★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Devs What is the best software out there to design apps

12-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Devs What is the best software out there to design apps

hey everybody i would like to no the best and easiest software to create an app for the iphone/ipod touch. I am an developer for computer games that i make in my free time and i want to start on ipods now.
Thanks
12-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Learn ObjC or C++ if you really mean to develop games. It's not about learning a software, it's about learning a language.

On the other hand, I hear Unity has some high level tools that allow you to throw content into an engine and press a button to get it running on the device.

12-15-2008, 01:34 AM
Frand, I think the iPhone SDK works with xCode, a variant of objective C

Please come up with a 2nd Gen iPod Jailbreak!
12-15-2008, 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oma View Post
Frand, I think the iPhone SDK works with xCode, a variant of objective C
Objective C is the language most iPhone games are programmed in, while Xcode is the environment you develop with. Objective C is the cereal, while Xcode is the bowl and the spoon.
12-15-2008, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little White Bear Studios View Post
Objective C is the language most iPhone games are programmed in, while Xcode is the environment you develop with. Objective C is the cereal, while Xcode is the bowl and the spoon.
Thanks for correcting me

Please come up with a 2nd Gen iPod Jailbreak!
12-15-2008, 12:23 PM
If games are your interest, definitely look into Unity (unity3d.com). I'm getting back to Unity soon myself (I first tried it several versions ago and it was great) and I can't wait to get back into it.

There's a free trial, although not (I don't think) of the iPhone support. But you can try the tools and the engine without paying.

Morgan Adams (GameCenter: “Adams Immersive”)
My upcoming first game: Scree (Forum thread)
My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: DotSpace (Forum thread)
12-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Allright thanks for all your help I think I'm going to go with unity!!!!
12-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams Immersive View Post
There's a free trial, although not (I don't think) of the iPhone support.
There is if you request one, like you can request a demo of Unity Pro.

--Eric
12-15-2008, 11:29 PM
That's cool.

But demo schmemo, I'm just gonna buy the thing (Already bought non-iPhone Unity.)

Morgan Adams (GameCenter: “Adams Immersive”)
My upcoming first game: Scree (Forum thread)
My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: DotSpace (Forum thread)
12-16-2008, 11:19 AM
I love Unity and what it does for the Mac/PC. But it's a huge resource hog on the iPhone. So you'll have to design around it if you want anything that runs at a reasonable rate.

I've made a lot of games. You've played them.