★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

World Wars - Two identical games (name, price, graphics)

08-19-2009, 12:39 PM
World Wars - Two identical games (name, price, graphics)

This is kind of strange - Two seemingly identical games were released within 2 weeks of each other - Both cost .99 and both are called World Wars - The one that was published first was published by Powerise Software, the second was published by MTV Networks.

Has anyone tried either of these? Are there any noticeable differences between the two?

Playing: FIFA 12 Monster Island Quarrel Deluxe FIFA Superstars Fix-It-Up
Waiting For: Trenches 2, Ultra Kid, Car Jack Streets 2, Star Command
Plus+, Game Center, Open Feint, Crystal, Gameloft Live: jecebn
08-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Thats weird..
08-19-2009, 03:33 PM
Someone is ripping someone...off...? Hm...
08-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Both games are the same--they are two examples of the same online game. One of the sellers, Addicting Games, has hundreds of flash-based games on their website that you can play for free (and I believe this game is one of them.)

It seems to be a new trend--taking flash games that can be played for free online and selling them in the app store.
Look at these examples by a different seller:
Escape 2 (The Car)
and
Escape (The Room)
Both games can be played for free online, but are available in the app store for a small price.

I read that Addicting Games plans on offering a lot of their flash games as apps. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it's good to be aware that you can also play the same game for free on the website...
08-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gekkota View Post
Both games are the same--they are two examples of the same online game. One of the sellers, Addicting Games, has hundreds of flash-based games on their website that you can play for free (and I believe this game is one of them.)

It seems to be a new trend--taking flash games that can be played for free online and selling them in the app store.
Look at these examples by a different seller:
Escape 2 (The Car)
and
Escape (The Room)
Both games can be played for free online, but are available in the app store for a small price.

I read that Addicting Games plans on offering a lot of their flash games as apps. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it's good to be aware that you can also play the same game for free on the website...
stilll doesnt explain why they both in the appstore from drifferent companies. i suspect shenanigans
08-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbeaver View Post
stilll doesnt explain why they both in the appstore from drifferent companies. i suspect shenanigans
Well, it may or may not be shenanigans.
The app store has a long, colorful history of shenanigans.
I do know that the same flash games appear on several different websites.
It may be something to do with the licensing of the game, or--as you said-- shenanigans!