★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Dark slash $0.99-----> freee

04-23-2014, 01:10 AM
Dark slash $0.99-----> freee

Came out last week
04-23-2014, 01:19 AM
Link?

04-23-2014, 01:56 AM
Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgOPyR6C24k

I don't know what is your opinion but I have been tired to see all the time pixels and pixels. Is this a trend to have pixelated graphics? Is this nice? Do we have to remember that generation all the time due to nostalgia? I myself have grown up with pixelated games from NES era but I don't understand where is the fun to create these type of graphics even nowadays. We have HD devices, not 80s & 90s game handhelds.
04-23-2014, 02:33 AM
Link: https://itunes.apple.com/uy/app/dark-slash/id852976052?mt=8

04-23-2014, 02:36 AM
Doesn't look bad imho. Downloading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkarafo View Post
I don't know what is your opinion but I have been tired to see all the time pixels and pixels. Is this a trend to have pixelated graphics? ...
It is definitely a trend. And I don't like it. The way I see it, pixels have become fashionable which is definitely a paradox in 'retina times'.
I can see how devs get into this:
- If you got smooth graphics people want it smooth all the way to 2048x1536 on iPad 3. Graphics that look smooth across all iOS devices are somewhat more expensive (3D apps don't really have this problem) to create and keep up to date. But really devs get no kudos whatsoever for doing the effort.
- There's probably a wealth of 'pixelated treasures' (old 2D assets) lying around.
- But if you go with pixels your game becomes 'stylish' and say bye to device differences.

Creator of Antistar: Rising (3D adventure) and Darwin's nightmare (vertical shooter)
Working on: Game Degree Zero, Project Spectral and The Belated Antistar Sequel.

Last edited by tea; 04-23-2014 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Kioshi beat me to it.
04-23-2014, 02:40 AM
This was released last week. -_-

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword

Last edited by Exact-Psience; 04-23-2014 at 04:07 AM.
04-23-2014, 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
This was released last week. -_-
Yeah, that was quick. In the other thread it didn't seem like it appealed to many people, maybe they just want to get people to try it? Sucks for those who bought it though.
04-23-2014, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tea View Post
Doesn't look bad imho. Downloading.

It is definitely a trend. And I don't like it. The way I see it, pixels have become fashionable which is definitely a paradox in 'retina times'.
I can see how devs get into this:
- If you got smooth graphics people want it smooth all the way to 2048x1536 on iPad 3. Graphics that look smooth across all iOS devices are somewhat more expensive (3D apps don't really have this problem) to create and keep up to date. But really devs get no kudos whatsoever for doing the effort.
- There's probably a wealth of 'pixelated treasures' (old 2D assets) lying around.
- But if you go with pixels your game becomes 'stylish' and say bye to device differences.
Pixel art has been around for decades. It's not a trend. Actually there's a simple explanation. It's an art style, an artistic choice by a developer. Would you question why an artist prefer pastels over paint? Pixel graphics does not mean retro graphics, it doesn't have to be aimed at nostalgia, and they're not any better or worse than any other art style
04-23-2014, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elr0y7 View Post
Yeah, that was quick. In the other thread it didn't seem like it appealed to many people, maybe they just want to get people to try it? Sucks for those who bought it though.
I normally don't complain about new release price drops.
It seems to have become a trend to release a freemium game with a price tag and then a week or less later drop the price to free.
This is a perfect example.
It's a decent game. Continues cost $'s though.
I do wish publishers would just make up their minds. Is your game being paid for up front, or on an instalment plan... ?
04-23-2014, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobunaga View Post
I do wish publishers would just make up their minds. Is your game being paid for up front, or on an instalment plan... ?
It's a cash grab. It's always a cash grab. They want to make money and forget about the consumer. Solution: don't buy it till it goes free, then don't buy any IAP if you do get it.