Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-10-2014, 10:08 PM

Default KeroBlaster - (By Studio Pixel)

This might pull me away from Wayward for a bit.
Edit: thanks to PSJ (I assume) for changing from universal to iphone. I assumed it was universal and didn't actually check. Hopefully that gets updated sometime soon to make the iPad only players happy.

Last edited by Nobunaga; 05-11-2014 at 11:27 AM..
Old 05-10-2014, 11:03 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Yes, it's out! Cave Story was a classic
Old 05-10-2014, 11:13 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Here's the link for the free PC prologue/demo Pink Hour
Old 05-10-2014, 11:15 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Youtube link | Pop Up

First ten minutes (PC version)

Youtube link | Pop Up
Old 05-10-2014, 11:25 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Impressions from PAX

http://www.twinfinite.net/blog/2014/...s-impressions/
Quote:
Kero Blaster retains the same sort of side-scrolling shooting found in Cave Story, but the difference here is that the game is much smaller and more linear this time around. Don’t let that fool you though, Kero Blaster still requires nerves of steel and fast reflexes as you blast your way through monsters, foliage, and gigantic bosses.

Your little frog guy is armed at first with a tiny pea shooter, but it can be upgraded at shops to increase its range and power, as well as ammo types, such as a wider green wave shot. Your health and defense stats can also be increased at these shops, all using the little green coins that enemies drop upon defeat.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/14/561...jin-soft-indie
Quote:
Kero Blaster features a frog who works at C&F, a company that develops teleportation technology. As a custodial scientist, the nameless frog is tasked with cleaning up the company's teleportation pods, which have become infested with strange, black, googly-eyed blobs. Armed with the titular blaster, the frog blasts otherworldly creatures away, buying gun upgrades and acquiring power-ups from bosses. It's vaguely reminiscent of Capcom's Mega Man games — it gets really challenging a few levels in, Ramachandran said — but with a unique low-fi 8-bit style.

The side-scrolling platformer-shooter, which controls surprisingly well on an iPhone, is coming to PC and iOS in May. (Kero Blaster was formerly known as Gero Blaster, but when Amaya rebooted the game, unhappy with its previous incarnation, he decided to tweak the name, Ramachandran said.)
http://operationrainfall.com/2014/04...-kero-blaster/
Quote:
Back to the task at hand: Kero Blaster is definitely “another Pixel game”, but it is far from another Cave Story...Environments feel more detailed than anything I’ve seen from Studio Pixel thus far. And the characters/enemies–while certainly possessing the charm of his typical pixel art–were definitely unique, and sometimes intimidating.

Instead of giving you an HP gauge, Kero Blaster has hearts for a life meter. I was only given two–which means enemies could only hit me twice before my number was up. Some enemies drop hearts, some…really like to take them away, for lack of a better phrase.

Weapons aren’t upgraded by defeating foes, but instead by making purchases with coins dropped by foes. A lot of times, I was forced to decide between upgrading a weapon to make myself more powerful (but remain vulnerable), or upgrade my maximum number of hearts (for less vulnerability, but less power). I think it’s a game that’s going to make you think about your play-style, especially if there’s a ton of variety in the bosses you face, and many hidden things to find in the game’s various levels (I found a secret or two, for sure).

Kero Blaster is sure to provide a meaningful experience for those who know very well of Pixel’s work, as well as those who aren’t as familiar.
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/gero...ean-brain-dead
Quote:
In fact, you'll notice the Gunstar Heroes vibe right away: When you hold down the fire button, the protagonist locks his gun in that direction, allowing you to lay down a rapid stream of bullets while maneuvering freely away from threats. And the level design definitely takes advantage of this mechanic, with each enemy encounter feeling almost like a puzzle. Rather than running in blindly and blasting foes, you really need to think about how an enemy is positioned and how best to deal with them. For instance, pink crocodile-like creatures lay burrowed in the ground, waiting for you to while safely pass below your weapon's line of sight, then springing from the ground and making a beeline for you from behind. So the best solution is to face backward, start shooting, and run backward so that you'll greet them with projectiles once they pop up.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:27 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Player impressions from the NeoGAF OT
Quote:
I'm really liking the difficulty curve in this game so far. Doesn't start out overwhelming or intimidating at all, but clearly ramps up quickly once its clear you've mastered the basics.

I can tell that no upgrade runs are going to be downright brutal.
Quote:
Cleared a few stages, I think I got all the weapons and the jetpack so far. It feels really easy compared to Pink Hour though. I hope it's just a curve. The game is really fun in terms of how the weapons handle, and the level design and enemy patterns are really fun. The way they react and make you adjust to how to progress and change weapons around is great, it's just... pretty easy. Maybe it's because I've been playing the shit out of Blackthorne in the past week. Lol.

I've still died a few times here and there, and some of the areas were definitely trickier than others, but I've never gotten a game over yet. It's definitely going to be a really replayable game though, since I can see myself wanting to go through the previous stages again. Hopefully there's a sort of hard mode loop that unlocks after you beat the game? We'll see. Music and graphics are fantastic. <3
Old 05-10-2014, 11:28 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Sigh.... Not universal
Old 05-10-2014, 11:32 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by copaeci View Post
Sigh.... Not universal
What? Forget that then.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:58 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

According to another player, a playthrough clocks in around 2+ hours, but there is replay value and reasons for multiple playthroughs.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:01 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

As I said in the upcoming thread I can't believe it's ios7.1 only. Haven't come across that before