Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-22-2014, 02:45 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Default On the Lam: Fugitive Simulator (by Skaldic Games)

Old 04-22-2014, 02:50 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

This has to be one of the most politically incorrect games on the app store.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:27 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMojoRisin View Post
This has to be one of the most politically incorrect games on the app store.
I think that's why I like it lol. First saw it on Steam Greenlight, wasn't actually expecting it on iOS. Anyway, I like sims, especially ones that try a unique approach so I'll definitely give this a go!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:25 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Downloading now, will post impressions later
Old 04-22-2014, 08:33 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

First this important PSA:

I'll get the bad out of the way:
- Some aspects of the game make this a poor port of the PC version. The How To Play screens are just crammed with text, some UI elements are way too small and hard to read.
- Overall the game has a decidedly low-budget vibe. Now of course it's a one-man indie project, but On The Lam is nowhere as slick or well-designed as other menu-based simulator games like Organ Trail and Plague Inc.
- The game is pretty slow. There's no fast forward and at times events and actions drags on. And it can be kind of boring. The extent of gameplay is watching markers moving across a map, reading text, and selecting choices.

But while these aspects do diminish On The Lam in some ways, the game and the experience shine. There's a ton of depth here. From the get-go, you can choose between three different scenarios: murderer on the run, escaped prisoner, fleeing terrorist. Each changes the starting scenario in interesting ways (murderer has a few hours before the police are alerted, prisoner has nothing, the police is out in full force looking for the terrorist). Not only that, you can alter your stats (endurance, dexterity, perception) and select perks (armed, driver, etc.). There's even a hardcore Realistic mode, where you won't be notified of police activity or what info they have.

That's all before you're on the lam. To give an example of the game's depth, here was my first (failed) playthrough. I choose to be a murderer, and a driver so I'd start with a car. I headed south. A witness called the police so they were aware of the car I was driving. Abandoning my vehicle, I found a house with no one inside, broke in, and searched for supplies. I found a necklace and decided to wait till the owners came home. I could have killed the mom and her kids, but instead tied them up and stole their car.

As I drove south, I learned the police had acquired my phone number and could track my location. I decided to destroy my phone, but that would prevent me from calling friends and family for help until I found a new phone.

Then my car ran out of gas so I was on foot again. My character was thirsty, so I sold the necklace at a pawn shop and bought a bottle of water from a store. I could have stole it or robbed the place, but decided not to.

Soon my past decision to spare the family can back to haunt me. They had escaped and called the police so the authorities knew my appearance and that I was in the area. I decided to hide in a nearby wooded area. Increasingly tired and hungry, losing health from spider bites, I went to sleep..and soon died from exhaustion and starvation

So would I recommend On The Lam? While the presentation is lacking, I feel the depth more than makes up for that aspect. I doubt there'll be a game as unique and politically incorrect as this one on the App Store for a while. For a mere $1, I think On The Lam is worth a try

Last edited by Bronxsta; 04-22-2014 at 09:10 PM..
Old 04-22-2014, 09:20 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

That sounds exactly like something I'd adore. I'm not a stickler for graphics or presentation, with the very bare-bones Alter Ego being one of my favourite iOS games of all time. If it brings a unique idea to the table then it has to be worth supporting for the incredibly small entrance fee! Cheers for the impressions!
Old 04-23-2014, 01:10 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

So anything like highscore tracking or is it simply succeed or fail?
Old 04-23-2014, 06:05 AM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
So anything like highscore tracking or is it simply succeed or fail?
There isn't a high score. If you get caught, you fail. But there are post game stats highlighting stuff like time on the run, how many states entered, how many cars stolen and people killed

So my second attempt lasted two minutes. I was a domestic terrorist. Hijacked a car, headed west. Cops sent a sketch of me out to the news and then I noticed a police car was following me. Tried to speed away, my car crashed in the ensuing chase, and I was caught
Old 04-23-2014, 06:17 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxsta View Post
There isn't a high score. If you get caught, you fail. But there are post game stats highlighting stuff like time on the run, how many states entered, how many cars stolen and people killed

So my second attempt lasted two minutes. I was a domestic terrorist. Hijacked a car, headed west. Cops sent a sketch of me out to the news and then I noticed a police car was following me. Tried to speed away, my car crashed in the ensuing chase, and I was caught

It seem like a nation of cops are goin my way
As I wheel and deal on to the highway
Causing panic to the other motorists
They never seen a underground terrorist
Pull a grenade and blow up a cop barricade
As the clouds of smoke start to fade
Out of the frame I'm faster than the speed of light
As I hold my weapon real tight
The force of steel show just how I feel
Police bullet shatters my windshield
Bonnie & Clyde, not the past, but the present, y'all
How many times they're at the police ball?
Zero, cause they're goin to funerals
You disagree, then you're next for a burial
This is no TV drama, robbers and cops
On my mind is - hip-hop
While the last cop tailin me, I should stop him
But there's no need for Dee to pop him
I spared his life so he can call headquarters
And tell them all: I crossed the borders

I loved A Dark Room, so I am really going to get this.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:26 PM
iPad, iOS 5.x

I'm a little disappointed by the lack of a turn-based option: events happen in real-time regardless of player input--and I like to examine stats, plan my moves, etc... Now I'm relying on the 'pause' function--but it sucks the fun out of the experience.

Last edited by verlaine; 04-23-2014 at 04:29 PM..