack joyride ).

A few of the missions are something along these lines:
"Collect over X triangles, the same amount of each color".

So, it serves a quick reference, used in some circumstances only.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:21 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Could you please explain the colors bars at the top of the screen? Thanks!
It used for showing how many triangle have you collected, if you success to collect all the color you'll got super power to destroy the black ball. The more you play, the more you like this game, that's which happened to me. At first, the 'fun' side from this game just a little and felt flat, but after you understand the game mechanic, this game become more challenging.

current hi-score: 88

Suggestion for developer:
please give the pause button during the gameplay.
also: the statistic page looks bit messy on ipad air screen, hope you'll fix this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (130.7 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by copaeci; 04-21-2014 at 04:33 AM.. Reason: Add image
Old 04-21-2014, 04:33 AM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Thank you so much for playing the game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by copaeci View Post
also: the statistic page looks bit messy on ipad air screen, hope you'll fix this
Oh no!

I was completely unaware of the rendering problem! Thank you so much for letting me know! I'll have a look at it as soon as possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by copaeci View Post
Suggestion: please give the pause button during the gameplay.
current hi-score: 88
Ah! You can double tap "around the center" of the screen at any point to pause the game. My intention was to teach that during the tutorials ( that is why the game asks you to do it a couple of times the first times you play ).

I see it wasn't as clear as I would have liked...

Thanks again!
Old 04-21-2014, 06:14 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardrallo View Post
Ah! You can double tap "around the center" of the screen at any point to pause the game. My intention was to teach that during the tutorials ( that is why the game asks you to do it a couple of times the first times you play ).

I see it wasn't as clear as I would have liked...

Thanks again!
Woops.. my mistake, I don't realize it.. lol
Old 05-03-2014, 11:41 AM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Default ScreenshotSaturday, update, and codes.

I've made a couple of cool gifs for ScreenshotSaturday.
Even though the screenshots are from the already released iPad version, I am currently working on bringing it to the iPhone.

I also uploaded a new binary to the appstore last week.
So, the rendering bugs in the statistics page should be sorted soon!

Last thing.
As I work on the iPhone version, I need to create new game modes and change some bits and pieces from the existing ones, because they do not work as well on the tiny screen.
Therefore, all possible feedback on the current version will be much appreciated for the upcoming updates!

To make things easier, here are a few codes:

HE3FHKX7AXFM - used
E63REKJYFHMK - ?
HHHHWJHKW9F9 - used
RPA73KFMEPLK - ?
FK9EA3RWJPA9 - used
7HEA4Y3EH3WW - ?
9X9J7TTEN9R7 - used
H6K93NP6YARA - used
K39EYTMWYWRN - used
XNELNNW3T6XP - used

Last edited by gerardrallo; 05-03-2014 at 10:28 PM.. Reason: ( updating codes as claimed )
Old 05-03-2014, 11:53 AM

Took XNELNNW3T6XP, thanks