Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-22-2014, 07:29 AM
Eggroll Games Eggroll Games is offline
Developer
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Winston Salem
Posts: 401
Default I'd love to hear your feedback on our icon choice.

We have decided on this icon for Tappy Lander! I'd love to hear your thoughts. Here is the trailer for context: Tappy Lander Trailer



Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-22-2014, 10:04 AM
NAFNA GAMES NAFNA GAMES is offline
Member
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Barcelona.
Posts: 67
Default tilt the ship?

Hi guys ... watched the video, and never was the space ship tilted like in the icon ... the icon gives a sensation of flying, the game is basically a control/landing app.

we also had (actually, still have ...) icon design dilemmas ...

thats the way it is, got to squeeze it out ... good luck
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-22-2014, 07:32 PM
OnlyJoe OnlyJoe is offline
Member
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 77
Default

There is an idea out there that having a character that is looking directly at you increases the number of downloads an app gets. I haven't seen an real reports on this. But if you look at most of the big companies they do follow this logic with their icons.
And psychologically it is true that our eyes are drawn to faces that are looking at us, so it does make sense. And as an example, use that screen shot of all the icons you took, my eyes quickly noticed the "blot", "Alien Jump", "Monkey Math" and "Pangolin" first. This may also be connected to the color contrast in those icons, but the character gives it more life, and makes me think I can relate to it in a subconscious way.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-22-2014, 07:53 PM
tekn0wledg tekn0wledg is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 14
Default

Interesting theory. Any articles to link with that idea?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-23-2014, 06:05 AM
Destined Destined is online now
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyJoe View Post
There is an idea out there that having a character that is looking directly at you increases the number of downloads an app gets. I haven't seen an real reports on this. But if you look at most of the big companies they do follow this logic with their icons.
And psychologically it is true that our eyes are drawn to faces that are looking at us, so it does make sense. And as an example, use that screen shot of all the icons you took, my eyes quickly noticed the "blot", "Alien Jump", "Monkey Math" and "Pangolin" first. This may also be connected to the color contrast in those icons, but the character gives it more life, and makes me think I can relate to it in a subconscious way.
I agree in that I picked alien jump, blot, and pangolin (in that order) caught my eye first.


I also agree the logo to me looks more like blasting off than landing.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-02-2014, 07:47 AM
Eggroll Games Eggroll Games is offline
Developer
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Winston Salem
Posts: 401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAFNA GAMES View Post
Hi guys ... watched the video, and never was the space ship tilted like in the icon ... the icon gives a sensation of flying, the game is basically a control/landing app.

we also had (actually, still have ...) icon design dilemmas ...

thats the way it is, got to squeeze it out ... good luck
I did worry about this a little. The rocket was rotated so it could fill the icon more and be in focus. I will consider going back to the upright rocket in a future update.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-02-2014, 07:50 AM
Eggroll Games Eggroll Games is offline
Developer
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Winston Salem
Posts: 401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyJoe View Post
There is an idea out there that having a character that is looking directly at you increases the number of downloads an app gets. I haven't seen an real reports on this. But if you look at most of the big companies they do follow this logic with their icons.
And psychologically it is true that our eyes are drawn to faces that are looking at us, so it does make sense. And as an example, use that screen shot of all the icons you took, my eyes quickly noticed the "blot", "Alien Jump", "Monkey Math" and "Pangolin" first. This may also be connected to the color contrast in those icons, but the character gives it more life, and makes me think I can relate to it in a subconscious way.
Yes, all our kids apps have a character making eye contact. I personally have found that what some people consider "cluttered" (having a lot of little details in the icon) seems to get more downloads. Our last app had a character engaging in eye contact with a little detail in the background-it seems to work well but I have no research to prove it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-02-2014, 07:52 AM
Eggroll Games Eggroll Games is offline
Developer
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Winston Salem
Posts: 401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined View Post
I agree in that I picked alien jump, blot, and pangolin (in that order) caught my eye first.


I also agree the logo to me looks more like blasting off than landing.
Thanks for the specifics. I agree they are striking.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-02-2014, 07:52 AM
Eggroll Games Eggroll Games is offline
Developer
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Winston Salem
Posts: 401
Default

Here is a Tappy Lander gameplay video with developer commentary. This will give you an idea of what's in the game.


Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent