Wayward Souls - Pixel Art Debate

04-23-2014, 05:27 AM
#1
Wayward Souls - Pixel Art Debate

Why do every game have retro Graphics?

Hello - I have retina display on my iPad!

I want nice 2014 retina graphics!

>
It should be a standard feature that you can turn on/off in-game music and sound effects separately in all games
!
04-23-2014, 05:31 AM
#2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyhjyh View Post
Why do every game have retro Graphics?

Hello - I have retina display on my iPad!

I want nice 2014 retina graphics!
This game features stunning art and fantastic lighting, not to mention a silky smooth framerate. And yes, it has support for retina iPads as well. So it does have "nice 2014 retina graphics!". Just because the art style does not match your tastes does not mean the graphics are not "nice".

Obsessions: FTL | Sword of the Stars: The Pit (Gold Edition)
GC: onlyphoenix

04-23-2014, 05:36 AM
#3
Actually now that I'm mostly on cellular network I preffer games that aren't over 100 MB.
Retro graphic discussion is pointless , some people like it others don't but they usually sell well so you better accept them as a normal part of App Store.
04-23-2014, 05:42 AM
#4
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_neo View Post
This game features stunning art and fantastic lighting, not to mention a silky smooth framerate. And yes, it has support for retina iPads as well. So it does have "nice 2014 retina graphics!". Just because the art style does not match your tastes does not mean the graphics are not "nice".
Going to have to agree to disagree with you on this Sapphire. These are retro graphics plain and simple. Inifinity Blade, The Collectables etc are impressive graphics and in my mind games like Sword and Sworcery or Limbo are "art style" graphics.

My opinion on the matter is the same as jyhjyh, too many "pixel art" games for my tastes. Not as though it matters a damn to the gameplay either way and this one does look really good so I'm going to give it a go.

Gamecentre ID - .P0tshot. Playing - Magic 2014, Battle Academy, Shadowrun, Warhammer Quest, Hearthstone, Space Hulk, FTL, Xcom Wanting - Cardhunter, Battleheart Legacy, Infinity Wars, Exiles: Far Colonies and someone please make iOS Blood Bowl!!
04-23-2014, 06:05 AM
#5
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Harrow , England
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyhjyh View Post
Why do every game have retro Graphics?

Hello - I have retina display on my iPad!

I want nice 2014 retina graphics!
Yeah I had retro graphics when I was young I'm now 39 and want decent graphics
I love some retro games but not all the time.
Anyway I'm not forced to buy it, if it floats your boat then enjoy.
04-23-2014, 06:12 AM
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighteyes74 View Post
Yeah I had retro graphics when I was young I'm now 39 and want decent graphics
I love some retro games but not all the time.
Anyway I'm not forced to buy it, if it floats your boat then enjoy.
What exactly are "decent" graphics? If you're talking great lighting, atmospheric areas, varied detailed enemy designs, cool visuals effects and little touches, Wayward Souls has that in spades.

Pixel graphics do not equate to retro graphics.

Last edited by Bronxsta; 04-23-2014 at 06:14 AM.
04-23-2014, 06:17 AM
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyhjyh View Post
Why do every game have retro Graphics?

Hello - I have retina display on my iPad!

I want nice 2014 retina graphics!
Perhaps you forgot your 3D glasses; try it, the graphics will have a huge jump in quality!!

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
04-23-2014, 06:18 AM
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadedodger View Post
Going to have to agree to disagree with you on this Sapphire. These are retro graphics plain and simple. Inifinity Blade, The Collectables etc are impressive graphics and in my mind games like Sword and Sworcery or Limbo are "art style" graphics.

My opinion on the matter is the same as jyhjyh, too many "pixel art" games for my tastes. Not as though it matters a damn to the gameplay either way and this one does look really good so I'm going to give it a go.
You admit that you prefer a different style of graphics, that's perfectly fine. We all have different tastes. However, no one can objectively say the graphics in this game are not "nice" and more to the point of the original post, are not "nice 2014 retina graphics!".

Obsessions: FTL | Sword of the Stars: The Pit (Gold Edition)
GC: onlyphoenix
04-23-2014, 08:41 AM
#9
People are actually complaining about "retro" graphics still? Crazy.

Simpsons Tapped Out: supersmashandy
04-23-2014, 08:49 AM
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by andysmash View Post
People are actually complaining about "retro" graphics still? Crazy.
I would not call this games graphics retro but yeah