★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Comb - match-three the stylish way for iPhone and iPod touch

08-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Comb - match-three the stylish way for iPhone and iPod touch

Hi all,

we would like to inform you, that our new iPhone / iPod touch game "Comb" is available on the AppStore:
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=326650189&mt=8

In the style of a match 3 game it combines features of puzzle and strategy games.
Watch our YouTube video:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Some more pictures from the game can be found here:
http://www.warmbold.eu/Comb/Pictures.html

It's comfortable to play Comb with gestures for rotating hexagons and to use the accelerometer for dissolving rows. The hard part is to achieve real high scores. You do this by creating gold, white and black hexagons.

Our intention was to create a challenging, addictive and also stylish game and since we're two private developers, we're looking forward to any feedback!

Attention: I will give away 3 promo codes in a few minutes in the "Promo codes and Contests"-forum, so watch out.

Cheers,
Patrick
08-21-2009, 03:18 PM
this looks pretty kool, there are a lot of other games like it, but this one has it's own unique twist, I like it

!iPocket Godi!
Creator of: The Pygmy Den!
Moderator of: The iPocket Games Forums
Beta Tester for: A&B AC and Pocket God

08-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Oh yeah, I'm interested in this one. I love Trism and this looks similar in some ways and different in others. I'm on my iPhone now, so I won't be able to snag a code, but I'll check back later to what everyone thinks.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
08-21-2009, 03:41 PM
puzzle games! u know im all over that!
08-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Comb code give away - 1 minute to go...

code give away thread will start in one minute...
08-21-2009, 04:04 PM
I love codes...

Plus+ Network Username: guant
08-21-2009, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guant View Post
I love codes...
Well you missed 'em.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
08-21-2009, 05:13 PM
OK - some first impressions -

The game seems very well put together -

Menus are straight forward. Has a lot of nice options.

Instructions are a must - just diving in and playing will only frustrate you.

This is NOT a timed game - it is all about strategy - of course luck comes into play as you can't control the blocks that come onto the playing field - but setting things up for intial combos is possible.

I did not try accelerometer controls and found the gestures for rotation did not work well for me - so I had the rotation work only one way - this has its problems as well - but I'll discuss that later.

Basically you need to put 3 blocks together on a diagonal for them to disappear. To do this you rotate the blocks to get them to line up. Controls are well explained.

You can set up 4, 5, 6 or more on diagonals to get higher scores and special blocks. Nothing disappears however until you press either the left or the right tab on the bottom -depending on what tap you press blocks will be taken from the left or right diagonal respectively. Moreover, the blocks on the same diagonal will disappear in that same order - right to left, or left to right - so if you have several diagonals -you need to know which ones will fall first...

There are bombs that are introduced, and these only have a certain number of moves before you die - here is a problem with the rotation controls - the bomb clicks down 1 move for every move you make - so if you touch a wrong tile - too bad, if you rotate the wrong way - you could use 5 moves rather than 1 move to get a block in the right position. And for me - using the rotation controls - I could not predict which way it would go anyways... so I turned it off. You can change the rotation by pressing a small button on the bottom - but if you forget? It just makes it difficult.

The tiles on the side - since they don't make up an entire hexagon thingie - can't necessarily be moved depeding on if they are on the far edge - introduces strategy, but also frustrating.

The graphics are very nice. Menus are well designed. Options are good. Gameplay needs some tweaking. A solid puzzler though. I'm glad that I am able to play it. Plays like hexic to some extent for those that have tried that on XBLA.
Will likely frustrate the casual puzzler in its present form, but the more hard core will find this nice and challenging.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer

Last edited by pluto6; 08-21-2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: oooppps
08-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Any codes left? Would love to try this game!

EDIT: never mind, found the promo thread, nothing left...

Last edited by zztfox; 08-21-2009 at 05:40 PM.
08-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto6 View Post
OK - some first impressions -

The game seems very well put together -

Menus are straight forward. Has a lot of nice options.

Instructions are a must - just diving in and playing will only frustrate you.

This is NOT a timed game - it is all about strategy - of course luck comes into play as you can't control the blocks that come onto the playing field - but setting things up for intial combos is possible.

I did not try accelerometer controls and found the gestures for rotation did not work well for me - so I had the rotation work only one way - this has its problems as well - but I'll discuss that later.

Basically you need to put 3 blocks together on a diagonal for them to disappear. To do this you rotate the blocks to get them to line up. Controls are well explained.

You can set up 4, 5, 6 or more on diagonals to get higher scores and special blocks. Nothing disappears however until you press either the left or the right tab on the bottom -depending on what tap you press blocks will be taken from the left or right diagonal respectively. Moreover, the blocks on the same diagonal will disappear in that same order - right to left, or left to right - so if you have several diagonals -you need to know which ones will fall first...

There are bombs that are introduced, and these only have a certain number of moves before you die - here is a problem with the rotation controls - the bomb clicks down 1 move for every move you make - so if you touch a wrong tile - too bad, if you rotate the wrong way - you could use 5 moves rather than 1 move to get a block in the right position. And for me - using the rotation controls - I could not predict which way it would go anyways... so I turned it off. You can change the rotation by pressing a small button on the bottom - but if you forget? It just makes it difficult.

The tiles on the side - since they don't make up an entire hexagon thingie - can't necessarily be moved depeding on if they are on the far edge - introduces strategy, but also frustrating.

The graphics are very nice. Menus are well designed. Options are good. Gameplay needs some tweaking. A solid puzzler though. I'm glad that I am able to play it. Plays like hexic to some extent for those that have tried that on XBLA.
Will likely frustrate the casual puzzler in its present form, but the more hard core will find this nice and challenging.
I found the "gesture" very easy once I figured out the basics.

1) Place your finger on what you want to be the center hex.
2) Slide your finger left or right from that initial press to rotate the hex exactly how you need it.

Being an idiot who didn't initially read the rules I had no clue why those horizontal groups weren't clearing nor which bar on the bottom caused lines to clear. That too became clear enough eventually.

To blow up any groupings of three or more in a SE/SW orientation hit the left bottom button and for the NW/SE orientation, hit the button on the right button.

A DAMN original match three with cool hazards and combo systems!

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews