Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-01-2014, 01:10 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Default Word Chaser - free iOS word teaser that makes you think ahead

Squeaky Software (yep, that's me), has just released V1 of Word Chaser for iOS devices. A turn-about App that uses Facebook to invite opponents/friends. Please note that the boards may look a bit like Scrabble or Words With Friends, but the game plays completely differently, with the computer providing a board of words for you to 'chase' around for along as you can, before you pass the turn to your opponent.

You are challenged to reach specific targets every round, such as a certain score or number of Combos (combined words) and if you can reach that target, you get to continue. Scoring is achieved by placing your tiles to extend existing words, creating new words or a combination of both. Fail and the game passes to your opponent who will try to out-do your round score. Succeed and you will continue, but the computer increases your level of difficulty by removing all used letters and increasing the target to attain. Planning one or more moves ahead will really improve your score because you are in control until the target cannot be reached.

The tile total reduces with each move, the game ending when all the tiles are used by a player.

Multipliers tiles, such as doubles and triples (and possibly quadruples if you have active Mysteries), pepper the background, changing on each round. Used in conjunction with your tiles, these are key to high scores.

Although not necessary to play Word Chaser, there is an 8th letter available (5 free when game installed) which helps boost your opportunities and scores.

There is also a Mystery tile available (25 free when game installed) which throws random bonuses on to the board. These are very useful in attaining the best scores, and the Mystery is the only way to activate quadruple multipliers.

With virtually infinite combinations of boards being produced by Word Chaser, you will never be able to resist another shot at the high score table, which keeps track of your best ever score, and your friends best ever scores. Just who will be the greatest at Word Chaser?

There are a few in-apps but none of them are necessary to play the game, they just help make it easier to play and get higher scores.

NB. Version 1.1 is coming soon, being submitted to Apple on May 1st and it has the following updates;
  • Full control over whether or not you post messages to Facebook
  • An automatic Score & Combo calculator that takes the guesswork out of whether or not you have reached the current Target.
  • 500 new words added to the game that didn't make V1.
  • A more comprehensive Options screen.
  • A few very minor bug fixes

Please enjoy it, I've spent quite a while trying to make it feel good, and it has the side effect of throwing all sorts of words at you that will have you thinking 'what does THAT mean?

The App store link;
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/word-chaser/id609777476?ls=1&mt=8

A video link with captions;
http://youtu.be/gI2pnr3cfUM

Thanks, TallScot
Attached Images
File Type: png ipad_play_small.png (450.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png ipad_combo4_small.png (430.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: png iPhone5_score17.png (621.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg iPhone4_gettingdiffcult.jpg (133.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg scorescombos_calculator.jpg (109.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: png ipad_a_tutorial_screen_small.png (328.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png mandelbrot_small.png (403.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: png startnewgame_small.png (604.3 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by TallScot; 05-01-2014 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: Added another screenshot
Old 05-06-2014, 09:32 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Default Updated, Word Chaser V1.1 is out. Hurrah.

We've released Version 1.1 with some cool updates;
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/word-chaser/id609777476?ls=1&mt=8

Full control of whether Word Chaser posts anything to Facebook.
Score & Combo calculator that shows your totals as you place tiles, (In-App purchase) - very useful.
More comprehensive Options screen.
Over 1000 new words added to the word list.
Minor bug fixes.

Please enjoy, it's still free to play.

NB Version 1.2 is planned for the near future and will contain a 'Prize' mode where you can access a specific menu and enter Prize codes. I'll let you know when it's ready as I want to give away some codes that remove ADs and free up the auto-calculator (they only work once!) to anyone who downloads the game and does a review anywhere on a recognised site such as IGN or similar. I'd just need an e-mail to send the code to.

If the review (and it's YOUR review, no influence from me ) goes up (let me know!), I'll then send you a code to unlock ALL the IN_APPS on your device. Cool, huh?

Anyway, I'll post again when that is ready to rock. In the meantime V1.1 is extremely playable and those who've downloaded it have really gotten hooked.

Last edited by TallScot; 05-06-2014 at 10:02 AM..