★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Is the Burnout series possible on the iPhone?

12-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Is the Burnout series possible on the iPhone?

So EA's Need for Speed is getting canned:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171828

I'm pretty sure EA is still going to want to pump out a few racers for the iPhone, so how many of you think they'll head over to Criterion Software and ask them to make a Burnout title?

We've already seen that racing games can be done well on the iPhone, but the Burnout series has always been about insanely fast action and getting physical with other racers. Imaging jerking your iPhone/touch to the left and right to take down other racers, could be pretty awesome as long as there's very little lag.

Latest iPhone Reviews: iDracula | Crash Nitro Kart 3D | Rainbow Ninja | experience+
12-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEightThree View Post
So EA's Need for Speed is getting canned:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171828
What?! I wonder if Craig knows anything about this. I agree, Burnout is awesome but yeah there's always the lag issue. I mean, even Raging Thunder lags a little, spcecially online, and it's only like 5 MB.

12-14-2008, 10:22 PM
That doesn't ean NFS won't come to the iPhone. All the development and such. They KNOW they will be making a lot of money off of it. The may be ending the franchise, but NFS will be on the iPhone
12-14-2008, 10:23 PM
Email to Burnout Crew

I emailed the Burnout team about a possible iphone Burnout game a while back. They said that at that time they were not interested in making one for the iphone. If I'm able to find that email I'll post it back up here.
12-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeersoup View Post
That doesn't ean NFS won't come to the iPhone. All the development and such. They KNOW they will be making a lot of money off of it. The may be ending the franchise, but NFS will be on the iPhone
No, Undercover is definitely coming, I mean, it's nearly complete if I recall what Craig said. I meant that if he could verify this to be true since he works at EA.
12-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Send a message via AIM to terrett101
Of course NFS will still come to the ipod, the game is basically complete. This is in regards to the franchise as a whole. It's a pity, the games are good, and there isn't much similar in the genre, at least not on the PC. If they just focused on making decent titles under the NFS branding, instead of forcing one out every year, then they would do better.
12-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Well the only games I played were NFS II, NFS III and NFS Hot Pursuit (Or High Stakes or something). Those games were damn awesome, so it'd be a real shame if the franchise got canned
12-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderRich721 View Post
I emailed the Burnout team about a possible iphone Burnout game a while back. They said that at that time they were not interested in making one for the iphone. If I'm able to find that email I'll post it back up here.
Well that sucks. Once they see NFS crushing sales records they'll more than likely reconsider...
12-14-2008, 10:36 PM
If you want to make money on the App Store, the sooner the better.
12-14-2008, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeersoup View Post
If you want to make money on the App Store, the sooner the better.
Not really since the appstore has not been appropriately "tested" until recently by the big developers and it takes a long time to develop a game of that magnitude. You can't just jump right at an unknown market, specially if you've invested a lot in your game. Imagine if NFS flops miserably, you think they'll bring anything new to the appstore hopping for a second chance? I wouldn't...