Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 05-01-2014, 01:41 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Circix - Proof of why Windows Phone is a must for indie devs

Our puzzle game, Circix, was released simultaneously on WP8, Android and iOS. After it proved most successful on WP8, co-developer Graham wrote an article to hopefully help any game developers out there who may be considering whether or not to release on Windows Phone:

http://www.circixgame.com/why-window...or-indie-devs/

Also, check out our other thread on marketing techniques that we have used to promote the game:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=228797

Last edited by kinoro; 05-21-2014 at 01:15 PM..
Old 05-01-2014, 04:42 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

I would love to get started on windows devices. I actually was approached by msft at some point to port a few of my reg apps over but it just didnt seem worth it for a free phone and design support.

I guess the only thing that bugs me is not knowing how fragmentation works over there. Will I be able to design for iphone and it will work on ipad and reg computers as well? I remember at one time they were trying to do that but not sure if that ever happened or what.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:51 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchmint View Post
I would love to get started on windows devices. I actually was approached by msft at some point to port a few of my reg apps over but it just didnt seem worth it for a free phone and design support.

I guess the only thing that bugs me is not knowing how fragmentation works over there. Will I be able to design for iphone and it will work on ipad and reg computers as well? I remember at one time they were trying to do that but not sure if that ever happened or what.
I use Unity for Tales of the Adventure Company and the porting cost for Windows Phone is literally zero. I have a couple lines of code to handle the fact that Windows Phone doesn't use Game Center/Google Play, but other than that, the code is 100% identical.

I do think Windows Phone is an untapped market, and while the revenue just isn't at iOS level, it's true that there is a lot less competition. With multi-platform frameworks like Unity, there's no excuse not to hit every major platform these days. I suspect that the 'ceiling' (the maximum amount an app can make) is a lot lower on Windows Phone, but that the 'floor' (the minimum/average amount an app can make) is probably not too different from iOS. In other words, you'll make way more on iOS if you have a hit, but perform similarly across platforms if your app is 'average'

Thanks for sharing the numbers!
Old 05-02-2014, 09:56 AM

From a technical point of view, we wrote the WP8 version in C# using the monogame framework. I definitely want to look into using Unity going forward though - maintaining 3 different sets of source code for the same game is exhausting!
Old 05-02-2014, 04:25 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinoro View Post
From a technical point of view, we wrote the WP8 version in C# using the monogame framework. I definitely want to look into using Unity going forward though - maintaining 3 different sets of source code for the same game is exhausting!
Can't recommend it highly enough. The whole "write once, run everywhere" paradigm has never been more true with Unity. It even deploys as a Windows 8 Store/Modern UI app, with universal app support (wp8/win 8) coming soon. It's really remarkable what Unity has accomplished.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:41 AM

I'm interested in porting one of my games. What's a good phone for testing?
Old 05-03-2014, 09:29 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothwerks View Post
Can't recommend it highly enough. The whole "write once, run everywhere" paradigm has never been more true with Unity. It even deploys as a Windows 8 Store/Modern UI app, with universal app support (wp8/win 8) coming soon. It's really remarkable what Unity has accomplished.
Not only Unity, there are other frameworks as well. For 2d games I still prefer Monkey X which has much more platforms than Unity and is much easier to handle.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:31 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanadeshana View Post
I'm interested in porting one of my games. What's a good phone for testing?
Windows Phone 8 doesn't seem to have the really weak phones like Android does, so pretty much anything will do. The Nokia Lumia 520 is a cheap phone that has one important feature of WP8 that you want to cover: The 15:9 aspect ratio screen, which is common.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:26 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonjump View Post
Windows Phone 8 doesn't seem to have the really weak phones like Android does, so pretty much anything will do. The Nokia Lumia 520 is a cheap phone that has one important feature of WP8 that you want to cover: The 15:9 aspect ratio screen, which is common.
I second the 520. Nokia has a solid majority marketshare, so some kind of Lumia makes sense. The 520 is also a low-end device as far as Windows Phones go (while still being quite captable), and so if it runs great there, it'll run great on higher spec phones. Lastly, it's dirt cheap; ~150 off-contract, and I think you can get it even cheaper sometimes.

@Xaron: Hadn't heard of that, but that's cool that there are an increasing number of platforms like Unity. fwiw, Unity runs on pretty much everything under the sun as well. I can't think of any major platform not supported by Unity.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:51 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothwerks View Post
@Xaron: Hadn't heard of that, but that's cool that there are an increasing number of platforms like Unity. fwiw, Unity runs on pretty much everything under the sun as well. I can't think of any major platform not supported by Unity.
Yep I agree. I love Unity for its simplicity but for 2d only apps I still prefer Monkey-X which is quite powerful and has lots of targets.