Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-07-2014, 06:09 AM

Default Gunship X - (by Hidden Elephant)

Quote:
NZ Release info :

The Game is out in New Zealand. It should be out in US at about 11 PM EST and Europe at around 12 AM UK time. Size of the app is 27.0 MB.

Price in NZ is $1.29 which should translate to USD $0.99

Requirements :
Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.

Take control of an AC-130 Gunship to defend humanity from invading hordes. Push back the intruders and give the humans a chance to be airlifted to safety.

For the people on the ground you are all that stands in the way of certain destruction. Use the overwhelming power of a 40mm Bofors cannon to subdue the countless waves of attackers before you. When the gibs really hit the fan, switch to the awe inspiring 105mm Howitzer, then take the fight in close with a 25mm Gatling gun.

With upgrades your plane will become a weapon of tremendous capabilities. You will have the power to sweep this mysterious enemy aside. But be careful. You might not be the only one with a long reach.

You are humanity’s last hope, now “lets break some stuff™”!

CONTROLLER SUPPORT
Play Gunship X with any Apple MFI compatible controller.

STAY CONNECTED
facebook.com/gunshipxapp
twitter.com/wfpix
iPhone Screenshots

Old 05-07-2014, 06:10 AM

Default Game Impressions

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by Sanuku; 05-07-2014 at 11:06 AM..
Old 05-07-2014, 07:05 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Defend humanity against invading hordes.... I'm down
Old 05-07-2014, 07:18 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

I hope later on someone can comment how they'd compare this to the original Zombie Gunship. I did notice that you can now take damage.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Lawliet View Post
I hope later on someone can comment how they'd compare this to the original Zombie Gunship. I did notice that you can now take damage.
It's like 5 times better. Better graphics, more involved enemies, multiple planes, 2 maps. It's pretty sweet.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:13 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Let me see...

Last edited by Chaos_u; 05-08-2014 at 05:13 PM..
Old 05-07-2014, 09:32 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Wait, so this isn't by limbic? Then it looks like a clone to me.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:22 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

I believe they are all from the team that made the original so it's a successor but I'll leave it to them to explain who they are. It's friendlier than the first in that hitting a human doesn't mean game over, just a lower score. If you liked the first, you should find this a great improvement.

Last edited by Echoen; 05-07-2014 at 10:46 AM..
Old 05-07-2014, 10:39 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by one.sixty.four View Post
Wait, so this isn't by limbic? Then it looks like a clone to me.
If they expanded on what Limbic had created in terms of gameplay mechanics, then this gets my respect.

If they only changed some GUI and some artstyles, then... I'll leave it at that.

Can anyone expand on this game's mechanics?
Old 05-07-2014, 10:46 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Oh and I guess since I was an early beta tester, I'm obliged to talk more about it.

The core mechanics of the first are all present here in that you control the artillery of a gunship that's armed with 3 upgradeable guns ranging from a fast firing vulcan to a slow but deadly 105mm Howitzer. You need to fend off the aliens rushing towards the landing zone that human survivors are trying to reach. Your score depends on how many aliens you kill, humans saved, survivors lost, and round time. This also affects how much cash you get to burn on upgrading your gunship, similar to the original game.

Speaking of game time, the devs wanted each round to last around 5-10 minutes for the average gamer. I could often get past 20 minutes in the versions I tested.

There's a 4th weapon that's new to Gunship X that you can use to quickly take out a Bomber-- an alien that will siege up and shoot right at you. I'm not sure of the final implementation of this but the missiles might be on a cooldown or limited per round.

The gunship now also has HP which you can also upgrade. The aliens do fire at you, right? It gets pretty hectic as the clock ticks on.

There were 2 locations I got to play in: The Docks and The Mendoza Line. The terrain can really get in the way of your shots such as bridges and cranes. The latter stage is interestingly based off of an actual location the devs call home IIRC.

Visually, it's more vibrant than the first, colored in mostly blue and yellow with red for major alerts. Overall, it feels more arcadey IMO, with how the units are colored and how they all explode into particles. Sounds are awesome and they have to with all the constant firing you'll be doing. There's also a lot of talk over the radio to make the experience seem more organic.

If you liked the first, you'll most definitely enjoy this one as it's got more flair, a few new mechanics, and a faster pace. The only change that might turn you off is that humans are expendable (killing one isn't game over). Some things I mentioned may be different from the release build as I sort of stopped participating in the Beta a few weeks back.

Last edited by Echoen; 05-07-2014 at 11:14 AM..